IGNORED

England Job - Now With Poll Added

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Absolute disaster in my view. .. but I thought that when Cloughie wasn't selected and was proved wrong then ..... NOT. If Fergie was English they wouldn't appoint him either.

Same old FA formula ... a man in a grey suit. Set a team up like robots not to lose. Dull, dull, dull.

These overpaid premadonas need more than a very bland tactician. We play a high momentum game ... they need to be inspired and motivated to play that sort of game and give 110%. Only Harry could get these multi-millionaires putting a shift and a half in... someone they believe in and respect.

Just shocking ineptitude from the blazers yet again.

You don't mention who you would have wanted as England manager.

I rememberwWhen he was manager of Switzerland , they mugged us in the Euros when we were playing at home, they looked far better tha us. Of course that was against the Brilliant El Tel side, well the fact of the matter our Tel wasn't great as England manager, he never had to qualify for the Euros, and we we crap through most of those games apart from the game against teh Netherlands. But for some reason, people believe El tel to be great as well, his England career, as manager really amounted to very little.

if the FA were stuck to appointing a Englishman as manager, really cannot see anyone other than Roy, put all the usual waffle (not blue) aside from the press. Look at the experience, look at things won, look at the international experience, look at non footballing activites. Nobody in theri sane mind would look further than Hodgson.

I think people get two weighed down in "he was crap for Liverpool" and overlook the rest of the achievements the man has in his career.

i am not saying he will do brilliant things for England, but he is the best out there, if a Englishman, is the critera the FA were going by, by a country mile.

They won't go for Derek.

He's 10-1 and 4th fav at the mo...

VERY IMPORTANT POINT - I have resisted the temptation to put another 'who do you want as our next gaffer' poll thread for fear it might weaken the resolve of our board in case the baggies come calling and I URGE everyone else to do the same. last thing we want is to bring attention to the subject.

I voted for Arry.. stunned at how far, currently, Woy is ahead.

I'm still surprised Arry even wanted it, It's not like he can make nice profits from it. The blood sucking leech.

OK, shall we judge him on his Liverpool record?

He actually has a better record at Liverpool than 'King' Kenny; Woy won 13 out of 31 games, KK has won 13 in 36 this season, despite spending vast quantities of money. I think when put in context, the Liverpool episode wasn't quite as bad for Woy as people think, Liverpool just aren't very good

Woy every time for me he is the only English Manager with internation experence (smaller sides) Europian experance and is use to takeing avg players to the next lvl,

The plays who don't want him I sugeest the retire from international football now as Woy won't pick you,

Hopefully it will mean the end for Terry, Rio, Lampard, Johnson, Downing, Milner and all the other flops who would rather play for their club and earn money then play for their country,

Looking forward to Woy reshaping the squad best manager arvailable and mile better then Arry,

Those only looking at his liverpool time remember he had little money to spend and had a change of ownership "King" kenny has had far more money and has done a worse job, I'd rather sign a paulson on the cheep then spend £35 million on a championship striker

Can't believe your saying that WBA will target McInnes - Surely no chance as he has only just come to City, done a great job and has the backing of all of the fans and the board. He's just cleared out some of the riff raff, which will allow him to start building his own team - staying at City will give him experience and a massive chance to show what he can do buy getting city to the top end of the table. I'm sure one day he will be good enough for a Premier League club but McInnes has a smart head.. I don't think he would jump the gun and risk damaging his career by leaving us.

Can't believe your saying that WBA will target McInnes - Surely no chance as he has only just come to City, done a great job and has the backing of all of the fans and the board. He's just cleared out some of the riff raff, which will allow him to start building his own team - staying at City will give him experience and a massive chance to show what he can do buy getting city to the top end of the table. I'm sure one day he will be good enough for a Premier League club but McInnes has a smart head.. I don't think he would jump the gun and risk damaging his career by leaving us.

he won't leave job half done he didn't do that at St Johnson while other clubs came knocking

he won't leave job half done he didn't do that at St Johnson while other clubs came knocking

Never say never..... I can't see that he would, but it is a job he applied for before!

The question is other than the fact McInnes played for WBA, why would they want him? Sure he's kept us up but his record in the Championship is:

Played: 35 Won: 11 Drawn: 10 Lost: 14 Win Percentage: 31.43%

but Roy Hodgsons record with West Brom is:

Played: 52 Won: 20 Drawn: 12 Lost: 20 Win Percentage: 38.46%

They may look similar but Hodgson is managing an over acheiving team against team like Manchester United, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal and still coming out with a better record. I can understand the argument that McInnes hasn't got to put his own mark on Bristol City yet but in realism he's probably brought in more players on loan than Hodgson signed.

I think the only reason McInnes has even been mentioned is because:

a) He loves WBA and applied for the job before now and

b) because their fans still love him from his playing days.

The thing is with that is that it screams out "Tinnion" to me, a man who was not experienced enough for the job, loved the club and wanted to manage it but it was destined to go bad. McInnes may have a fair amount of experience but I think the difference in managing a Championship club with his experience is one thing but managing a Premier League team who have been punching above their weight for some time.... bad move for him and WBA.

I just can't see it.

I'm sorry for being negative here, but I really can't see him doing well and I have visions of one of football's nice guys being victimised by the media when we fail miserably yet again ala Steve McLaren.

As for whether he's the right man for it, I have no idea. I'd like to think he has as much passion and ambition for the job as any Englishman, but I just can't believe he has anywhere near as much managerial quality as the other top European coaches.

I'm sorry for being negative here, but I really can't see him doing well and I have visions of one of football's nice guys being victimised by the media when we fail miserably yet again ala Steve McLaren.

As for whether he's the right man for it, I have no idea. I'd like to think he has as much passion and ambition for the job as any Englishman, but I just can't believe he has anywhere near as much managerial quality as the other top European coaches.

There was a great interview with him in a Swedish magazine four years ago, here's a translation

Roy, why don't English manager dare to follow your example and try their luck abroad?

- When someone starts their manager career he's worried about leaving his country and be forgotten. Also, the wages you can get in Scandinavia or Cyprus - those kind of countries offering a market - is a big disadvantage. But the biggest disadvantage is if you don't succeed abroad you lose everything. On top of that certain things are required if you move abroad with your family, maybe to learn a new language, a new culture... all those things which are an added burden for a young coach.

How many languages do you speak yourself?

- Five. English, Swedish, French, Itaian and German. If I'm to be honest I learned Swedish out of politeness. It wasn't required since the players understood English well. They actually preferred team talk in English. What you have to do in every manager job is to win the respect from the players. They might give you an extra chance because you're English, but if you don't convince them their effort will be worth it your "English advantage" will be worth nothing.

You and Bob Houghton are often referred to as the ones who changed football in Scandinavia and introduced long balls. Is that fair?

- People have such preconceptions about "English" and "German" football. Our preconception about German football is based on what we remember from their success in the 1970s - it's Bayern Munich and the national side. To me that's narrow minded. What Bobby and I introduced in Sweden was not so much "English football" with long balls but a different way of defending.

How?

- Instead of playing with a team scattered from one end of the pitch to the other, with a sweeper staying in his penalty area and a centre forward never taking a step down the field, we created a system with zonal defending, four defenders, players pushing up the team where the ball was transported faster towards the areas for finishes. But the Swedes didn't like that their football was dominated by two English blokes. Bobby won in 1974 and 1975. I won in 1976, he won 1977 and I won 1979. Not until Eriksson's arrival with IFK Göteborg was it possible to talk about "a Swedish style". But to be honest I'm not sure what Eriksson did to make the style Swedish, except that he copied everything we had done.

Considering you changed a lot internationally, isn't it a bit sad that your name wasn't mention ahead of the appointment of a new England manager?

- I don't think much about that job anymore. Media nowadays use words such as "sexy" about football and it doesn't fit very well in the description of me.

But football experts outside England can't comprehend why you haven't been offered a top job in your native country. It must irritate you as well.

- I don't feel unprivileged in any way. I've been a manager for 33 years now, and I've worked less than five of those in England. I can't expect to be as well known as Alan Curbishley or Sam Allardyce, who have always coached in England. I'm satisfied with having made myself a good reputation abroad.

How do you intend to make changes in Fulham to reach success there?

- Even if it can be upsetting to some people my ambitions with Fulham are modest. I can't understand how some clubs can claim they work in a sensible manner when they have huge losses. How can it be a success if they build up hundreds of millions in debt every year? I'm pleased with having a chairman willing to help in every way he can, even if he's not prepared to do what the Arabs at Manchester City are doing. The only year Inter showed a profit after Massimo Moratti took over was my second season there. I'm proud of that.

So you think managers have a financial responsibility at the clubs?

- Wenger works that way. In a way it's naive. We're in a league where two losses in a row means someone else is stood outside knocking at the door to take over your job. The logical for a manager would be to not regard the economy at all and say: "I want that player, I'm going to sign him and I don't care if we pay twice as much than we should because it will get me another two points". But that's not my philosophy. Everywhere I've been I've left a platform for my successor to build from. It gives me a huge satisfaction - even if it's not recognized.

Absolute disaster in my view. .. but I thought that when Cloughie wasn't selected and was proved wrong then ..... NOT. If Fergie was English they wouldn't appoint him either.

Same old FA formula ... a man in a grey suit. Set a team up like robots not to lose. Dull, dull, dull.

These overpaid premadonas need more than a very bland tactician. We play a high momentum game ... they need to be inspired and motivated to play that sort of game and give 110%. Only Harry could get these multi-millionaires putting a shift and a half in... someone they believe in and respect.

Just shocking ineptitude from the blazers yet again.

I disagree with everything you said there. International football tournaments are won by the sides who are tactically astute. You need to do more than put a shift in to be successful. It is also more or less impossible to play high momentum football in temperatures of 25 to 35 centigrade. If our highly paid premadonnas are unable to carry out the manager's tactical instructions they should be dropped. It's as simple as that.

The question is other than the fact McInnes played for WBA, why would they want him? Sure he's kept us up but his record in the Championship is:

Played: 35 Won: 11 Drawn: 10 Lost: 14 Win Percentage: 31.43%

but Roy Hodgsons record with West Brom is:

Played: 52 Won: 20 Drawn: 12 Lost: 20 Win Percentage: 38.46%

They may look similar but Hodgson is managing an over acheiving team against team like Manchester United, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal and still coming out with a better record. I can understand the argument that McInnes hasn't got to put his own mark on Bristol City yet but in realism he's probably brought in more players on loan than Hodgson signed.

I think the only reason McInnes has even been mentioned is because:

a) He loves WBA and applied for the job before now and

b) because their fans still love him from his playing days.

The thing is with that is that it screams out "Tinnion" to me, a man who was not experienced enough for the job, loved the club and wanted to manage it but it was destined to go bad. McInnes may have a fair amount of experience but I think the difference in managing a Championship club with his experience is one thing but managing a Premier League team who have been punching above their weight for some time.... bad move for him and WBA.

I just can't see it.

While I agree with your reasoning, perhaps win ratio alone is a bit misleading criteria. Sounds silly given managers are judged on just that but given the mess he inherited, a 33% win ratio is pretty bloody good! Yeah, Hodgson has done excellent at WBA no doubt about that, he's tightened them up at the back and no mistake and deserves his crack at the England job.

He though inherited a fair few players now doing well there- Odemwingie, Brunt, Mulumbu- the first 3 all solid PL performers, Dorrans was another and Olsson is still in the team- that is 3-5 good PL performers. A team who incidentally in the 1st half of the season drew at OT from 2 down, won at Emirates and also tonked Everton 4-1 at Goodison! My point is Hodgson walked into an easier situation, had a better inheritance if you like than McInnes.Di Matteo's main problem at the end was that he lost the dressing room a bit.

Archived