IGNORED

England Job - Now With Poll Added

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hodgson struggled to deal with the player power at Liverpool..

Surely this job is too big for him..

He managed Inter twice without any problems,International teams without any problems.

Liverpool only had a couple English players, if they don't like him then tough, we don't need them anyway.

The manager calls the shots, not the players.

To say Wayne Rooney is not world class is laughable!

Name me just one time he has done anything of note at world level, not club level.

He has proved he is prem class and European class, but flattered to deceive at international and world level.

Messi likewise, only when you do it at the very top can you be called world class imo. Both still have a lot of time to change this, so they still could be classed as world class in a few years.

I know I'll get shot down for this, but that is my belief, "world class" players have to do it at world level, a failure to do so proves they could only do it up to national or European/south American level.

Name me just one time he has done anything of note at world level, not club level.

He has proved he is prem class and European class, but flattered to deceive at international and world level.

Messi likewise, only when you do it at the very top can you be called world class imo. Both still have a lot of time to change this, so they still could be classed as world class in a few years.

I know I'll get shot down for this, but that is my belief, "world class" players have to do it at world level, a failure to do so proves they could only do it up to national or European/south American level.

World class means you consistently perform in international games. Rooney wouldn't impress many if they weren't aware of his club success.

So messi is not world class then?

Name a club that would not want to sign Wayne Rooney?

imo not until he has proved it, like maradona did before him.

No denying he is brilliant, hopefully he will take his brilliance to the world level, sooner rather than later.

imo not until he has proved it, like maradona did before him.

No denying he is brilliant, hopefully he will take his brilliance to the world level, sooner rather than later.

A serious question, Do you think the world cup is a superior competition to the champions league?

So messi is not world class then?

Name a club that would not want to sign Wayne Rooney?

You can't say you've achieved something until you've achieved it. Rooney has never been a great international player. He could be though.

He'd be wanted by most clubs

Consider domestic/national level motor racing. No driver would be considered world class until they had competed successfully in international races, would they?

You can't say you've achieved something until you've achieved it. Rooney has never been a great international player. He could be though.

He'd be wanted by most clubs

Consider domestic/national level motor racing. No driver would be considered world class until they had competed successfully in international races, would they?

Driving is an individual skill without the reliance of 10 other people around you.

A serious question, Do you think the world cup is a superior competition to the champions league?

Good question - the top 10 world club sides and top ten world sides would most likely be close - its just the same players pretty much shared out differently!

Driving is an individual skill without the reliance of 10 other people around you.

It's not the point I'm making. One way or another Rooney hasn't got either the physical or mental ability to give an individual performance in an international competition. At least not throughout a competition. If he did, he would have already.

Rooney's made 73 appearances with 28 goals. Considering most of those are in qualifiers or friendlies against sides supposed to be (by the admittedly inaccurate rankings) weaker than England it is an average record especially when you consider he's got better than one in two for Man U. For comparison Owen got 40 in 89, Shearer 30 in 63 and Lineker 48 in 80. I think it's fair to say Rooney still has a lot to prove on an international level if that's the criteria for calling someone World Class.

Messi's record from advanced midfield is similar to Rooney's (68 apps, 22 goals).

It's not the point I'm making. One way or another Rooney hasn't got either the physical or mental ability to give an individual performance in an international competition. At least not throughout a competition. If he did, he would have already.

He has as he gives those performances week in week out at club level, you can't hide the fact that at international level the squad has been piss poor for years.

By the time Rooney retires he will have broken every record going both internationally for England and at club level for united.

Hard one. A brilliant league team should beat a brilliant international team.

But a world cup is the pinnacle of your career, and you should be playing against most of the best players at a wc.

It is a different type of football as well.

I know what you are getting at.

But world class players have to do it at the biggest stage, where the pressure is that much greater.

Ah, but Rooney also chips in assists (as I'm sure Messi does)- as for people asking about his impact in tournaments, I recall him in Euro 2004 being superb.

So do most attacking players. Rooney is the best of an average bunch of England players but I think World Class is a stretch at the moment. Maybe in a couple of years.

He has as he gives those performances week in week out at club level, you can't hide the fact that at international level the squad has been piss poor for years.

By the time Rooney retires he will have broken every record going both internationally for England and at club level for united.

Piss poor by England fan expectations maybe but his whole England career we've been ranked no lower than 15 and play eight or nine out of ten games against lower ranked opposition.

Rooney might break the scoring record if he gets enough caps but ratio wise he is miles behind others.

'ampadu' wrote at 20:57 on 29 Apr:

Chris Hughton ? No thanks, perhaps we can get another experienced manager like Roy who has proved to be the best manager (in the top flight for us) since Big Ron. Then again what experience manager can we get ? We are now an attractive proposition as a mid table Prem team with a decent squad but will we pay the big bucks to a top man, maybe not.

I hope we don't go for inexperience like McInnes who has made a right mess of the Bristol job.

Hahahaha what a mug.

When you get named world player of the year twice,and world young player of the year 3 times by the time your 24,I think you earn the right to be classed as world class!

Albion's next manager - Official thread.

Martinez if we can persuade him or Paul Lambert.

I doubt our chances of getting either.

If i had to put my shirt on one bloke JP will fancy it's...

Curbishley...a safe pair of hands.

McInnes is in with a squeak though as cheap option

How many prem teams hire managers from the championship or below? I can't remember any. I think we will be okay.

Generally a lowish ranking manager will get promoted from the championship up to the prem with a team, that's it.

Chairmen can't be seen to be taking gambles when so much money is at stake.

Nothing to worry about here I think.

In a way this could be a blessing in disguise if they do not go for Del this year.

My reasoning is because if they get a new manager who isn't Del and Del managed to get us into the play-offs next year for example which made him look great, they may keep their manager if he's only been in the job a year, not like Roy who would have been in it for a couple of years. This is clutching at straws, I think they will have McInnes on the shortlist. Hopefully they go for the experienced manager again though!

Archived