IGNORED

England Job - Now With Poll Added

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Okay I'll take your points.

What have the other hopefuls ever done to warrant the job?

What experience have they ever had in Europe, let alone international level?

Well I don't know who the hopefuls are.

'Arry was great at Pompey, and has done a great job at Spurs.

Of course he has no international experience, but I suppose he is currently managing top world class players, such as Bale, Modric.

Also many current players back him, and that isn't for no reason.

I really don't know who I would choose, possibly to keep everyone happy it would be Harry, however could he do the business I don't know?

We did bring in Capello who had a fantastic club record, but flopped-ish for England.

Not really any worse then "King Kennys" dismal attempt

But remember no-one is suggesting Kenny for England. So no need comparing him to Roy.

His win ratio may have been poor but he only lost 5 of 22 matches and managed them to 33rd in the world rankings , their highest ever placing.

However many of the games were 0-0, and remember the criticism Capello got for boring football!

Yes, but let's not forget when it mattered (in qualification) his record was actually pretty damn good and the Finns wanted to extend his contract!!!

But they had no pressure or any real expectations, unlike England.

Well I don't know who the hopefuls are.

'Arry was great at Pompey, and has done a great job at Spurs.

Of course he has no international experience, but I suppose he is currently managing top world class players, such as Bale, Modric.

Also many current players back him, and that isn't for no reason.

I really don't know who I would choose, possibly to keep everyone happy it would be Harry, however could he do the business I don't know?

We did bring in Capello who had a fantastic club record, but flopped-ish for England.

To be honest it makes no difference, if a manager has poor tools he has poor tools.

I'd rather hodgson than redknapp, he is far better tactically. Redknapp sends teams out to play, much like kk, at international level I can't see it working.

Hodgson knows what it takes at international level, I think he can take the average players we have a little further. If he is lucky, 2nd round.

Honestly? Who ******* cares? We're going out in the group stages anyway. Until we get something done about the grass roots level in this country and make sure our best young players are taught to play the ball properly and get to play first team football from 18 the England manager job is an irrelevant career ender.

Anyway, Redknapp would be useless as an England manager because there's no transfer market and the press have decided we must have a proper Englander so this is the only real option.

But remember no-one is suggesting Kenny for England. So no need comparing him to Roy.

However many of the games were 0-0, and remember the criticism Capello got for boring football!

But they had no pressure or any real expectations, unlike England.

I take your point but this is Finland we are talking about. They have never qualified for a major tournament and are a true minnow. To only lose a quarter of the games he managed is a real achievement.Keeping clean sheets as well. Capello played negative with far better players than Roy would have had at his diposal with Finland.

To be honest it makes no difference, if a manager has poor tools he has poor tools.

I'd rather hodgson than redknapp, he is far better tactically. Redknapp sends teams out to play, much like kk, at international level I can't see it working.

Hodgson knows what it takes at international level, I think he can take the average players we have a little further. If he is lucky, 2nd round.

I don't think he does have poor tools, most England players play for top teams.

Rooney is one of the best around, and his strike partner at Utd, Welbeck is English. They are top the league.

Players like Jones, Young, Cleverly etc wouldn't be at Utd if they weren't any good.

Also you can't forget with have Hart who is incredible, Cole who was amazing against Barca etc etc.

We just need a man who can bring the team together, that's what Redknapp does.

I take your point but this is Finland we are talking about. They have never qualified for a major tournament and are a true minnow. To only lose a quarter of the games he managed is a real achievement.Keeping clean sheets as well. Capello played negative with far better players than Roy would have had at his diposal with Finland.

True, it is impressive what he done with Finland, keeping clean sheets with a poor team was impressive.

However was there much pressure on him? I highly doubt that.

Wouldn't mind Hodgson for England- few points...

1) Someone said we have massive expectations- indeed we do, unfortunately they don't necessarily align with reality.

2) Hodgson has experience of Serie A, International football- he also knows how to organise a defence mostly (though his decision to play 4-4-2 at Liverpool wasn't exactly inspired- hopefully he has learnt from that by the time England job comes around).

3) Redknapp he's a very good man manager yeah, but when it comes up vs sides who are either tactically smart, on an even keel or better he is quite often found wanting...Some results from the last 2 seasons to illustrate this:

1) Real Madrid 4 Tottenham 0

2) Man Utd 3 Tottenham 0

3) Tottenham 1 Man City 5

4) Man City 3 Tottenham 2

5) Arsenal 5 Tottenham 2

6) Tottenham 1 Man Utd 3

7) FA Cup semi 5-1 loss v Chelsea

To that, one can also perhaps say Inter 4 Tottenham 3, though the Bale hattrick was superb make no mistake they were outplayed and 4-3 flattered them. Young Boys Bern going 3 up in quick time in the qualifying rounds. I guess if he is to be criticised for that, then the 3-1 v Inter at home and the 1-0 agg v AC definitely count in his favour but overall? He seems to me to be found wanting in the big games, or vs tactically smart sides.

Rooney is one of the best around, and his strike partner at Utd, Welbeck is English. They are top the league.

Players like Jones, Young, Cleverly etc wouldn't be at Utd if they weren't any good.

Also you can't forget with have Hart who is incredible, Cole who was amazing against Barca etc etc.

Sorry, he has piss poor international players.

To think otherwise is being supremely optimistic. International football is completely different to national and European. We are 20-30 years behind in our hoof and rush approach to international football.

I dont care whos going to be next england manager just like I dont care whos gunna be the next macclesfield manager (If they need one?). Whoever plays couldnt really give a s***, they say they do and some are convincing. I shall not moan when we get knocked out and good luck to whichever credable manager loses his dignity when taking this job. I care about my club a million times more than my country, but if anyone foreign slags us off il defend us. Rant over

How did these Man Utd players you list, with the exception of Hart and Cole (who I really rate highly) do in Europe? Not so well- and Euro 2012 style of football is far more like International football than PL football! Jones, Young, Cleverley etc were found wanting somewhat. Rooney is great I agree, but will be missing for the 1st 2 games, Welbeck I like.

How did these Man Utd players you list, with the exception of Hart and Cole (who I really rate highly) do in Europe? Not so well- and Euro 2012 style of football is far more like International football than PL football! Jones, Young, Cleverley etc were found wanting somewhat. Rooney is great I agree, but will be missing for the 1st 2 games, Welbeck I like.

Exactly, Cole is our only world class player.

Rooney, I don't think is world class, every major tournament he has played he has been at best average.

I await someone to make a Messi comment now :)

They won it in 07/08, Chelsea are in the final this year - squad includes Terry (forget him) Cole, Strurridge.

My point is they can do it for their club, but not for England.

I think Capello's approach is somewhat down to that.

They won it in 07/08, Chelsea are in the final this year - squad includes Terry (forget him) Cole, Strurridge.

What about the previous 46 years, can't all be cappello's fault

Look at the other top European teams. They all have far better players than we do. Germany, Spain, Netherlands, Italy and France etc

Look at the other top European teams. They all have far better players than we do. Germany, Spain, Netherlands, Italy and France etc

Wouldn't say France or Italy do. Both squads very poor and old.

However Germany, Spain and Holland have great squads. Thats due to their grassroots football.

Touche.

However I mean recently.

You may be missing my point.

Until our players are coached properly, we are going to be shite at international level.

While youngsters still get bombed out for being too small. While coaching is based around pace and power, we will never compete internationally. We have to go back to basics of touch and technique, once mastered, then we can concentrate on the other stuff.

In England, youth is based on winning, not honing technique. Great, we win stuff from the age 8 to about 14. Then we get taken apart by players who have been taught properly.

Everything is wrong with the way we coach, it is the reason we have so many foreign players making our teams look good in Europe.

We won't win anything anytime soon, until changes are made at the very lowest level.

You may be missing my point.

Until our players are coached properly, we are going to be shite at international level.

While youngsters still get bombed out for being too small. While coaching is based around pace and power, we will never compete internationally. We have to go back to basics of touch and technique, once mastered, then we can concentrate on the other stuff.

In England, youth is based on winning, not honing technique. Great, we win stuff from the age 8 to about 14. Then we get taken apart by players who have been taught properly.

Everything is wrong with the way we coach, it is the reason we have so many foreign players making our teams look good in Europe.

We won't win anything anytime soon, until changes are made at the very lowest level.

This.

Also but I must be alone on this but every time i see Danny Wellbeck he looks awful, totally uncoordinated and reminiscent of A young Wayne Allison.

Him and sturridge, both get rave reviews by the media, look decidedly average to me.

They won it in 07/08- the only common denominator between those players you list and those in that squad who made an impact was Rooney!! Queiroz was also so key to them winning it that year, his attention to detail vs Barca over 2 legs was pivotal- Neville has mentioned it in the past. Fair points on Sturridge and Terry, but overall with the possible exception of defensive unit + Rooney we don't have the players at this moment. Jones, Cleverley, Sturridge et al may become those players in the future but not atm.

Hodgson struggled to deal with the player power at Liverpool..

Surely this job is too big for him..

Nope, just crap board room at the time. Two stints at inter would suggest he can handle big players.

Exactly, Cole is our only world class player.

Rooney, I don't think is world class, every major tournament he has played he has been at best average.

I await someone to make a Messi comment now :)

To say Wayne Rooney is not world class is laughable!

Sorry, he has piss poor international players.

To think otherwise is being supremely optimistic. International football is completely different to national and European. We are 20-30 years behind in our hoof and rush approach to international football.

Agree. As said above, we need to start again at grass roots. Like Germany did in 2000. Yes it's a long process, but we will reap the awards in a few years time.

Thanks to the Premier League and the money that is floating around, many English players are deemed to be "world class"....when in fact, there no where near.

Lampard, excellent player at league level....poor at international level. Same with numerous others.

Then we have players like Rooney.....who have no pride, passion and certainly do not care one jot about how they are some of the luckiest people on the planet.

The last World Cup killed it for me....I don't give a toss about England and it's over hyped twits. I just wish FIFA had banned Rooney for the full 3 games

Archived