IGNORED

Crowd Trouble At The Gate

swampy

i remember being chased across greville smyth park by load of those Chelsea fans. Got to about the flyover, and some city lads must have given some Chelsea lads a pasteing, they were looking a bit battle weary, as me an my mate got to the fly over, these guys saw what was happening and just charged in, never have i been so happy to see the CSF. I don't get involved in Hoolie stuff, but those lads came to me and my mates rescue that day, thoes Chelsea head hunters were looking to belt anything that moved!

Is that the same "proper hard hooligans" you were having a pop at me about in the Ukraine thread.

Its nice that your proud of it, sounds like you have alot to live for.

I do actually, although I had better scraps when I did the doors in town and the taxi rank on Colston Avenue. Nothing wrong a bit of fisty cuffs to get the adrenaline going.

Is that the same "proper hard hooligans" you were having a pop at me about in the Ukraine thread.

Yep. Like I have said many times, I do not agree with it, I was trying to get away from it. If two like minded mobs are happy to smack each other about and stops innocent bystanders (me and my mate) getting a pasteing because we were wearing city tops on our walk out of the ground, then yes, I was happy to see them get in the way.

If there were not hoolies in the first place, then I wouldn't have had to run!

Simple as that.

Yep. Like I have said many times, I do not agree with it, I was trying to get away from it. If two like minded mobs are happy to smack each other about and stops innocent bystanders (me and my mate) getting a pasteing because we were wearing city tops on our walk out of the ground, then yes, I was happy to see them get in the way.

If there were not hoolies in the first place, then I wouldn't have had to run!

Simple as that.

You cant say sipmler, simlpre, smipler, better than that. Fair enough.

Always had a habbit of being in the wrong place at the wrong time back in the 80's, early 90's. Sat in the pub (v Tranmere) and the pub got bricked, i was only a young teenager and got plastered in glass. Millwall away (1992?) coach got bricked and it was my blooy window !! Also remember being in Dolman (v Pompey) and there was wooden chairs flying past my head...

No more need for any more of those threads about why we have bubble matches, why we're treated so badly at football, why we're herded and filmed everywhere ,......here's your answer.

Spot on.

I wish that these mobs would do the polish thing if they must fight. Off into a wood, one member from each side film it, no dispute who won. No damage to private and public property, no innocent bystanders involved. Less police costs.

No more need for any more of those threads about why we have bubble matches, why we're treated so badly at football, why we're herded and filmed everywhere ,......here's your answer.

What, cos of people chatting about 20/30 years ago. Times move on but there's nothing wrong in talking about what's been. I mean I sometimes talk about the war, doesn't mean I avoid shower rooms when I visit Germany.

What, cos of people chatting about 20/30 years ago. Times move on but there's nothing wrong in talking about what's been. I mean I sometimes talk about the war, doesn't mean I avoid shower rooms when I visit Germany.

Sick but funny.

Pompy in the dolman 93 I think, utter carnage! Since 2000 can only think of Plymouth away the 2-0 defeat, Hull away was tasty! Millwall at the gate on a Friday night Lee Mathews last min pen was fun!!

Not sure on the year but Cardiff done the wedlocks pub not so long ago, 2000 maybe??

Millwall at Ashton gate about 1984 - City had caught Millwall by surprise at their manor so they came to Bristol looking for revenge. They smashed up shops and houses on the way to the match and then lit fires on the open end. City responded by breaking up seats in the Dolman and pelting them. I saw a City fan hit by a coin thrown by a cockney, he was a right mess.

Sheff Utd at Ashton 1989 - They came for a promotion party and to take the p*ss. Gate of about 10,000, probably 3,000 United. Punch up on the pitch at the end, Bob Taylor was trying to break it up, :laugh:.

City at Trumpton - on a couple of occasions I remember the Sags scuttling away like rats when it seemed like City may get into their end. Of course the miserable match in 1990 sparked the most trouble, even big Joe Jordan couldn't calm the City fans.

A lasting memory of 'trouble' for me was Chelsea FA Cup 1990. Mark Gavin banged home the final goal against a thoroughly drubbed Chelsea side.

I was 13 and stood at the front in the East End watching groups of our boys literally pouring from the EE along under the Dolman to the Park End for the trouble. Much to the annoyance of the Park End lads, Chelsea had been allocated the entire Park End that day and the Police were really having trouble stopping them ripping down the centre fencing which would have seen them spill further into the ground. Chelsea had bought a large firm with them, but they underestimated us and came under attack during and after from a large and very 'up for it' group of city boys. There were coins and bits of wood flying from the Dolman into the Park End all game, the old bill had no control. Then bits of Park End concrete was bring ripped up and thrown about, first at City fans leaving then back into the Park End in retaliation. This over-spilled into the surrounding areas and it really kicked off, with the Chelsea boys taking one hell of a beating!

The police lost control and there was utter carnage in the rain. The video on YouTube shows how packed the Park End was of Chelsea...

Was at this game, one of the best games ever at the gate, cracking atmosphere, Proper City Team, this was the only time ive seen the police run away, when they tried to contain the chelsea fans in the away end, they broke through the barrier & then hell was let loose..Great Days....

What was very surprising about that match is that they all ran. That is the first and last time I have seen that. Usually there are a few 'heroes' who will stand their ground no matter what. Hard cases that would rather take a good kicking than be seen to run. But no, the Gas turned on their heels en masse and ran.

No way do I condone hooliganism. This was just a trip down memory lane. Had a broken nose and 24 hour bleed following a punch in the face from a Blackburn idiot in that late 60s behind the East End. Left a game early to pick up a lift home and was set upon. Horrible experience but it taught me to watch my back. Thanks to crowd violence we now have all seater grounds, segregation, the lack of alcohol at matches ...It is all so sanitised these days. It's why I find the non league scene so much more appealing now. Real football without over-inflated egos and wage packets. Although even that seems to have crept down to the Conference ... along with silly ticket prices. Was anybody else reaching (retching) for the sick bag when that phrase 'value driven' appeared on the website re- season ticket offers? Rant over ... back to my hole in the ground.

Swindon away, Reading away, Sags away, walsall away, Millwall home, the memories go on and on.

Going to football is crap these days, crap grounds, no standing, no fun.

I love to read on here about heavy handed stewarts at the gate, in my day they would have had one hell of a hiding.

Don't like it don't go

No, That is the best reply of the year!

I thang you !

Funnily enough Swampy talking about Blackburn. The very first time I ever saw any footy violence was coming back from the Gate ,1966 drew 2-2 . Three or four BR fans (greaser types in leather jackets) on the platform of the old open back buses, taking the piss out of City fans when the traffic halts right by a (seminal) City mob! All hell broke loose, I guess they must have missed their train back to Blackburn !

Me and the old man were quite amazed, little did I know what was to follow in the next 20 or so years.

Walsall in the play offs. That was my first real experience of carnage and also good 'fun' was Sheff Utd I think also in the play off when they had the A block of the Dolman. They all turned up in paper hats and had the mickey ripped in to them then it just kicked off with fans on the pitch during the game.

But I agree, now I just wanna few pints and watch the game with my little lad.

MM

the one against Sheff U was the last game of the season and they were already up........

Reading away in 84' was interesting...

Interesting? Never heard it called that before. 'Utter carnage' would be slightly more accurate if I remember it correctly! 'Absolutely crazy' would be another description I would use.

Was that really 28 years ago? Crikey!

Love these types of threads looking back to the old days. My old man and uncle have 'fond' memories of that Reading away game, I tried looking online to see if there were any videos or articles about it but couldn't find anything. Sounded like absolute chaos!

Love these types of threads looking back to the old days. My old man and uncle have 'fond' memories of that Reading away game, I tried looking online to see if there were any videos or articles about it but couldn't find anything. Sounded like absolute chaos!

What happened in Reading? As a youngish lad, I like to hear stories of football in the past.

Archived