IGNORED

Olympic Torch

bs3

Just watched the Olympic torch being taken into the cricket ground in Taunton live on points.

I'm an old cynic but I found it very moving , will be going down town tommrow to watch it in come to Bristol.

Really looking forward to the Olympics now .

Just watched the Olympic torch being taken into the cricket ground in Taunton live on points.

I'm an old cynic but I found it very moving , will be going down town tommrow to watch it in come to Bristol.

Really looking forward to the Olympics now .

looking forward to the olympic flame going through southmead

could get a bit lively

Who the hell would pay £150k for a torch if it was a one off special then fair enough. But there are loads of them flying about they only cost a £200 to make, whoever bought it needs there lumps felt.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/9278971/London-2012-Olympics-Rush-of-Olympic-torches-for-sale-on-eBay-after-one-fetches-150000.html

People are selling pictures of the olympic torch on ebay, like the basic picture on google images. Written in the description and everything that its only a picture yet there are bids excess of £1200 on the site, genius whoever thought of it.

Who the hell would pay £150k for a torch if it was a one off special then fair enough. But there are loads of them flying about they only cost a £200 to make, whoever bought it needs there lumps felt.

http://www.telegraph...hes-150000.html

As a 1948 torch sold for £5k or so, and there are going to be 8,000 or so of these ones, I think we can safely say that most of the apparent high bids for these are fake, and just people having fun with e-bay!

As an aside its not down this way (Milton Keynes) for a while, but it seems the secondary schools are going to allow the kids off for an hour or two to see it, as are an incresaing number of businesses. With it going close to most places in fairness it does seem to have got to a lot of us feeling we really should see it, even if we are not sure why!

For what it's worth, I think it's utter bo--oks! Apparently introduced by Joseph Goebbels for the 1936 olympics as part of the *unacceptable word* propaganda, and retained for the 1948 games.

Why is '*unacceptable word*' an unacceptable word, FFS?

Why is N-A-Z-I an unacceptable word, FFS, FFS?

Relay going right in front of my house, here in Bradford on Avon, at 2.25pm tomorra. I've got me fire extinguisher all ready, just in case the torch bearer trips up, sending the flames in my direction! :(

Just seen on Bbc sport twitter Didier Drogba is running with it in Cheltenham.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/9718089.Chelsea_star_Didier_Drogba_to_carry_torch_through_town/?ref=fbrec

Running in Swindle too. Although I dont care much for all the hype surrounding the torch, why oh why does a bloke from the Ivory Coast get to run with the torch rather than a local athlete?

is it just me who really doesnt give a toss about all the hype surrounding the torch?

I'll join you in that. Whole thing is a gross waste of money. On friday the council had people out clearing weeds from the kerb of the route in Nailsea - just to make it look a (tiny) bit tidier for a few minutes. Makes those of us living in the rest of the town feel really valued. There are more important things to spend money on that the O games.

:protest:

http://www.swindonad...town/?ref=fbrec

Running in Swindle too. Although I dont care much for all the hype surrounding the torch, why oh why does a bloke from the Ivory Coast get to run with the torch rather than a local athlete?

I was surprised that most of the people doing the Backwell/Nailsea bit are not even from our area! They come from Bournmouth, Gloucester, Cheltenham and elsewhere, What's that all about then?

Regardless of the views on whether the torch is worth the money spent, its recognising some truely inspirational individuals - Drogba aside - who do amazing things in their local community.

It doesnt come to Bournemouth until next month, however tomorrow, in Glastonbury, a very good friend of mine is carrying it - an individuals who has overcome personal illness to run numerous marathons, organise numerous events and raise over 10k for charities such as MS, Chrones and the RNLI.

Sure there are many more individuals within society who have gone un rewarded, however for those 300 yards tomorrow, it could have cost millions, it would still be worth it to give him, and 99% of the other runners, the recognition he deserves.

I was surprised that most of the people doing the Backwell/Nailsea bit are not even from our area! They come from Bournmouth, Gloucester, Cheltenham and elsewhere, What's that all about then?

Trescothic (sp?) said it was an honour for him and the torch in his home town Taunton, he's from Keynsham FFS .

Archived