IGNORED

Keith Millen To Be New Gillingham Manager?

BS15_RED

No doubt wherever he ends up "the lads will be working really hard on the training ground in the week" to rectify their abysmal performance on the previous Saturday, will "turn the corner" and "get their season up and running" many times before Christmas, and KM will have worked out what "my best starting 11" is by, say, early-April. :read:

Ok, that's a little harsh - but, in truth, KM does appear to be someone who has spent a lifetime in the football 'machine' and floated to the top by virtue of being 'in the game' rather than because he possesses the particular skill set required for football management (which includes vision, an eye for a player, and charisma). Probably too honest for his own good as a manager - but not in his assessment of his own capabilities, sadly. Classic backroom material.

"No, yes......"

No doubt wherever he ends up "the lads will be working really hard on the training ground in the week" to rectify their abysmal performance on the previous Saturday, will "turn the corner" and "get their season up and running" many times before Christmas, and KM will have worked out what "my best starting 11" is by, say, early-April. :read:

Ok, that's a little harsh - but, in truth, KM does appear to be someone who has spent a lifetime in the football 'machine' and floated to the top by virtue of being 'in the game' rather than because he possesses the particular skill set required for football management (which includes vision, an eye for a player, and charisma). Probably too honest for his own good as a manager - but not in his assessment of his own capabilities, sadly. Classic backroom material.

The players will get suitcases full of DVD's, I bet they didn't see that coming?.

I'm looking forward to see how he goes with a squad of players he doesn't already have a relationship with. Will be make or break.

Thats one reason why I personally don't think he'll make it as manager.

Good luck to him whatever though.

I'm sure Gillingham have better options to be honest, people with more experience certainly.

Didn't do Bobby Robson much harm.

Don't see KM being another Bobby Robson - but could be proved wrong!! Think there might be one or two other missing components in KM's kitbag compared to Robson.

The players will get suitcases full of DVD's, I bet they didn't see that coming?.

Haha - forgot the "we've been watching dvd's all week" comments. Perhaps Blockbusters have an opening for someone so obviously partial to that particular entertainment format!

Didn't do Bobby Robson much harm.

And knew how to deal with all types of player, fantastic coaching abilities , tactally above and beyond most of his time! Think these reasons helped Bobby as well as being one the nicest people in football ever !

cant believe the stick he is getting on here, some people have very short memories.

My short term memory is of a lovey chap that failed dismally in the managers role at AG, my long term memory is of a average player that always gave 100% and Inturn was rewarded financially by the club for many years!

I hope he does well, but something tells me he's not cut out for managing. Time will tell

And knew how to deal with all types of player, fantastic coaching abilities , tactally above and beyond most of his time! Think these reasons helped Bobby as well as being one the nicest people in football ever !

The statement was Nice doesn't get you anywhere in professional sport. Nothing in there about coaching ability, tactics etc.

So you don't need to be a nasty barsteward, to succeed, was all i was pointing out.

The statement was Nice doesn't get you anywhere in professional sport. Nothing in there about coaching ability, tactics etc.

So you don't need to be a nasty barsteward, to succeed, was all i was pointing out.

I agree ! I was also pointing out that bobby was top top coach as well as the nicest bloke you would want to meet!

cant believe the stick he is getting on here, some people have very short memories.

my short term memory is of a manager who couldn't sign anyone or strengtheren in postions that really needed it,

left us bottom of the table after 11 games with only 1 win on the board and who had a win % of just 31.5%

I agree ! I was also pointing out that bobby was top top coach as well as the nicest bloke you would want to meet!

He was a lovely fella, met him once years ago. Gave me the impression he was really interested in what you had to say, even if he wasn't really.

Perfect example that you don't have to be a really nasty git to succeed. It is how you treat people that gets the most out of them, making people frightened only works to a point, evnetually you will get a group of players that don't worry about the verbals.

I expect most people would put the extra work in for someone that made an effort for them, not just barked orders

my short term memory is of a manager who couldn't sign anyone or strengtheren in postions that really needed it,

left us bottom of the table after 11 games with only 1 win on the board and who had a win % of just 31.5%

Thats exactly the same percentage that McInnes managed last season.

Thats exactly the same percentage that McInnes managed last season.

Mcinnies has only been in charge for 30 odd games couldn't sign anyone on a perm due to previous managers signings and had to make do with loan signins while trying to keep us in the league which he sucsessfully did he like Millen can only be judged after a full pre-season and 10 games into the new season,

The same time you told us to wait for millen until that was failing at which time you told us to give him to xmas

McInnes also had to get rid of the jobs for boys back room staff as well as trying to redress the poor scouting youth systems we have due to previous manager not improving it

He was a lovely fella, met him once years ago. Gave me the impression he was really interested in what you had to say, even if he wasn't really.

Perfect example that you don't have to be a really nasty git to succeed. It is how you treat people that gets the most out of them, making people frightened only works to a point, evnetually you will get a group of players that don't worry about the verbals.

I expect most people would put the extra work in for someone that made an effort for them, not just barked orders

I agree again! Bloody hell this is not like me

If you include the draws:

Keith gave us 6 points out of a possible 33 (18%).

Del gave us 43 points out of a possible 63 (33%).

My point being that there are statistics, damned statistics and lies.

We'll never know whether Millen would have kept City up and there's no point speculating about whats past.

The real test for McInnes will be the first 10 games of next season........

My point being that there are statistics, damned statistics and lies.

We'll never know whether Millen would have kept City up and there's no point speculating about whats past.

You are right, we will never know what might have happened but if you look at the cold hard facts from his last few weeks then the writing was alarmingly clear on the wall. The team seemed to lack any direction, the tactics were poor and that led to mass apathy on the terraces (and at times it looked the same on the bench).

I have a short memory....please, can you enlighten me on any positives from his time managing us?

We went on a great run during the 2nd Half of his only ( take away Coppells few games)full season.

He won the manager of the month award if my memory serves me right?

Some on here were even talking play offs!

Edit, it was actually in the November he won the award.

If you include the draws:

Keith gave us 6 points out of a possible 33 (18%).

Del gave us 43 points out of a possible 63 (68%).

How many league matches was Del manager for. I thought he came on board with Birmingham. If so that's way more than a possible 63

Archived