IGNORED

Opening Day Fixtures 2012 - 2013

Scrumpy_247

The last time we won at home on Boxing Day was 4 - 1 against Millwall in 1997.

I remember that one. Great day and I think we also went top of the league for the first time that season after Graham Taylor had told everyone that he didn't think it was possible for anyone to catch Watford. Wasn't the opening goal scored by Rob Edwards from a corner which was something that was as rare as rocking horse poo at the time? (goals from corners that is, not goals from Rob Edwards, all though, come to think of it they were pretty rare as well)

I remember that one. Great day and I think we also went top of the league for the first time that season after Graham Taylor had told everyone that he didn't think it was possible for anyone to catch Watford. Wasn't the opening goal scored by Rob Edwards from a corner which was something that was as rare as rocking horse poo at the time? (goals from corners that is, not goals from Rob Edwards, all though, come to think of it they were pretty rare as well)

What a great day that was! Millwall were flying as well and we absolutely destroyed them! Didn't cramb score as well? Rob Edwards was solid that season! Always rated him.

When's the balloon fiesta this year? That usually determines whether we're home or away first game

The baloon festival is usually late August, so never impacts on the first fixture of the season. If we are to be away on opening day this year, then let it be M'boro' so we have plenty of day light and good weather for the long distance journey.

40 years ago (and less) for the 1st game of the season, City were home in odd numbered years and away for the even numbered.

1972 Brighton away, 1973 Bolton home, 1974 Forest away etc. For the final game of the season, it would be the opposite of the opening game; home, away, home. Oddly though 1975-76 City started & finished with home games, but continued with away in 1976. (That was Arsenal for you younger members) and ended with an away game (Coventry)..

Archived