IGNORED

Bored,bored,bored Of Hearing About Ferdinand

biggythecity

Sorry, I thought you were asking what would happen re: selection in future squads if Terry is found guilty. I did not realise you meant you wanted everyone connected with picking him for this tournament to be sacked if he is found guilty. In that case the point for you (& presumably the tabloid media) will not be moot.

Methinks you are deliberately twisting what I am saying, I haven't said I want ANYONE sacked, I will just make one point, given the fact that JT has been charged, in just about every single line of work I can think of where the charged person works for especially a branded company with a high profile public persona, that person would now be suspended, my point being Terry is presumed innocent until found guilty but pretty much the rest of us wouldn't have that luxury and boy would the prosecution make a big deal out of telling the court that you have been suspended.

The only organisation that would not suspend you is probably the catholic church.

Roy's problem is very simple.

He's not Harry Redknapp.

Therefore the media will totally over look the fact that despite not having a great squad, Roy has quickly got us into being a solid organised team who looks solid but unspectular in the two friendlies

Rio - not started a game in over a year for England, and not been in a winning England team for 2 years and has a club manager who says he can't handle the fitness needed for club football

Try telling that to the Sun and Sky though....anyone would think they are owned by the same company with their own agenda's....oh wait

Spot on, the media driven frenzy stating that 'Arry was the the only man for the job meant that whoever filled the vacancy was always going to be on a hiding to nothing!!

As soon as Capello left amid the JT fiasco everyone wrote off Englands chances, if people really belived that then why/how is Hodgson going to make things worse?

Having watched Fulham quite a bit under Hodgson due to my Father-In-Law being a lifelong supporter one thing is very apparent, if you want "sexy football" forget it. You wont get it. What you will get is very organised football where individuals will know their roles, as parts of a team the back 4, mid 4 and strikers will all know whats expected of them and he will achieve results through this understanding.

Hodgson never picked players at Fulham that wouldnt buy into this ethos and rightly so, its his team and as long as when things dont work out we dont get the usual BS and he lives by his decions then fair shout. Ferdinand is past his best and highly over rated plus he plays his game not necessarily the game that is wanted from him.

Watch the film Moneyball, i know its based on baseball but picking a squad of players on stats that can perform over a set period of games rather than who they are or how much their worth is the way football is now going with FFP. Newcastle were a prime example of that this season, people say they over achieved, did they?? or did they have a squad of players all playing for one cause?. Ferdinands stats of late are crap/non existant, glad he's not going.

How is it moot?, would a teacher who has been just accused of racism be allowed anywhere near ethnic minority children? and if the teacher was allowed near ethnic minority children was subsequently charged and found guilty, do you think the people who made that decision would keep their job?.

I think Ian meant it was 'moot' in that Terry is unlikely to feature again whatever happens re his case, due to age and the need to bring in a new generation. At least I think that is what he meant....

• Admin

Roy's press conference on Sunday will be interesting, Bernstein and the F.A. insisting there will be no 'Ferdinand' questions, while the press, who smell a story, have other ideas.

Yes the press do seem to have it in their heads that the thing their readers want most of all 24 hours before our first fixture is for them to try their darnedest to destabilise the England camp :o

• Admin

I think Ian meant it was 'moot' in that Terry is unlikely to feature again whatever happens re his case, due to age and the need to bring in a new generation. At least I think that is what he meant....

I did but I had misinterpreted EMB's original post. His point being that if an ordinary person was allowed to continue in their role after such accusations and was then found guilty, that punishments would be dished out to those who allowed them to continue in that role and he was enquiring as to how this side of it might play out.....

THIS ^^

what makes me more annoyed is that the only people i have spoken to who actually care are plastic mancs. not sure why the national media think the rest of us give two flying....

I would say it might have something to do with the BBC moving to Manchester. They talk about it then people talk to them about it when there out and about so they think think it's something people care about so they talk about it a bit more not realising that most of the country couldnt care less about football let alone the England football team let alone one of the most overrated players in that team over the last 10 years.

I unfortunatly expect to hear the Manchester agenda increasingly over the next 10 years.

Never been a big fan of Morph. He has never really deserved the praise he's got at international level IMHO.

You can't remember the world cup in 2002 then? Rio was one of the best defenders in the comp. That was 10 years ago though and it's time to move on. I'd have big Phil ahead of Lescott playing alongside Terry.

Roy's press conference on Sunday will be interesting, Bernstein and the F.A. insisting there will be no 'Ferdinand' questions, while the press, who smell a story, have other ideas.

Well I have to say, the FA and Roy seem to have very few allies in the media over this issue, even the normally 'smoke up the arse blowing BBC' pundits Shearer and Lawrenson last night claimed that the 'footballing reasons' excuse was difficult to swallow and suspected that the motives lay elsewhere and refusing questions on the issue will only fan the flames.

Well I have to say, the FA and Roy seem to have very few allies in the media over this issue, even the normally 'smoke up the arse blowing BBC' pundits Shearer and Lawrenson last night claimed that the 'footballing reasons' excuse was difficult to swallow and suspected that the motives lay elsewhere and refusing questions on the issue will only fan the flames.

Of course they don't have allies, the media never wanted Roy, they wanted Mr Soundbite "people's favourite" Harry Redknapp

They spent months declaring the job was his and he didn't get it,

Ive not spoken to fan who has a problem with the selection, majority agree that it's time to look to the future.

Bottom line....Rio hasn't been in the England squad for a year. That was capello's decision. Regardless of what happens in the Terry case, Roy never dropped him from a England squad he was already dropped.

You can't remember the world cup in 2002 then? Rio was one of the best defenders in the comp. That was 10 years ago though and it's time to move on. I'd have big Phil ahead of Lescott playing alongside Terry.

I've always thought he flatters to deceive. Agree with you re Lescott though.

Weirdly, Rio is the only England footballer I've ever had a pint with. He seemed OK: Sort of quiet and tongue-tied, like most players I suppose. He's even odder looking up close however.

'When it came to bringing another player in, I wasn't going to bring in a player of Rio's age, class, background and experience to be a cover player. The difficult decision was whether to take Rio in the original 23 or not. That took a lot of soul-searching. When Cahill got injured that soul-searching never came up for me again.'

Bizarre explanation.

'When it came to bringing another player in, I wasn't going to bring in a player of Rio's age, class, background and experience to be a cover player. The difficult decision was whether to take Rio in the original 23 or not. That took a lot of soul-searching. When Cahill got injured that soul-searching never came up for me again.'

Bizarre explanation.

I see at as Roy saying he doesn't see Rio starting and would rather bring in a youngster as backup to give said player some experience of being around a tournament squad. He obvously sees Jagielka and Lescott as partners for Terry so no point Rio kicking his heels in the background. There may be a problem if Terry gets injured but if my memory is correct , neither Terry or Rio played when we beat Spain.

I see at as Roy saying he doesn't see Rio starting and would rather bring in a youngster as backup to give said player some experience of being around a tournament squad. He obvously sees Jagielka and Lescott as partners for Terry so no point Rio kicking his heels in the background. There may be a problem if Terry gets injured but if my memory is correct , neither Terry or Rio played when we beat Spain.

I understand what your saying, sadly I have always believed you pick your strongest squad and not waste space on a player who won't get a game, it didn't exactly do much for Walcotts Englands career, he is still very a very average player with less and less end product and for me Jagielka is not international quality

I understand what your saying, sadly I have always believed you pick your strongest squad and not waste space on a player who won't get a game, it didn't exactly do much for Walcotts Englands career, he is still very a very average player with less and less end product and for me Jagielka is not international quality

I agree about picking the strongest squad , but I'm still not sure if Rio comes into that category anymore. Alex Ferguson expressed doubts about his ability to play 3 games in 8 days (although he probably has an ulterior motive)

As soon as this tournament is over Terry and Rio should be disregarded for selection and we should be looking to the future. The likes of Phil Jones , Chris Smalling , Gary Cahill & Ryan Shawcross should come into the reckoning more. Kelly and Gibbs (Richards if he apologises) could be given opportunies at full back , although Ashley Cole is still good enough for the next world cup.

That's what we need to be looking towards IMO. We've got 2 years to build for the World Cup and the players mentioned above will all have european experience at club level and will hopefully be involved along with younger players like Wilshere & Oxlaide-Chamberlain.

Double standards. Wasn't there an anti-racism campaign called 'respect', yet a lot of people out there (admitedly media) are not giving Roy much respect for making a decision based on footballing reasons. Also his comments that Rio still has an England future is in line with his decision as he sounds as if he's saying if Rio improves his football he's in with a chance of a future call up. Surely that's the case with any player regardless of skin colour, hair style and favourite lager.

Double standards. Wasn't there an anti-racism campaign called 'respect', yet a lot of people out there (admitedly media) are not giving Roy much respect for making a decision based on footballing reasons. Also his comments that Rio still has an England future is in line with his decision as he sounds as if he's saying if Rio improves his football he's in with a chance of a future call up. Surely that's the case with any player regardless of skin colour, hair style and favourite lager.

I didn't realise Hodgson was a referee.

There is more of this story to come out, I suspect.

Archived