IGNORED

Creativity

i_am_red

I see this mentioned a lot on here and it got me thinking, what do we all mean by creativity. Is it someone who can play that killer pass, a player that can beat a man and create space for others. It is how we are tactically set up that is causing the problem.

Out of interest, which City players in the past would you class as 'Creative'?

Does this creative player need to be a midfielder type too?

I am not saying it is right or wrong, it just seems creativity is the answer to all our problems on here (apart from finding your Wife's Italian Friend a bloke) and I don't think it is as simple as that.

I feel that creativity can only be achieved if the whole squad are on the same wavelength. Remember that short lived purple patch where Albert and Nicky had an understanding which led to more goals scored?

If the whole team worked together tactically and with a good calibre of players, we will be just fine. I believe McInnes has the right ideas and I am really looking forward to next season and seeing a smaller, more balanced and more tactically sound team.

The one thing that does worry me is what might happen to our strike force - If Brett and/or Stead goes who will be their replacements? Only time will tell, I just hope the right decisions are made!!

:fingerscrossed:

I see this mentioned a lot on here and it got me thinking, what do we all mean by creativity. Is it someone who can play that killer pass, a player that can beat a man and create space for others. It is how we are tactically set up that is causing the problem.

Out of interest, which City players in the past would you class as 'Creative'?

Does this creative player need to be a midfielder type too?

I am not saying it is right or wrong, it just seems creativity is the answer to all our problems on here (apart from finding your Wife's Italian Friend a bloke) and I don't think it is as simple as that.

All of these would be great!

I feel that creativity can only be achieved if the whole squad are on the same wavelength. Remember that short lived purple patch where Albert and Nicky had an understanding which led to more goals scored?

If the whole team worked together tactically and with a good calibre of players, we will be just fine. I believe McInnes has the right ideas and I am really looking forward to next season and seeing a smaller, more balanced and more tactically sound team.

The one thing that does worry me is what might happen to our strike force - If Brett and/or Stead goes who will be their replacements? Only time will tell, I just hope the right decisions are made!!

:fingerscrossed:

This I feel is a key point, we could have a real creative player in the team but if we have 10 other players who are the workhorse type and are set up to break at speed this player will be ineffective. I am sure if we were set up to be creative the likes of Killa, Bolasie, Albert dare I say Woolford would flourish, but we would be hit on the break constantly and would get beat.

This is where Johnson kept us in the Championship without ever really struggling, any creative talented players tended to be marginalised for a more hard working player. It was boring, very boring but we were solid.

For the record I would class Tinnion as our creative player, does not get much better than a cross field ball for Murray!

I feel we have never replaced Tinnion with a similar type player , someone in his early days could glide down the wing and supply a quality cross .when he played in the middle of the park he would put his foot on the ball look up and was able to play a killer pass.

I feel we have never replaced Tinnion with a similar type player , someone in his early days could glide down the wing and supply a quality cross .when he played in the middle of the park he would put his foot on the ball look up and was able to play a killer pass.

Tinnion never really supplied quality crosses, that is is part of the Tinman myth. He did however look far better when moved tpo the centre of the park, and could switch the ball quickly out right with a raking ball. While on the left he could play a great ball in behind a full back. He made Scott, Barnard, Bell and Brennan.

His crosses, free kicks and corners, were on the whole, pretty poor, considering how good he was at actual passing the the ball.

Creativity in terms of the ability to pick a pass is about 10% of the problem. Actually most of our midfielders (bar Elliott) can pass the ball accurately enough over 30 yards. The real key is movement.

Successful teams do not tend to rely on one player to feed all the attacking play through for the obvious reason that putting that one player under lots of pressure tends to nullify the threat.

Often when we've relied on a LJ type playmaker who takes the ball off the defence and looks to spread it, we see players ahead of them on the pitch move forward a few yards then stop and remain static. They're waiting for the magic to happen and all too often this makes it impossible.

The lack of movement results in a slow down of play while the playmaker looks for a pass, followed by a low percentage direct ball forward to someone heavily marked or some pointless passing around the defence before a hoof under pressure.

The problem was the same with Tinnion filling the role until we started playing on the break with Murray down the right.

Hartley moved the ball on more quickly than others but we were playing a fairly direct game at this point based largely on Maynard running into space and feeding off scraps. We suffered from a lack of width because we were playing 451 a lot and pretending it was 433.

Noble gave us something a little different because he played in the gap between the opposing defence and midfield so was available more easily and could retain the ball under pressure in the final third. He was hard to pick up, because if a midfielder dropped back we had more space and if a defender moved up there was a gap. The downside with 4411 was only having one real striker hence our low goals that season.

We need two things coached into the side IMO:

- defenders should bring the ball forward until they've drawn a man, then pass. Not offload it to a midfielder immediately or play it long. This will create more space in the midfield.

- when we have the ball, every outfield player bar the centre halves should always, always be moving into space away from their markers rather than just waiting for a perfect ball.

If we do this, the need for a specific playmaker dictating the game will be forgotten. We have players like Adomah and Bolasie who can run at defenders and scare them, Stead can link play effectively and Pitman can score. Pearson and Elliott like to get into the box, Cisse and Skuse can both win the ball and pass it well enough. All we need really is to keep everyone moving and available.

That's not to say it's easy though, and movement is the first thing to vanish when confidence is low because nobody really wants the ball.

Tinnion never really supplied quality crosses, that is is part of the Tinman myth. He did however look far better when moved tpo the centre of the park, and could switch the ball quickly out right with a raking ball. While on the left he could play a great ball in behind a full back. He made Scott, Barnard, Bell and Brennan.

His crosses, free kicks and corners, were on the whole, pretty poor, considering how good he was at actual passing the the ball.

In my minds eye I can see Tinnion putting in a pinpoint cross on to the head of Goater.I also recall a brilliant free kick he scored against Charlton in the Cup.

In my minds eye I can see Tinnion putting in a pinpoint cross on to the head of Goater.I also recall a brilliant free kick he scored against Charlton in the Cup.

few and far between, I remember the good ones, but also remember lots of god awful crosses that went oto deep or didn't beat the first man.

I don't think he scored enough free kicks either. I do remember the flick up and smash, was that Crewew in a 5-2 win?

few and far between, I remember the good ones, but also remember lots of god awful crosses that went oto deep or didn't beat the first man.

I don't think he scored enough free kicks either. I do remember the flick up and smash, was that Crewew in a 5-2 win?

Cambridge me thinks, with Lionel Perez in goal.

"what do we all mean by creativity"

It's a good question, I have been guilty myself of bandying around the term! For me it is someone in the centre of the park who is capable of two things: Firstly bringing other players into the game who are in useful attacking positions with their passing, but at the same time go and make it happen if those players aren't there (taking the ball forward with the ball at their feet)

This in itself raises another question, are we happy to have to "carry" a player who's capable of doing this?

I still feel Kilkenny has the potential to be a good creative player for us if utilised right. Last season I always found Kilkenny lying too deep in the midfield and never being any damage because of this. I'm fairly sure this was because of our lack of solidarity at the back. I feel when we also saw Kilkenny played further up the pitch he was incredibly deadly, could roam free and could play some good balls (Think Nicky Maynards first goal at the Den). Next season I think Kilkenny will flourish in the sort of diamond formation we were playing towards the end of last season with a solid Defensive midfielder such as Skuse playing in font of a more solid back four than we had last season because he will be able to roam around in a David Silva esque way, control the play and make the killer balls when they are needed!

Creativity isn't about having one or two players spraying passes everywhere from the centre of the park. This is the problem with the way the english watch the game, and why people like gerrard get hailed as world class.

A side being creative involves keeping possession of the football and using movement to play around the opposition by pulling them into places that they do not want to go and exploiting the spaces that this gives you. It requires patience and awareness. You need to know where to play the ball before you have received it yourself. You need to appreciate that a sideways or backwards pass is effective if it creates space elsewhere for the next pass.

This is why the best sides in top club football and the International arena rarely play passes over 10 metres, like to keep the football and can appear dull to those of you who prefer the pumped up bulging eyes charging around method so beloved of the average english supporter.

Alexie eremenko is the man who del would like , but hes injured . From a very good source .

He was on trial with us a couple of seasons back, played in the ajax friendly. I was quite impressed with him but GJ had other plans. We shall see, but being at the club previously may get him to sign.

If this is true of course

Archived