IGNORED

Bristol Green Capital

bs3

Love threads like these...cos we r city fans we r blinded by the stadium bid. Being a green city cant be a bad thing, we wud all like more parks, less traffic jams, better public transport...however we all want the new stadium as well. We will need to be patient with the stadium bid, what will be will be.

I am quite proud of how beautiful our City is - being a Green City is hardly a bad thing at all. I agree with a lot of the points made in this thread but our green spaces etc are things that we should be proud of and should protect.

I mean proper green spaces by the way, not landfill sites that no one uses - by the way were there any Jubilee parties on the town green?

All these greens are about as much use as a limp dick, as has been said above sustrans, cycle city, cycle bag, all compost bin freaks, there all soical outcasts in there brown corderoy trousers and checked sports jackets with patches on the elbow. Riding there bikes to the baccy factory to sit on bean bags and eat lentil soup.

If they used concessions and grants to encourage in the industries that are building\researching Solar Panels, Wind Turbines, Wave Technology etc then that could have a huge effect on the area, sustainable energy is the future and we should be trying to make ourselves a "centre of excellence" to get in on the ground floor before we are having to catch up to other parts of the world or other british cities.

Water turbines are a no brainer in an area which has the second highest rise and fall of tides in the world, but all they have done is talk about it for the whole of my lifetime.

All these greens are about as much use as a limp dick, as has been said above sustrans, cycle city, cycle bag, all compost bin freaks, there all soical outcasts in there brown corderoy trousers and checked sports jackets with patches on the elbow. Riding there bikes to the baccy factory to sit on bean bags and eat lentil soup.

Not stereotypical in the slightest. This comment is about as accurate as nimbys calling all football fans loud mouthed hooligans....your as bad as them!

Not stereotypical in the slightest. This comment is about as accurate as nimbys calling all football fans loud mouthed hooligans....your as bad as them!

This is it, I recycle, have driven hybrid cars for 7 years but I am not as obsessive enough to consider there isn't a compromise to be made on the majority of "green" issues.

How anyone who has tried to drive into Bristol and got stuck in jams full of vehicles spitting fumes out into the environment can call this a green city is beyond me. Cycle lanes with no cycles, bus lanes with empty buses and loads and loads of cars going nowhere, what a joke.

Of course if you live in Southville with all the tree huggers life must seem wonderful.

Things have moved on.There is a new athletics track in Whitehall and the one at Filton has been upgraded to 8 lanes in a joint project with South Glos. The Kenyan Olympic team wouldn't be basing themselves in Bristol if Whitchurch was all we had to offer.

And didn't some of them state that the Bristol base was not any good and they would prefer to train at home until last minute?

As for Green kin city crap...............how much is all that bolx costing Bristol tax payers?

Wait till the mayor gets here........he'll sort out all this c4ap ............wont he?

How anyone who has tried to drive into Bristol and got stuck in jams full of vehicles spitting fumes out into the environment can call this a green city is beyond me. Cycle lanes with no cycles, bus lanes with empty buses and loads and loads of cars going nowhere, what a joke.

Of course if you live in Southville with all the tree huggers life must seem wonderful.

That be that new bridge down Cumberland basin!

"The cars go by like thunder then up n round and under and where they go nobody knows....taint no bleedin wonder"

That be that new bridge down Cumberland basin!

"The cars go by like thunder then up n round and under and where they go nobody knows....taint no bleedin wonder"

Up the downs on Sunday down Nelson street on Monday

I'm sure you'll all be standing as Councillors next time round then? if you're not happy with what we have rather than spouting harmlessly (and pointlessly) on here, try getting involved first hand.

You can influence your local communities by getting involved in many many different ways - but it usually needs hard work and commitment, not just a computer keyboard.

I'm sure you'll all be standing as Councillors next time round then? if you're not happy with what we have rather than spouting harmlessly (and pointlessly) on here, try getting involved first hand.

You can influence your local communities by getting involved in many many different ways - but it usually needs hard work and commitment, not just a computer keyboard.

Touché.

So what has made Bristol great, what are the land maks that the rest of the world would identify Bristol with ?

The Clifton Bridge, The Great Britian, Temple Meads and the railway.

All of which, in another time, our green friends would have opposed. Brunel would have cleared off somewhere else had this lot been in power back in his day.

The stadium, porperly executed, could become a landmark that identifies the city. People with vision supported by quality engineering are the future, not some meaningless tile. And yes I do support the princple of low carbon living, but it should not mean never building anything again, which appears to be the current mantra.

Equally important is to keep people informed of others actions.

You don't have to be a councillor to affect the policies of our city, Just ask Pip Sheard, Tony Dyer, Ben Barker, Peter Crispin, Alice Fergusson or anyone that is part of a fringe pressure group whether they are more effective on the outside?

There seems to be confusion regarding a green city. Nobody wants to rid our city of green spaces and places of recreation. What we/I don't want is a situation where the minority groups of activists are imposing their will on others.

We have a council that wants to be seen to be doing something about traffic. It uses the green issue to win grants for cycle lanes, this pleases some but affects negatively on the majority. There has not been a single road alteration that has improved traffic flow for motorists in recent years. I'm all for public transport and we have a fantastic underused rail system waiting to be exploited, but there is still no other alternative for many people than to use their car, because of this those people are without doubt, penalised.

Make no mistake, they are trying to force people off of the road and onto a for profit bus companies inadequate service, at the expense of shopkeepers pedestrians and motorists, supported by the green groups.

I return occasionally to Bristol and I'm sorry to say it has become a mess. What was the city center is now what? I can't work it out. That concrete block of a shopping center is a muggers hunting ground of the future yet I believe it won an award, sorry can't see why it's horrendous.I seemed to have as much chance of being run over by a cyclist on the pavement as i did by a car on the road, the only city I've experienced where cyclists think they have right of way over pedestrians.

On the plus side a lot of trees have been planted and that has improved some areas considerably. Still an ugly looking piece of wasteland in Ashton Vale though that could do with something being built upon it.

Archived