IGNORED

Euro 2012

ciderbeans

in one game a team went out to win from the first whistle to win and in one other game a team came up against a team who were poo and that's the story so far, don't listen to the far too many over paid pundits riding on the punditry gravy train and not wishing to derail it, lest they lose a lucrative pay day or three, because if you do they will tell you that Gerrard is a world superstar and other lies to make the tournament seem remotely interesting.

Phil i've got man flu at the moment and believe it is the only reason I am watching anything other than England games, I am hoping and praying for the moment I feel better because doing all the jobs my missus has been nagging me to do seem really interesting in comparison.

But as they say one mans meat is another mans poison, as George Michael would say.

I'm not going by what the pundits say Esmond, I haven't missed a minute so far and have thoroughly enjoyed the tournament. I can only see it getting better as well! It's been a much livelier start than the previous World Cup which was at times dull. What were your views on the England performance? I know you're not exactly keen on our boys!

I'm not going by what the pundits say Esmond, I haven't missed a minute so far and have thoroughly enjoyed the tournament. I can only see it getting better as well! It's been a much livelier start than the previous World Cup which was at times dull. What were your views on the England performance? I know you're not exactly keen on our boys!

Better than I expected to be honest, but was as dull as ditch water. Neither team were worried about winning, both teams set up deep the gap between midfield and front men was wider than the 6 lane M6 section and France only stepped their midfield up having gone behind and having equalised they worryingly started to look very dangerous, the omens were not good for the 2nd half, but then sense prevailed and both teams went back to deep midfields and not to lose at all costs mentality returned, which was great for me as I fell asleep for the final 15 minutes safe in the knowledge that all was well in the world.

By the way what was the score?.

Better than I expected to be honest, but was as dull as ditch water. Neither team were worried about winning, both teams set up deep the gap between midfield and front men was wider than the 6 lane M6 section and France only stepped their midfield up having gone behind and having equalised they worryingly started to look very dangerous, the omens were not good for the 2nd half, but then sense prevailed and both teams went back to deep midfields and not to lose at all costs mentality returned, which was great for me as I fell asleep for the final 15 minutes safe in the knowledge that all was well in the world.

By the way what was the score?.

4-1 England

Shockingly bad standard of football. City could beat any team at this tournamnent, including Spain.

I genuinely think my 5-a-side team could beat at least 3 teams at this tournamnent and i'm not the only person to say that.

Is it just me or is this an extremely boring and lifeless tournament? I was all excited when it came around but four days in and I cant be bothered to watch another game! Bring on the new footy league season so we don't have to watch anymore of these overpaid, under-performing nancies. The Championship is where the real football is at!

Not going down Ashton Gate to watch your football then ?

What I have seen I have enjoyed! Some of the games have been pretty good so far and to be honest its wide open anyone could win it....yes even England with the right rub of the green!!

Apart from the goal, did the French keeper make or have to make a worthwhile save?, did England actually carve out another worthwhile chance?.

Yawn, if we can't be negative about City let's be negative about the Euros! I actually think the opening week has been decent- Poland attacked, Russia were excellent, Spain-Italy was a really good game, Croatia-Ireland was fun, cracking second half last night in the Ukraine-Sweden game... What do people expect? 4-3 every game?

I'm no football happy-clapper but the negativity on this forum is soul destroying at times.

Yawn, if we can't be negative about City let's be negative about the Euros! I actually think the opening week has been decent- Poland attacked, Russia were excellent, Spain-Italy was a really good game, Croatia-Ireland was fun, cracking second half last night in the Ukraine-Sweden game... What do people expect? 4-3 every game?

I'm no football happy-clapper but the negativity on this forum is soul destroying at times.

Good for you, i'm glad your happy with what you have seen, me i've seen enough my next game will be England v Sweden a week today and I don't hold out much hope.

I haven't got a problem with Hodgson, I think he is the best choice and I think he will eventually get it right, but at this moment in time we have not got any world class players at all (Hart will be) we have little or no creativity and Young is too light weight and Milner rarely takes the correct option, but we do have a good defence.

Well, most of the older posters moaning about modern day football, and about everything and anything related to football, so this thread really doesn't suprise me one bit.

Good for you, i'm glad your happy with what you have seen, me i've seen enough my next game will be England v Sweden a week today and I don't hold out much hope.

I haven't got a problem with Hodgson, I think he is the best choice and I think he will eventually get it right, but at this moment in time we have not got any world class players at all (Hart will be) we have little or no creativity and Young is too light weight and Milner rarely takes the correct option, but we do have a good defence.

Completely agree with your sentiments about England. Do feel the tournament is a lot better than many are making out, though. Looking forward to Poland-Russia tonight, should be an open game between two fierce rivals.

Apart from the goal, did the French keeper make or have to make a worthwhile save?, did England actually carve out another worthwhile chance?.

When Milner went round the keeper and missed an open goal? Aside from the goal (which wasn't a 'worthwhile chance' as much as a good strike from distance), I only recall the French having one clear cut chance which was a header from a corner. You could argue Benzema trying to sneak it inside Hart's near post from a tight angle, but Hart would have been embarrassed to concede that

When Milner went round the keeper and missed an open goal? Aside from the goal (which wasn't a 'worthwhile chance' as much as a good strike from distance), I only recall the French having one clear cut chance which was a header from a corner. You could argue Benzema trying to sneak it inside Hart's near post from a tight angle, but Hart would have been embarrassed to concede that

Did you honestly at any time believe that Milner would even hit the target?, I didn't even get out of my seat and Hart was embarrassed conceding at his near post and it seemed to me be an area that the French identified and targeted with him.

Did you honestly at any time believe that Milner would even hit the target?, I didn't even get out of my seat and Hart was embarrassed conceding at his near post and it seemed to me be an area that the French identified and targeted with him.

Nasri targetted it. He said in a interview, in training he always goes across hart, so bluffed him

So it doesn't count if you don't rate the player? How going round the keeper can't be classed as a 'clear chance' I don't know. If Big Bas Savage had possessed the ability to go round a keeper he would undoubtedly have missed, but it would still be a 'clear chance'

If you feel Hart should have saved that then so be it (I did in real time, changed my mind on the replays) but a shot from 20 yards through a crowded box isn't a 'clear chance', as good a strike as it was

So it doesn't count if you don't rate the player? How going round the keeper can't be classed as a 'clear chance' I don't know. If Big Bas Savage had possessed the ability to go round a keeper he would undoubtedly have missed, but it would still be a 'clear chance'

If you feel Hart should have saved that then so be it (I did in real time, changed my mind on the replays) but a shot from 20 yards through a crowded box isn't a 'clear chance', as good a strike as it was

Goalkeepers bible, Bob Wilson chapter 6 verse 11, verily thou shalt not be beaten at thy near post.

Goalkeepers bible, Bob Wilson chapter 6 verse 11, verily thou shalt not be beaten at thy near post.

:) I would like to know how many time Bob was beaten at his near post, even if that is in his bible :)

I'm quite enjoying the new tactics- 4-6-0 is NOT a new formation, it has been done at club level by a variety of teams and is not necessarily defensive in itself though Spain under Del Bosque make it so. Italy's set up v Spain worked didn't it? I think we've seen some good defensive displays for example yesterday us v France, Portugal v Germany for the most part and Denmark v the Dutch most definitely. No side has really sparkled properly though, with the possible exception of Russia v the Czechs- did anyone find that boring?? Nothing wrong with good tactical encounters anyway IMO- but then it's all down to taste. Italy v Spain was pretty enjoyable I thought, Poland went at it quite well v Greece who themselves came back from adversity and Ukraine were better than expected v Sweden- I had them down to come 4th in the group.

i'm clearly watching a different tournament - i think it's been outstanding so far, with the only downside provided, predictably, courtesy of a very dire england team. there have been some wonderful games so far, the atmosphere has been electric, and not a vuvezela in sight. some absolutely blood and thunder occasions, and a mouthwatering germany holland tie to look forward to in a moment: loving it.

Archived