IGNORED

England V Italy (Pre Match Build Up Thread)

Abraham Romanovich

I'm in Italy at the moment and will be the only Englishman in the bar, so I'm hoping it's a close game, I don't want to come home in a body bag. I reckon it will finish 2-1 but not sure which way it will go! Whoever wins will struggle to beat the Germans awaiting them in the semis, who have a massive rest before the game!

If we lose, this tournament has been nothing special for England

If we win it's been a great success and exceeded everyone's expectations

HUGE game.

Considering we have only once in our history got to a semi final on foreign soil, it will mean succsess for England if we got to them this time.

If we lose, this tournament has been nothing special for England

If we win it's been a great success and exceeded everyone's expectations

HUGE game.

I would say it's already has been a success, the "Arry" mates in the press must be livid England got out the group as winners.

I would say it's already has been a success, the "Arry" mates in the press must be livid England got out the group as winners.

I don't see the quarter finals as a success because we haven't yet won a knock-out game.

If we beat Italy and get to the semi's and lose to Germany without getting humiliated like the World Cup, it would be a success imo.

One commentator summed things up nicely last night - when England last played Spain "Spain had 70% of the possession, but England got 100% of the goals."

Would settle for that as a worse case scenario against Italy, though I hope we give them a good fight and go for the jugular and not sit back like France.

Where are you mate? Which city?

I'll be at a football party in Cesena, probably around 20 Italy fans, plus three of us. I couldn't find an England flag but have a large Union Jack. I might also wear my 2001 City top.

I'm in Liguria, in a little village near Ventimiglia. I have my England shirt on, everyone who I have bumped into aren't too impressed though!

I'm worried: press, fans, pundits, we're all reverting back to type with massive expectations now: we're going all the way etc etc.

We are far better when we have no expectations whatever, when we think we're a complete shambles and so on.

"Italian" Dave, your mind games are really ****ing with my brain. Who are "we"?

And all of Rio's friends must be incandescent. Rio. You remember Rio, don't you?

Umm- this is the tightest quarter to call in by book.Really could go either way.

Going for 1-1 and then penalties.

If we are going to go any further, Rooney needs to start showing the world on this kind of stage he is one of the worlds best - and not hanging out hope for that.

One of my first memories of watching England on TV...

Compare and contrast how we attacked and ripped them apart to todays team.

Postscript of course was it was really difficult to qualify with from memory only 8 from Europe going. We still lost the group to them, sat it out wheras they came third in the WC itself!

Compare and contrast how we attacked and ripped them apart to todays team.

Postscript of course was it was really difficult to qualify with from memory only 8 from Europe going. We still lost the group to them, sat it out wheras they came third in the WC itself!

If memory serves we lost the the group on goal difference: we beat them at 2-0 home, lost to them 2-0 away, and then it came down to who scored more v Luxembourg and whoever else was in the group.

If Parker manages to restrict the threat of Pirlo, England have a great chance.

Quite simply it will not be Parker's job to stop Pirlo. Pirlo will sit deep and look to orchestrate from there. When Italy have the ball, which will probably be for the majority of the game, it will be Rooney's job to drop deeper and get in and around Pirlo and attempt to limit his effect on the game. Parker's main job will be to try and stop Cassano coming deep for the ball and linking midfield to attack.

Really confident for us today and fancy us to win 2-0.

Archived