IGNORED

Best / Worst Encounters With City Players...

Superjack

Met Brian Wilson down the Mall one night, he is indeed a sour faced ***** of the highest order. His gf was the plainest thing I've ever seen on the arm of a footballer too!

Met Goodfellow and Miller down there too one afternoon, they were good lads. Happy to stop for a chat about the City

Best one was Adam Locke at FGR friendly one season. I honestly think we'd still be there chatting now if he had his way. Really nice guy, just wanted to talk football

Got into a fight with Christian Roberts in that place on the corner of St Nicholas Street and Corn Street (can't remember the name). Bouncer chucked us out so we carried on fighting in the street for a bit, then we looked up and saw both our girlfriends stood inside scowling at us, which made us fall about laughing. Then we made friends and went off to get more booze. Bunch of grapes i think. Can't remember too much after that. We ended up in St Pauls - Prince of Wales or maybe Star & Garter.

1. Trevor Tainton gave me my POTY at Frys 1981 - very pleasant
  2. Met Gerry Sweeney the week after, called him Trevor - not impressed - i was about 10
  3. Met Albert in Asda bemmy a few weeks ago - happy to stand and talk and chat - seemed humbled tbh
  4. Terry Cooper - he was nice til we spilled coke on his cream carpet at his Backwell House (i used to play with Marc)
  5. LJ in Sainsbrees - seemed a little 'rushed' like all players meeting the public in a supermarket (apart from A.A)

I'm 42 and still love meeting players, i still think despite it being their downtime that they should still spare a moment for those wanting to just say hello

also met most of the team at Cheltenham races last year. All happy for photos etc as long as we hid their guinness, all happy to chat too (they were all in the guinness enc where most players hang out to be spotted!!)

Have you ever written anything interesting or funny or informed on this forum?

Not that I remember. Your post is pathetic.

No, you dont remember, or you just fail to understand, hey that's your prob, in the meantime i will pack up my angling kit and move to pastures new, wave yer keyboard !

mate of mine is Jackie's financial advisor and he turns up every now and again to the local irish pub - he once turned out for the five aside team :) really nice guy, with his playboy days behind him. more likely to be spotted with a half a lager or a soft drink nowadays.

suppose he didn't ask that question you were dreading.. who do you support?

Yes he knew,

We had one long duscussion talking about all things rovers/city..

Met him at the hotel bar again next night and it didnt get mentioned. Just got on the piss till early hours of the morning..

Friendly, interesting bloke..

Met Gerry Harrison Rob Edwards and Mike Hooper in Odsyssey years back, you would of thought they were prem league players the way they were acting and how many women they had around them!

Met Jon Stead last december at Jump!, Cribbs Causeway. He was there with his better half and little one but still took time to have a little chat and picture taken with my boy who was celebrating his birthday, made his day.

Also Louis nearly gave my Missus heart failure when he was having his picture done with my youngest in his car and started to drive away with him!!!

My litttle ones favourite though is still LJ. Whilst visiting the club shop one week day, Ashton was looking through the big red gates onto an empty Ashton Gate when Lee walked over opened the gates and let him have a look around, even picked him up and had a little chat. Clarkson (i think) was also there and took time to stop and say hello.

All Genuinely nice blokes.

Gavin Williams was on his own at the cinema I work at and I watched him go upto the concessions counter and heard him say 'Give me the biggest, most expensive popcorn and drink.. Oh and give me 2 packs of Maltesers too'

He then pulled out a wad of £50's rounder than my thigh and revelled in the fact the person serving him had to get a manager to check the £50 was real and get change for him.. Then he went on to ask if the manager was single.

Bit of an arrogant show off if you ask me.

On a better note, I've also met Gerken and Henderson there too and they're both top blokes.

Finally, Nicky Hunt always used to come in with Lee Johnson and buy Ben and Jerry's and Pic n Mix.

No wonder Hunt was unfit..

Scotty is a top guy. A couple of times he played 5 a side at Clevedon Rec with my son and his mates at a birthday party. No airs and graces and one of the best ten players I've seen at the Gate in forty years support. Also have fond memories of the 70-71 lads coming in after hours into my grandad and grandmother's betting shop in North St - Chris Garland, Alan Skirton, Trevor Tainton, Gerry Sharpe among others..

I think the most unpopular player I can remember was Gould. Lita was also a ponced-up tw#t. Not overly fond of Tony Thorpe either. And Hutchings, Dyche, Mortimer and Kuhl were all utterly sh*t but especially Hutchings. Steve Jones was crap too but partially redeemed himself. Among the beloved : Chris Garland, Norman Hunter (probably the best player I've seen at the Gate), Mickey Bell, Jim Brennan, Scotty, Alan Walsh, Rob Newman, Super Bob, Jacki, Tins (the player), Lee Trundle (lazy and fat but gifted), Basso, Mark Gavin and Dave Smith. Best manager : Jordan (version 1), then Dicks (would be first but allowed the booze culture to take hold), then GJ (first three years). Worst manager : Fawthrop, closely followed by Tins and Keef. Most entertaining team was under Wilson.

I think the most unpopular player I can remember was Gould. Lita was also a ponced-up tw#t. Not overly fond of Tony Thorpe either. And Hutchings, Dyche, Mortimer and Kuhl were all utterly sh*t but especially Hutchings. Steve Jones was crap too but partially redeemed himself. Among the beloved : Chris Garland, Norman Hunter (probably the best player I've seen at the Gate), Mickey Bell, Jim Brennan, Scotty, Alan Walsh, Rob Newman, Super Bob, Jacki, Tins (the player), Lee Trundle (lazy and fat but gifted), Basso, Mark Gavin and Dave Smith. Best manager : Jordan (version 1), then Dicks (would be first but allowed the booze culture to take hold), then GJ (first three years). Worst manager : Fawthrop, closely followed by Tins and Keef. Most entertaining team was under Wilson.

Not Pulis then as one of the worst and most hated?

Not my encounter, but a Bury-supporting friend of mine was watching his side away at Bournemouth and he passed Joe Jordan outside the ground. I think my friend may have been a bit drunk as he muttered something about how dental work is so marvellous these days as he walked by. Apparently then Joe stopped him in his tracks and asked "Have you got something to say pal?" with a rather dark look on his face.

I think my friend virtually wet himself and ran away (although he tells the story somewhat differently)!

Never one to back down old Joe!

I met Kevin Mabbutt when I was a kid, he came to my school - seemed a nice guy

I also bumped into the entire Valencia team in London once, including David Villa (this was a couple of years ago) - he's not really very tall...

Oh, and Dave Rodgers was the groundsman at my school towards the end of my time there, but I never had the bottle to go up and talk to him*, regret to this day, scored the first goal I ever saw by a City player...

*For the younger readers, he was a big lad (ie massive) and quite scary...

Bumped into Jimmy Mann in the car park at the Old Show Ground back in 1982. Really nice guy, we had just imploded and he'd picked up a match by match contract at Scunny.

Told me he knew our players far better than theirs!

Drew 1-1, Alan Nicholls scored (his only goal?)

I ran out to play football in Portishead as a youngster one day. There were some balls on the side of the pitch so, as you do, I kicked one. A very grumpy man started shouting at me from the other side of the pitch to leave his balls alone (ooh er). Apparently, he had been out training on the same field. The man in question was Mr Gould.

Keith Fear represents my positive City player encounter, when I served him a bowl of soup at Gordano services.

Racey stuff.

I ran out to play football in Portishead as a youngster one day. There were some balls on the side of the pitch so, as you do, I kicked one. A very grumpy man started shouting at me from the other side of the pitch to leave his balls alone (ooh er). Apparently, he had been out training on the same field. The man in question was Mr Gould.

If it's any consolation, his younger son (Richard) is a really nice guy, went to school with him. Is now Chief Exec at some cricket club or other, did use to work at City, IIRC

Oh, and Dave Rodgers was the groundsman at my school towards the end of my time there, but I never had the bottle to go up and talk to him*, regret to this day, scored the first goal I ever saw by a City player...

*For the younger readers, he was a big lad (ie massive) and quite scary...

dave rodgers used to be the football coach at my school when i was a nipper. i remember him telling me off when i was nipper for diving :)

Which school? And was he still scary as ****?!?!??

this was many, many moons ago in the 80s. went to a very posh school, clifton college. his football coaching philosophy was very much 'stop fannying about and lamp it up the field' :)

Another encounter, this time as a youngster was with robbie turner.. I was only about 14/15 and had said something cocky to him at a reserve derby match in the grandstand (unsure what it's called now tbh)...

He asked me to follow him down the steps and when I did he hit Me in the gonads with one of his crutches.

I think I prefer paul cheesely if I'm honest..

Archived