IGNORED

Rangers

Barrs Court Red

A real lack of understanding about the situation in Scotland, the lack of Rangers fans in the away end at SPL clubs is a minor concern. the likes of Dundee United and St Johnstone would actually have bigger gates for the visit of a newly promoted Dundee than they would for Rangers. The real problem is if SKY and ESPN renege on their TV contract. SPL clubs would then have to find the cash or significantly reduce costs in a very tight time frame.

I think Rangers must go to Division 3 and I am glad McCoist and the Gers fans agree. I also think that SKY and other commercial partners should honour their deals. In addition, the SFA should loan SPL clubs money so they can manage the absence of Rangers and not have to make drastic cuts all at once or worse still head into administration.

One final point, Old Firm fans have not travelled in tens of thousands to leagues matches for many years. This is mainly due to all seater stadiums, reduced capacities, ticket prices and away matches invariably being televised. If Rangers are in Div Three these might not be issues and the other clubs may benefit from huge travelling supports. Queens Park would surely have their biggest league attendance for forty odd years.

Late on Friday night SSN reported that following Rangers relegation to Div 3, another meeting will be held before the season starts as

"a SPL 2 is being considered and larger clubs would be invited into it"!

Elsewhere I found this snippet;

There have been suggestions that Rangers could play in England should they be thrown down into the Third Division; ironically enough, that's exactly what will happen: on August 25 they would play against Berwick Rangers, the sole English club that participates in the Scottish league.

Rangers would also finish their season against English opposition, facing the same side at Ibrox on May 4th.

Ridiculous situation to get in. Rangers are far too big a club to be playing in the 4th tier of Scottish football. They have to be punished of course, a severe points deduction and no European football for 3 years would have been better.

The Scottish fans are crying out for bigger leagues, this could make everyone happy. At the end of next season, turn the four divisions into three meaning if Rangers win Division three as surely they will, they could go into Division One and get back to the SPL a season earlier than the money men feared. It also means that the sporting integrity is not lost as the reorganisation is supported by all and helping Rangers is just a by product.

The Scottish fans are crying out for bigger leagues, this could make everyone happy. At the end of next season, turn the four divisions into three meaning if Rangers win Division three as surely they will, they could go into Division One and get back to the SPL a season earlier than the money men feared. It also means that the sporting integrity is not lost as the reorganisation is supported by all and helping Rangers is just a by product.

This could have exactly the reverse effect, sky sports and ESPN might and probably do have a good case for re-negotiating their contract with the Scottish prem, without the usual 4 old firm games + cup matches against each other, the prospect of a very average Celtic team thrashing the rest of the crap in that league week in week out is not very edifying and believe me with all due respect to our St Johnstone friends I watched quite a few of their games last season and at the time watching paint dry was a viable option.

I suspect for instance most Rangers fans will not be paying good money each week to watch 'mainly' their deadliest rivals and many casual fans will not be renewing their subscriptions, I would have also thought that many sponsors of the league and for the 2 TV companies will either re-negoiate or pull out all together, this could end up being the death knell for Scottish football, which isn't very good at all at the moment already.

Wow, things need to change this should not happen. Owners need to be accountable for maintaining the professional interest and stature of the club. British clubs should treated like National Heritage and National trust. Rangers as part of Football folk law is there along with some swamp in Hampshire or some flint ruins in Norfolk in terms of what is important, they get protected, why not football clubs?

. Its about time the GOVERNMENT stepped in and insisted club owners pay the FA a retainer to ensure the clubs future. The retainer would a % of the clubs turn over, like 200%, this goes for ALL clubs.

This just can't keep happening.

And this really pisses me off about this country, we let great company's dies or sell them off because of profit. everything is about profit and growth, well I dont give a toss about growth right now. One things for sure, the French dont let this happen,

Archived