IGNORED

Fredy Montero

aller g

I don't mean to be pedantic but just because he's a centre forward doesn't mean he's a Maynard or Pitman type out and out goalscorer. He could be a creator of goals. Besides 1/3 record isn't bad at all in the MLS. His stats for 2011 are as follows: 44 apps, 18 goals, 14 assists (wiki) which indicate he could well be a "creator" rather than a poacher.

Well we need goals. Last season our top scorer didn't even finish the season playing for us and only scored 8 goals.

Well we need goals. Last season our top scorer didn't even finish the season playing for us and only scored 8 goals.

Pitman would score more goals, given better service. People advocate players like Marv as essential then wonder why our strikers don't score when the midfield can't pass more than 5 yards accurately.

Pitman would score more goals, given better service. People advocate players like Marv as essential then wonder why our strikers don't score when the midfield can't pass more than 5 yards accurately.

Agreed.

Quality wins you football matches not people who huff and puff & cant pass a ball to feet from 5/10 yards.

Marv spends all his time running around in circles winning the back back he has just given away.

Although i dont rate Skuse i hope he is above Marv in the pecking order for our box to box man next season.

2 goals in 21. I didn't think he was that special, his overall game was average.

Nope, his, game was fine, the hoofball Johnson ordered his players to play to him was what ruined it.

Now if we had played to his strengths instead of his weaknesses...

Exactly. You shouldn't look at a strikers goalscoring record solely, there is sometimes an alternative explanation.

He may well have been a flop no matter what, I don't know, but I do think he was underrated. He could well have been a shrewd signing had he been used properly.

2 goals in 21. I didn't think he was that special, his overall game was average.

Shearer had a worse than 1/4 goal record when he was at Southampton for 4/5 seasons. Turned out to be one of the greatest, if not the greatest, English goalscorer of the last 20 years. It's the players around the striker and how the team plays that produce goals, especially for poacher types. Like others have said I think it was the way we played Saborio rather than Saborio himself that meant he didn't score many here. Took him longer than was ideal for him to adapt to England but if given time he could have come good.

Why are people getting excited over this player anwyay?

He's scored 50 goals in 132 games in the MLS, hardly amazing. If that was 50 in 132 in a tough league then it would be impressive.

For the fee he would cost, i'd rather us not take the risk.

I have to say, I do find it slightly odd that you evangelise about an 18 year old Spanish midfielder who's barely played a senior game, while dismissing a Colombian international with a scoring rate of something like 1 goal every 2.3 games. MLS might be a poor league but I net it's more competitive than the reserve leagues in this country

Out of interest, what do you reckon the fee for Montero might be? His wages seem to be realistic, but I do accept that the MLS seems to drive a hard bargain for transfer fees

I have to say, I do find it slightly odd that you evangelise about an 18 year old Spanish midfielder who's barely played a senior game, while dismissing a Colombian international with a scoring rate of something like 1 goal every 2.3 games. MLS might be a poor league but I net it's more competitive than the reserve leagues in this country

Out of interest, what do you reckon the fee for Montero might be? His wages seem to be realistic, but I do accept that the MLS seems to drive a hard bargain for transfer fees

The reason I am excited about Suso is because he's a rare kind of player imo. Low sense of gravity, natural ability, creative and a great passer of the ball. A loan deal would also be good as it's not a risk for us.

I've not seen anywhere where Montero is actually linked to a big club, I really don't think he'd want to play in this division if he has hopes of representing Colombia. His goal-scoring record would be fantastic if it was in a competitive league. His wages are rumoured to be atleast $500k a year and the fee would more than likely be atleast 2M. Not a risk the club should take imo. I like the idea of looking at strikers from other countries but this Montero bloke doesn't convince me if i'm honest.

I think playing in this division would help his Colombia chances tbh, it's a higher standard than MLS.

And the rumours about Suso were made up on another City forum. I'd be very surprised if we actually made a move for him, and it was accepted. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

The reason I am excited about Suso is because he's a rare kind of player imo. Low sense of gravity, natural ability, creative and a great passer of the ball. A loan deal would also be good as it's not a risk for us.

How do you know though? He may well be but have you ever seen him play?

How do you know though? He may well be but have you ever seen him play?

I've seen alot of clips, I know video's only show the best bits of a player but the natural ability is clear to see.

I just think he could be a very good signing, Liverpool rate him very highly. Montero could prove to be a good signing aswell, It's just a rumour that doesn't excite me.

It's also a rumour I am pretty sure will not come true.

I've seen alot of clips, I know video's only show the best bits of a player but the natural ability is clear to see.

I just think he could be a very good signing, Liverpool rate him very highly. Montero could prove to be a good signing aswell, It's just a rumour that doesn't excite me.

It's also a rumour I am pretty sure will not come true.

Not sure about him, I have a huge Liverpool supporting work mate, and he was saying there wasn't much coming out about this lad, let alone him being anywhere near good enough in the near future.

His opinion, got the flair, but very very weak on the ball and really needs a midfield enforcer with him and a lot of protection. He is more suited to continental football. One or two challenges and he will disappear in a game. He said god forbid where he would hide in first team football.

I know nothing about the kid, this is just an opinion I am passing on from a guy that watches all things liverpool, and knows his football.

Not sure about him, I have a huge Liverpool supporting work mate, and he was saying there wasn't much coming out about this lad, let alone him being anywhere near good enough in the near future.

His opinion, got the flair, but very very weak on the ball and really needs a midfield enforcer with him and a lot of protection. He is more suited to continental football. One or two challenges and he will disappear in a game. He said god forbid where he would hide in first team football.

I know nothing about the kid, this is just an opinion I am passing on from a guy that watches all things liverpool, and knows his football.

I agree that he is very light weight, I think the best system we would have to play him in would be a 4-3-3 with a holding midfielder, a box to box and then him.

If Cisse could stay it would be perfect.

DM:Cisse

CM: Skuse/Elliot

CM: Suso.

Sorry mate - I'm going to call you out.

For the last year, and 5000 posts, you give the impression of being the guru of all that is football.

You aren't.

Neither am I.

But your holier-than-though-I-know-everything attitude is getting on my wick.

That keeper from Australia - Ryan, was a prime example.

I challenged you and got nothing back, just like someone did with Suso.

I appreciate you are young and keen, but please don't try to spruike ever name you've just seen as a nailed on potential signing.

Said my piece - lets not get into this anymore - but please, if you know fluck all don't try to claim you've just wiped their dribble off your chin.......

:laugh:

I gave my opinion on Montero. That was all. I'm not excited about the rumour, simple as that.

I don't think I know more than anyone else for one minute. There are loads of people who have watched football alot longer than I have.

Sometimes I don't know why I bother posting. When i'm back to work on Monday I will stay away, don't worry. :)

Nope, his, game was fine, the hoofball Johnson ordered his players to play to him was what ruined it.

Now if we had played to his strengths instead of his weaknesses...

Hmmm. I'd be a top striker if I received lots of inch perfect passes when I was in the box.

My memories of Sarborio was that he just wasn't physical enough and didn't make the most of what chances were there.

You could see that there was a decent footballer trying in there somewhere, but he just didn't adapt to English football.

Not asking you to leave - why would I...and why would you go?

Just please - don't act as if the players you mention have all given you a call to let you know they are on their way.

I had never heard of Suso, or Montero tbh, and fair play to you that you did, but to claim to be an expert on wether they should sign for City when you have never seen them play is wrong.

Thats all.

Just if you know something great - just please don't embelish stuff.

The Suso link was in thisisbristol so I thought it had some substance.. it was also on the Liverpool forums. I haven't watched him live but Liverpool fans on their forum who have say he's got bags of talent.

Montero is someone who I know a little about but someone who doesn't impress me, that is all. He may be a brilliant player but this particular rumour doesn't excite me.

That. Is. All.

Archived