IGNORED

Come On Tim - Official Andy Murray Match Thread

He just shows no emotion at all .. Even when he wins ...

He was in tears last night , what more do you want ? Terry Butcher style blood stains ? He is ranked 4 in the world because he is simply 4th best , if he wins against Federer it will be because he upset the odds . Tim nice but dim was nowhere near Andys level so lets just get behind him . . . . . or is it because he's not English ?

Yes, you're quite right. There is much less focus on that event than the singles, so for the "not too interested unless there's a Brit in it brigade" (like myself with tennis) they get overlooked. Jamie Murray was a winning partner too a couple of years ago.

Indeed.

I mentioned Jo as I'm pretty sure she was a Bristol lass.

Also we have done relatively well in both the boys and girls single finals

Staggered at the love in for a jock who publically stated that he was supporting Portugal vs England.......and his track record suggests he is a bottler....made 4 Grand Slam semis last year, and has had 3 grand slam finals prior to this one and won NONE of them, hence the comparison with Cardiff Bluebird Dragons Malaysia FC Ltd.

I swear half of otib is in uproar when, after winning one match, our players start grinning and celebrating and saying how good we are, yet when arguably Britain's best ever tennis player DOESN'T do the exact same he's a "miserable scot".

Best ever??? Never heard of Fred Perry??!!!!

Staggered at the love in for a jock who publically stated that he was supporting Portugal vs England.......and his track record suggests he is a bottler....made 4 Grand Slam semis last year, and has had 3 grand slam finals prior to this one and won NONE of them, hence the comparison with Cardiff Bluebird Dragons Malaysia FC Ltd.

Come back when you have a clue please.

Best ever??? Never heard of Fred Perry??!!!!

Read it again, he said arguably.

How is it up there on that high horse? Never said something in jest that has been taken out of context? Have the press ever mis-quoted someone or perhaps, just maybe, not told the whole truth?

Complete over reaction to a minority sport that the British only give a toss about once every twelve months for a fortnight

Read it again, he said arguably.

How is it up there on that high horse? Never said something in jest that has been taken out of context? Have the press ever mis-quoted someone or perhaps, just maybe, not told the whole truth?

Complete over reaction to a minority sport that the British only give a toss about once every twelve months for a fortnight

Agree totally with your last statement, and if you read my initial post on this thread it was fairly obvious it was said in jest, so in answer to your question, yes! Not on my high horse at all??!!

Almost as mature as not liking Murray for a joke comment he made.

He must repeat the joke all the time then as he also said he was supporting Trinidad & Tobago when they played England in the world cup and even wore the " ABE " t-shirt ( anyone but england) . When he sits mumbling and scratching his chin during press confirences , he is the living embodiament of a miserable sweaty git.

I don't like Murray because he has got all the charisma of a teapot, but clearly you have much more in common with him......

I do, I also play a bit of tennis. You should try it, get out the house etc.

Can't stand AM. He is not English, has an open dislike for the English and I for one, hope he gets stuffed tomorrow.

Shame really, having supported all the crap players we have had in the past, when we finally get a decent British one, he makes it impossible to support him. Hey ho.

He must repeat the joke all the time then as he also said he was supporting Trinidad & Tobago when they played England in the world cup and even wore the "ABE" t-shirt ( anyone but england) .

What a grievous crime. The rest of the British Isles must have been appalled. Oh wait.

• Admin

Almost as mature as not liking Murray for a joke comment he made.

And in the way the poster presented it, it didn't even happen. Ignorance appears rife on this thread but you shouldn't bother yourself that people who only take any note of tennis once a year don't like him.

Can't stand AM. He is not English, has an open dislike for the English and I for one, hope he gets stuffed tomorrow.

An 'open dislike for the English'?!

Someone better tell his English girlfriend and English grandparents then! Not to mention his neighbours seeing as though he lives in London!

National identity

Murray identifies himself as Scottish and British.[194][195] Prior to Wimbledon 2006, Murray caused some public debate when he was quoted as saying he would "support anyone but England" at the 2006 World Cup.[196] He received large amounts of hate mail on his website as a result.[197] It was also reported that Murray had worn a Paraguay shirt on the day of England's World Cup match with the South American team.[196]

Murray explained that his comments were said in jest during a light-hearted interview with sports columnist Maurice Russo,[198] who asked him if he would be supporting Scotland in the World Cup, in the knowledge that Scotland had failed to qualify for the tournament.[199] Sports journalist Des Kelly wrote that another tabloid had later "lifted a couple of [the comments] into a 'story' that took on a life of its own and from there the truth was lost" and that he despaired over the "nonsensical criticism".[200]

Murray protested that he is "not anti-English and never was"[194] and he expressed disappointment over England's subsequent elimination by Portugal.[201] In an interview with Nicky Campbell on BBC Radio 5 Live, Tim Henman confirmed that the remarks had been made in jest and were only in response to Murray being teased by Kelly[198] and Henman.[202]

In an interview with Gabby Logan for the BBC's Inside Sport programme, Murray said that he was both Scottish and British and was comfortable and happy with his British identity.[203] He said he saw no conflict between the two and was equally proud of them. He has also pointed out that he is quarter English with some of his family originating from Newcastle, and that his girlfriend, Kim Sears, is English.[204]

I don't get all this "he hates the English" bullsh*t. He wanted England to lose in the 2006 World Cup, what Scottish person wouldn't. His girlfriend is English, he lives in England and he calls himself British. Get behind him, it's better than supporting some Spanish bloke called Rafael!

• Admin

I don't get all this "he hates the English" bullsh*t. He wanted England to lose in the 2006 World Cup, what Scottish person wouldn't. His girlfriend is English, he lives in England and he calls himself British. Get behind him, it's better than supporting some Spanish bloke called Rafael!

I bet even Rafa has wanted England to lose on occasion. I often want teams my mates follow to lose but fortunately they don't hate me for it :)

Quite right hes probably the best british individual Sportsman we have had for a long time the Anti English comments were just jestful and completely taken out of Context.

Murray is brilliant IMO.. tennis players are the fittest of Sportsmen far more so than your average footballer. Whats more hes intelligent, doesnt have any tatoos, tramlines, big diamond earrings, a stupid haircut, a wag tart, get pissed up clubbing or drive around his patch in a big range rover.

Murrays exploits put 95% of proffessional footballers to shame.

If he wins tomorrow and I really think he will, it will be the greatest individual performance by a British Sportsman for generations probably since Tony Jacklin won the open.

Good on him if he does he will almost certainly be Knighted and deservedly so. If they can give one to SAF, Woodward, and Hoy he probably only has to turn up.

Quite right hes probably the best british individual Sportsman we have had for a long time the Anti English comments were just jestful and completely taken out of Context.

Murray is brilliant IMO.. tennis players are the fittest of Sportsmen far more so than your average footballer. Whats more hes intelligent, doesnt have any tatoos, tramlines, big diamond earrings, a stupid haircut, a wag tart, get pissed up clubbing or drive around his patch in a big range rover.

Murrays exploits put 95% of proffessional footballers to shame.

If he wins tomorrow and I really think he will, it will be the greatest individual performance by a British Sportsman for generations probably since Tony Jacklin won the open.

Good on him if he does he will almost certainly be Knighted and deservedly so. If they can give one to SAF, Woodward, and Hoy he probably only has to turn up.

Greatest British sportsman? Knighted? What about Phil 'the power' Taylor?

Hate the working class much?

NO WAR EXCEPT CLASS WAR!!!

Archived