IGNORED

Rovers. Another Step Towards A New Stadium

Dolman Block B

Just remember that for all your "success" that with todays rules you wouldnt even be around. I am not disputing the fact that over most of the last 12 years you have been well above us. Since your reformed in 1982 until 2000 I would question this superiority and thankfully can still remember the 3-0 at Twerton when we won the Third division Championship and where were you?????? Runners up!! I could add the 4-0 drubbing at Twerton, quite a few 2-0 wins for us and of course our most recent meeting in a competitive match where we beat you 1-0 after drawing at the Gate when all you lot thought you were so "superior" that you would build up a cricket score!!

Perhaps if we had lucky enough to have had a Steve Lansdown to pump money into the playing side then our situations would be reversed.

Anyway I respect you lot as supporting YOUR football club and likewise our supporters supporting our club rather than tagging on to support a Premier League club who have nothing to do with our City.

Bristol City, formed 1897, Bristol's premier club, always has been and always will be, go and take your dreams and jealousy to another forum, Cheltenham or Exeter perhaps.

You lot are just so jealous now your ex Chairman is stuck with a large Village Green and your stadium is nothing more than a dream. Your team is lower Championship at the best and you are more likely to join us in League 1 soon than we join you in the Championship. What use will your new stadium be to you in League 1 where your current crowds will reduce? If your Ashton Vale does fall through then I can see Steve Lansdown putting a lot more money into making Bristol a Premier Rugby Club and who knows if he is silently involved in our stadium as regards Bristol Rugby.

football has always been swings and roundabouts ,perhaps our time is coming again and the "Will you ever beat the gas be ringing around your ground for years like last time.

You've got a nerve, questioning our crowds and the need for a bigger stadium when your home support figures are an embarrassment to a City the size of Bristol.

As for "your time coming again", you tell us this every single year and it's boring.

Why don't you tell us more about how well you know Steve Lansdown and his intentions towards sport in Bristol....and then have some dignity and piss off, your boasting about events that haven't even happened yet is cringeworthy.

Typical Gashead, it's always going to happen 'next year'.

BRISTOL ROVERS formed 1883.BRISTOL CITY 1982 FORMED 1982.

Not one bit jealous.If I was jealous I would go and support a Premier League Club.

You are red I am blue and thats it.

Check any book, formed 1897, what is your fascination with 1982, get over it and concentrate more on being the Barcelona of the 4th division

Our stadium will be of much higher quality. Also it is a much more complex design having different types of stand, whereas the gash stadium is like Doncaster's Keepmoat except a bit bigger.

To be fair mate, I quite like the Keepmoat when we go up there?

Location is shite but stadium is nice

So, what happens when the rented bowl in South Glos gets PP (no problems atall there) and the Sainsburys' plan gets thrown out?

Will the University be paying for the stadium as our methane snorting 'friendly sag' seems to think the bowl is a certainty?

remembering the problems we had getting a supermarket moved up the road, I just cannot see the Mem plan getting PP and was wondering what happens then as the chief sag, Higgs, said the sale of the Mem was 'essential' to the UWE plan.

Surely, whe the supermarket plan is chucked out by Bristol CC, that's the end of the UWE dream isn't it?

Keep hoping Ciderup. Don't think it will be plain sailing (Football Stadiums never are!!) I really hope we both get our stadiums and Bristol will then have two stadiums to be proud of. The problem for both teams will then be how to create an atmosphere in them. when they are probably both half full!! I can't really understand how either clubs plans get turned down when you think the mess this country is in with jobs and how many jobs these stadiums will create ie two new supermarkets being staffed and lots of ancilliary things.

I tend to agree with you that we won't get promoted this season as our squad is not good enough. As regards us taking a player on trial whilst he may have "hardly got a kick for you" he may be great in League 2 How he will do,neither you or I will know at the moment.Some players really hit it off with a new club,others don't. Mark McGhee seems to be mainly going for young players,your two signings so far have been from opposite ends of the scale and both could prove to be useful signings. I don't think there are many of our fans who truly think we are superior to you as lets be honest we are in League 2 and you,the Championship so the stature of the teams is shown by the Leagues we are in.

As regards SL turning his back on you I think you are wrong,surely he has already turned his back on you in that you no longer seem to have the funds that you had two or three years ago. He is and always has been an ambitious man and has clearly realised that not even his money can make you a top Championship team and on the otherhand he can see that his money COULD turn Bristol Rugby Club into a Premier Rugby Team..

Yes we are skint but in truth so are you and only Steve Lansdown has kept you from changing from Bristol City 1982 to Bristol City 2010.

Never forget that you are Bristols youngest team by an absolute mile because that 1982 is there for a reason.

Are you completely thick or what? How can SL be turning his back on us when he's trying to give us 96m for a new stadium you complete idiot.

As for the playing side were trying to be ready for the time the financial fair play rules are introduced hence why it's obvious we're not splashing out millions! What are you lot doing in preparation? Your probably not even aware of what I'm on about you are you?

Coming to AG for the friendly or are you another who suddenly can't scrape together £15 for the game? Your lot are an embarrassment to Bristol with every excuse under the sun as to why your not coming!

So, what happens when the rented bowl in South Glos gets PP (no problems atall there) and the Sainsburys' plan gets thrown out?

Will the University be paying for the stadium as our methane snorting 'friendly sag' seems to think the bowl is a certainty?

remembering the problems we had getting a supermarket moved up the road, I just cannot see the Mem plan getting PP and was wondering what happens then as the chief sag, Higgs, said the sale of the Mem was 'essential' to the UWE plan.

Surely, whe the supermarket plan is chucked out by Bristol CC, that's the end of the UWE dream isn't it?

100%. It's absolutely vital to the scheme. No consent for Sainsbury's, no UWE Pirates.

Are you completely thick or what? How can SL be turning his back on us when he's trying to give us 96m for a new stadium you complete idiot.

As for the playing side were trying to be ready for the time the financial fair play rules are introduced hence why it's obvious we're not splashing out millions! What are you lot doing in preparation? Your probably not even aware of what I'm on about you are you?

Coming to AG for the friendly or are you another who suddenly can't scrape together £15 for the game? Your lot are an embarrassment to Bristol with every excuse under the sun as to why your not coming!

Embarrassment to Bristol?? Unsure About that...That's been bounded either way north and south of the river for differing reasons over the years and some of it could be true. Either way tbh..

Anyway, I'm coming, because I don't like you lot.

Embarrassment to Bristol?? Unsure About that...That's been bounded either way north and south of the river for differing reasons over the years and some of it could be true. Either way tbh..

Anyway, I'm coming, because I don't like you lot.

Yes you read it right pikey. We are talking football here and you are an 'Embarrassment' to Bristol. That's a fact.

Always in the bottom half of the gutter of English football. No fans and an awful stadium. Therefore you are an embarrassment to Bristol outside the deluded jealous bristol rovers bubble. We are a poor outfiit and but are still miles above your sorry lot both on and off the pitch.

Enjoy your FA cup final.

Yes you read it right pikey. We are talking football here and you are an 'Embarrassment' to Bristol. That's a fact.

Always in the bottom half of the gutter of English football. No fans and an awful stadium. Therefore you are an embarrassment to Bristol outside the deluded jealous bristol rovers bubble. We are a poor outfiit and but are still miles above your sorry lot both on and off the pitch.

Was interesting in Ukraine actually meeting football fans from all over Europe and whenever we said we were from Bristol they always said 'are you Bristol City fans'? Not even an acknowledgment there could be another team in Bristol. The Championship gets half decent coverage in Europe I think. league Two gets #### all.

Keep hoping Ciderup. Don't think it will be plain sailing (Football Stadiums never are!!) I really hope we both get our stadiums and Bristol will then have two stadiums to be proud of. The problem for both teams will then be how to create an atmosphere in them. when they are probably both half full!! I can't really understand how either clubs plans get turned down when you think the mess this country is in with jobs and how many jobs these stadiums will create ie two new supermarkets being staffed and lots of ancilliary things.

Supposedly 'friendly sag', I am not hoping against your stadium, Bristol needs to get to the 21st century.

While I reckon your stadium PP will absolutely sail through, our experience with our Sainsburys' application would lead me to think that the Mem plan will really struggle.

Let's break it down into comparisons:

1.We were omly moving a supermarket 100 yards. You already have loads of them within a very small radius.

2. Our entrance is off of a non residential dual carriageway, yours is off of a residential single carriageway which is gridlocked already.

3. We didn't have local residents to concern ourselves with access times and traffic considerations, you most definitely do.

4. The nearest supermarket to Ashton Gate (apart from the existing Sainsburys') is Asda at Bedminster bridge which is a fair distance away. Within that distance, you have Tescos' at Golden Hill, Tesco's at Eastville, a supermarket opposite your potential new home and a huge Tesco's at Bradley stoke not to mention Cribbs' causeway. There isn't a need for yet another supermarket there WTGR.

5. Air pollution, lorries, tanker access (24x7) isn't going to sit well with the residents of Horfield nor their ELECTED representatives.

As I mentioned, good luck to you with your plans but I really do think next week is NOT your big battle as IMHO it's a given that the stadium will be passed, your biggest battle is with the Mem plan which I think will take a minor miracle to get through planning.

As I asked earlier, what is the contingency plan regarding the UWE if (as I suspect) the supermarket plan gets turned down?

I get what your saying CU re: the contingency plan.

Unsure really, I think its just fingers crossed,rabbits foot in me pocket and a horseshoe hooked on my outside post..

We will have to see about that when the time comes.

Hopefully it won't come to this and all my lucky charms would of worked.,

I get what your saying CU re: the contingency plan.

Unsure really, I think its just fingers crossed,rabbits foot in me pocket and a horseshoe hooked on my outside post..

We will have to see about that when the time comes.

Hopefully it won't come to this and all my lucky charms would of worked.,

Fair play Pepsi. It's nice to see you're alot more realistic than friendly sag who appears to have already chosen his seat!

Supposedly 'friendly sag', I am not hoping against your stadium, Bristol needs to get to the 21st century.

While I reckon your stadium PP will absolutely sail through, our experience with our Sainsburys' application would lead me to think that the Mem plan will really struggle.

Let's break it down into comparisons:

1.We were omly moving a supermarket 100 yards. You already have loads of them within a very small radius.

2. Our entrance is off of a non residential dual carriageway, yours is off of a residential single carriageway which is gridlocked already.

3. We didn't have local residents to concern ourselves with access times and traffic considerations, you most definitely do.

4. The nearest supermarket to Ashton Gate (apart from the existing Sainsburys') is Asda at Bedminster bridge which is a fair distance away. Within that distance, you have Tescos' at Golden Hill, Tesco's at Eastville, a supermarket opposite your potential new home and a huge Tesco's at Bradley stoke not to mention Cribbs' causeway. There isn't a need for yet another supermarket there WTGR.

5. Air pollution, lorries, tanker access (24x7) isn't going to sit well with the residents of Horfield nor their ELECTED representatives.

As I mentioned, good luck to you with your plans but I really do think next week is NOT your big battle as IMHO it's a given that the stadium will be passed, your biggest battle is with the Mem plan which I think will take a minor miracle to get through planning.

As I asked earlier, what is the contingency plan regarding the UWE if (as I suspect) the supermarket plan gets turned down?

Actually it was more complicated than just moving a supermarket to Ashton gate - the huge increase in size compared to the original was the sticking point. That had and still has, the capacity to seriously affect the shops in North St. Traffic will probably be the bigger bugbear for the Horfield Sainsbury's. The East St Asda is 1.5 miles from Ashton Gate, only the Golden Hill Tesco is closer to Filton Ave than that.

The only contigency plan for no Sainsbury's, is to redevelop the Mem in a similar manner to the attempt that failed last time. The UWE plan rests entirely on Sainsbury's getting p.p. and I would have thought that all Rovers fans know that. That said, Sainsbury's are very good at getting planning permission. Something like only one refusal in the whole country in the last two years.

I know fully too well that anything involving Bristol City Council will be both long winded and they will make every attempt to scuttle our plans.It just seems nonsence when both our stadiums will present job opportunities that are sadly lacking. We have been in this position far more times than yourselves so I have not chosen my seat yet as you put it!! Lets hope we both finally get the new Stadiums we deserve.

I know fully too well that anything involving Bristol City Council will be both long winded and they will make every attempt to scuttle our plans.It just seems nonsence when both our stadiums will present job opportunities that are sadly lacking. We have been in this position far more times than yourselves so I have not chosen my seat yet as you put it!! Lets hope we both finally get the new Stadiums we deserve.

indeed but historically your attempts have always fallen short because your board can never give enough assurances of where the funding will actually come from, let's hope things are different this time when those questions are being asked.

Actually it was more complicated than just moving a supermarket to Ashton gate - the huge increase in size compared to the original was the sticking point. That had and still has, the capacity to seriously affect the shops in North St. Traffic will probably be the bigger bugbear for the Horfield Sainsbury's. The East St Asda is 1.5 miles from Ashton Gate, only the Golden Hill Tesco is closer to Filton Ave than that.

The only contigency plan for no Sainsbury's, is to redevelop the Mem in a similar manner to the attempt that failed last time. The UWE plan rests entirely on Sainsbury's getting p.p. and I would have thought that all Rovers fans know that. That said, Sainsbury's are very good at getting planning permission. Something like only one refusal in the whole country in the last two years

" in the last two years",this is worrying !!!

Sorry to be pedantic but, you've never been in this position before. You have never submitted a single planning application for any proposed stadium.

There was a failed attempt at Hengrove when the council suggested that it was stupid of Rovers to even consider a new stadium in South Bristol. There was the stupid notion that South Glos Council would allow you to build on Carsons green, an area surrounded by common land with poor transport links. Then there was the grandiose scheme to build a stadium on severnside in an area surrounded by chemical works. The last one, you actually employed consultants to carry out a feasability study. At the end of that study and £100k down the road, the consultants asked if there were any reasons that a stadium could not be built on severnside, the council or environment agency informed the consultants that this was not possible because of the type of industry currently there. Bristol Rovers directors and fans blamed Bristol City Council for their own consultants lack of professionalism, when not asking the basic question first.

It was at this point that the supporters and club demanded that Bristol council found them a site? They then had the audacity to run against the council in the local elections. Always someone elses fault!

Sorry to be pedantic but, you've never been in this position before. You have never submitted a single planning application for any proposed stadium.

There was a failed attempt at Hengrove when the council suggested that it was stupid of Rovers to even consider a new stadium in South Bristol. There was the stupid notion that South Glos Council would allow you to build on Carsons green, an area surrounded by common land with poor transport links. Then there was the grandiose scheme to build a stadium on severnside in an area surrounded by chemical works. The last one, you actually employed consultants to carry out a feasability study. At the end of that study and £100k down the road, the consultants asked if there were any reasons that a stadium could not be built on severnside, the council or environment agency informed the consultants that this was not possible because of the type of industry currently there. Bristol Rovers directors and fans blamed Bristol City Council for their own consultants lack of professionalism, when not asking the basic question first.

It was at this point that the supporters and club demanded that Bristol council found them a site? They then had the audacity to run against the council in the local elections. Always someone elses fault!

That rather depends on whether you count the successful application for the redevelopment of the Memorial Stadium as a proposed stadium or not.

Despite the amount of moaning from both sets of fans, the fact remains that neither club has ever had a planning application turned down by the city council.

That rather depends on whether you count the successful application for the redevelopment of the Memorial Stadium as a proposed stadium or not.

Despite the amount of moaning from both sets of fans, the fact remains that neither club has ever had a planning application turned down by the city council.

No, it can't be considered as a new stadium application, merely redevelopment. There is already a stadium (of sorts) there which sets a precident and it's not a new location.

No, it can't be considered as a new stadium application, merely redevelopment. There is already a stadium (of sorts) there which sets a precident and it's not a new location.

I think you have highlighted how difficult it is to find a suitable site for a new stadium within the city boundary. The joint ccuncil/Rovers/ City study in 2000 failed to find a single site developable on a practical or cost effective basis. Now we have City trying to develop a green belt site with all the problems that has produced, and Rovers intending to move to South Glos.

Archived