IGNORED

Pitman Given Number 10

marcofisher

Had a quality end to the season under Del last year...

He's a good Championship keeper and after playing so well at the end of the season deserves to start as the no.1.

Competition is all well and good, and as the no.1 he has to maintain the high standards he's shown, but if Del signs a new first choice keeper then it would be very understandable if Gerken's patience ran out.

He waited a long time to get another chance and took it in very impressive fashion, so he's done all he can.

He's the natural successor to James if Del thinks he's good enough - if that's not the case he would surely start to think he might be more appreciated elsewhere.

Agree he had a quality end to last season. Our (unsteady) back four looked far more confident with him behind them. With the right central defensive pairing in front of him, it makes for a good base to build upon.

If Del does think he's good enough, as has been said elsewhere, perhaps we shouldn't waste money on a second choice 'keeper and use Lewis Carey on the bench.

@Jordan - that video only proves what I have always said, that Pitman is a natural finisher and with the right service could be devastating - no-one else at the club has that kind of touch (well, Del might but anyway).

But he needs service - personally, I'd put a deep lying striker/AMF behind him who's only attacking role was to feed him - either Pearson or (wait for it) Kilkenny. And the whole team should simply work to set him up with chances. Many of these goals seem to have been scored on the counter, which is interesting.

As for his lack of pace, well he seemed quick enough to me, and if he gets in the right place at the right time, I don't think it matters if he has granite feet...

Very true the most striking thing for me (pun intended) is that he virtually never takes a touch, which is a natural trait for great finishers, Andy Cole famously missed more when he took that extra touch, when he didn't take that touch he was deadly, should be looking to build a team around him and play to his strengths, great strikers are as rare as rocking horse shit.

Glad to hear, it's my first attempt at making a vid, so was slightly concerned about what reaction it would get.

The song is Trembling Hands by The Temper Trap. :)

An excellent job Jordan, a rare flash of quality in the off season. I liked his one touch and calmly placed shots.

Thanks again.

Rednready.

I understand that he has his detractors, but for me Pitman should have been one of the first names on the team sheet since we signed him. He scores goals, which is something we've generally had a problem with. Great penalty taker looking back at those highlights too, anyone remember him missing one? Not that he's taken many I guess.

I understand that he has his detractors, but for me Pitman should have been one of the first names on the team sheet since we signed him. He scores goals, which is something we've generally had a problem with. Great penalty taker looking back at those highlights too, anyone remember him missing one? Not that he's taken many I guess.

Totally agree. Should play every game for me.

Glad for Brett as I've always rated him, such a talented footballer and I still think this 'laziness' is often over exaggerated. He closes down defenders just as much as the next striker, his positional sense is very clever for a striker and often makes up for his lack of pace. For me he's easily capable of scoring 20 goals a season if starting most games.

Recently made a video of his goals for us as well if anyone wants to take a look. Note how the majority are one touch finishes!

[media=]

Really enjoyed that! He seems happy in those videos aswell, possibly relating too the amount he was playing! I think Del has him big in his plans this season though as Stead and Taylor are both very similar!

I don't see us going out and buying a star forward this summer so I'd imagine he'll get the number 10 shirt yeah. Hopefully he gets given a bit more chance with a full season ahead.

Bristol City manager Derek McInnes has confirmed he is scouring the transfer market for a striker in the Nicky Maynard mould.

Bristol City manager Derek McInnes has confirmed he is scouring the transfer market for a striker in the Nicky Maynard mould.

So we are looking for a striker who when he has a serious and potentially carerr threatening injury, has his club stand by him, but on proving his fitness won't commit to the club long term with a new contract, won't tell the club what his long term plans are, strings the club and fans along for months and then does a deal losing his club and his previous club loads of money and for good measure he also doesn't want his child brought up locally and developing the local accent. He must also be pacey, able to create chances out of nothing and be bale to manage a 20 goal season.

Can't imagine there are too many strikers like that out there, who are with a premier league team and not getting much game time and in danger of dropping down the pecking order if their current team bring in more big money signings during the summer, so would be interested in going out to a championship team. Can you?

Archived