IGNORED

Pompey Deadline

SimonL

Nope.

They'll get first pickings.

The only way they won't is via breach of contract and as they are turning up for training and making themselves available for games, that would be unlikely.

Most of them will let the club go under, get their money (eventually), and then get another deal somewhere else - they all know that they aint worth the same money to any other club, not even a quarter of it, so I really can't see them walking away from what they are owed.

Ben Haim is owed 1m in image rights alone as well as his 36k per week for the period of his contract - no way he can walk away from that, and why the hell should he ?

The people "running" that club at the time of the second administration are the ones who should be hounded for dishing out such contracts and pushing the club under.

its the same ppl that are trying to buy it now, hence no sympithy

Yep.

Its a few grand the creditors won't see, unless some benefactor decided to waste his/her money.

sends out the wrong messages though.

Apparently Pompey's trip to Spain was funded by a fan, so is costing the club nothing. I'm sure this fan could have put his money to better use elsewhere, but I guess that's their decision.

Speaking to a Pompey fan last night, the administrator has apparently been behaving very badly. He's been feeding stories to the press about how the players have to give up the millions owed to them in order to save the club, while at the same time charging several million (i.e. more than Ben Haim is owed), for his own services. Quite a few of the players have tried to negotiate with him, but he's been away on holiday.

A lot of Pompey fans did complain when they signed Kitson etc as soon as they came out of administration, but what, ultimately, could the fans do about this?

The people initially at fault for this - Storrie, Gaydamak, Mandric (Redknapp??) are long gone and will get no punishment for this.

That said, I do hope Pompey get liquidated and that this sends a message to the rest of football. A lot of Pompey fans want this too apparently. Wipe the slate clean (screwing a lot of local businesses in the process, of course...) and start in the Blue Square South, or similar.

Well, so he says.

He's on £36k a week contract with a league one team and been on this sort of ridiculous figure for years, even though in my humble opinion he's a no better player than Jamie McAllister.

I think a better indication of the sort of bloke he is was when he refused to even stop and talk to the fans yesterday who were trying to get the remaining 8 to rip up their contracts, in contrast to David Norris, who courteously did so.

I think he's a a parasite, a clear example of why people fall out of love with football, with mediocrity like him being paid far too much (and yes, I know Pompey offered him the deal) and an unpleasant, selfish individual all round.

Forget weather he's worth those wages as that's not the point, the point is he was offered these wages and he accepted them to play for Portsmouth.

It's not his problem a club can't afford what was agreed, as stated I would not walk away from 2.5m and I don't expect him to either.

one of the great clubs around - great ground, fans and tradition. gutted for their fans, football will be poorer without portsmouth. but as others have noted, it's a a self-inflicted wound they suffer. fingers crossed football learns a lesson from their likely demise, but i feel it won't.

Harry is going to talk to Kanu about coming to a compromise over the wages he is owed, my god the irony of that beggars belief, I bet the club don't owe Harry a penny, 'cos knowing how much Harry covets his shekels I bet it would be a different tune if they did.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11674/7931803/Harry-to-wade-into-Pompey-crisis

If they don't ado that and Pompey go under they will get paid every penny that is owed to them under the football creditors rule while all other creditors get a few pence in the pound.

So what makes you think they'll chuck hundreds of thousands of pounds away ?

It aint like they're all from Portsmouth and have some allegiance to the club.

Liquidation will mean they join the list of creditors, they won't be first in the queue.

They will be better off coming to a compromise. But as both sides are likely to play "hardball", I expect it to go to literally the last minute.

How come they can still afford to send the players away to a training camp in Spain last week ? surely they should not be spending the little money they have left on things like that

The Spain trip was apparently paid for by a third party benefactor and did not come from club funds.

Ben haim is owed 2.5m, I would not walk away from that

Walk away from what exactly?.. the pot is empty, end of.

If he wants to hang around because he likes the coastal views or the shade of blue on Fratton Park then good luck to him but none of it will do him any good.

No there aren't.

The club may own Fratton (i'm sure they don't - its rented from council) but every single square inch of land around FP was sold by Gaydanak (?) to developers knowing Pompey were going bust soon.

They have no physical assets at all.

Everything was sold,including the teams bus.

I think there was talk of the council buying Fratton but at this point it's still owned by the club, hence why the players are still turning up every day as the football creditor rule means they will get what's owed to them first.

Archived