IGNORED

Who Hade The Best Strike Force!

stephenkibby.

interesting discussion.

My gas head mates at school always jerked off over their Jason Roberts / jamie Cureton / Bobby Zamora partnership they had.

As you can tell, i'm a younger fan from what the OP was aiming at, but i can only go off what i've seen at BS3 and from what the Gas have had.

The best goal scorers do not necessarily make the best strike force / partnership. Robbie Fowler should have played for England a lot more than he did but he was up against Shearer & Sheringham and then the emergence of Owen. Other than scoring, he never really offered too much (albeit, he was bloody excellent at putting it in the net) - it is why I am such a big fan of Thierry Henry, he offered so much for the team as well as scoring goals.

The Bridges / Stewart / Brooker line up under tinnion and then Johnson never got going.

I was a big fan of the Steve Jones & Tony Thorpe partnership - Jones came back from injury and worked his arse off as well as pitching in with a few goals and Thorpe was an excellent forward who I personally dont think he got the credit he deserved. Then Jones got reinjured and Thorpe left.

Akinbiyi and Anderson - on paper, very good but never got going.

Goater and Cramb - fantastic partnership. That was one great season with those 2 leading the line.

The best football i have ever seen city play was away at preston a few years ago, it helped we had Hartley controlling everything, but the front 3's movement that day was terrorising. it was Clarkson, Maynard and Haynes........ :ill:

I only just remember Andy Cole, he went on the be one of the best goal scorers the prem has ever seen, but for us he did not put the effort in.

when you look back, there are quite a lot to choose from.

Turner + Taylor for me. :worship2:

Think I'd go along with that - it says a lot for Turner and Taylor , I've been watching City for 40 years, so to be called the best partnership of that period of time is high praise from any fan. Certain goals stick in the memory with them thou - super bob's 30 yard strike v Crewe at home for his hat trick but that couldn't beat Robbie Turners 15 yard header v Cardiff at ninian having gone off for 12 stitches in his forehead !! What a goal that was.

interesting discussion.

My gas head mates at school always jerked off over their Jason Roberts / jamie Cureton / Bobby Zamora partnership they had.

As you can tell, i'm a younger fan from what the OP was aiming at, but i can only go off what i've seen at BS3 and from what the Gas have had.

The best goal scorers do not necessarily make the best strike force / partnership. Robbie Fowler should have played for England a lot more than he did but he was up against Shearer & Sheringham and then the emergence of Owen. Other than scoring, he never really offered too much (albeit, he was bloody excellent at putting it in the net) - it is why I am such a big fan of Thierry Henry, he offered so much for the team as well as scoring goals.

The Bridges / Stewart / Brooker line up under tinnion and then Johnson never got going.

I was a big fan of the Steve Jones & Tony Thorpe partnership - Jones came back from injury and worked his arse off as well as pitching in with a few goals and Thorpe was an excellent forward who I personally dont think he got the credit he deserved. Then Jones got reinjured and Thorpe left.

Akinbiyi and Anderson - on paper, very good but never got going.

Goater and Cramb - fantastic partnership. That was one great season with those 2 leading the line.

The best football i have ever seen city play was away at preston a few years ago, it helped we had Hartley controlling everything, but the front 3's movement that day was terrorising. it was Clarkson, Maynard and Haynes........ :ill:

I only just remember Andy Cole, he went on the be one of the best goal scorers the prem has ever seen, but for us he did not put the effort in.

when you look back, there are quite a lot to choose from.

I too am not old enough to be considered one of the old boys, but in my time the Goater and Cramb partnership was class.

Loved Akinbiyi but he wasn't always up top with Soren, although they were good together.

However I will not accept under any circumstances Steve donkey Jones making a best striker thread!!!!! Not on this earth!!

I lloved turner and Taylor

but I really would have liked to seen more of Morgan and Taylor.

Morgan was a hugely talented forward,, I don't think he got anywhere near the credit he deserved. Just a shame taylor loast so much confidence when we went up, becaue a full focused Taylor, with that great leader of a lie Morgan could have worked wonders

John Ateyo and Terry Bush , both big and strong and sent fear through the opp defence , no protecting the goalie like today and seen both fairly shoulder barge opp goalies who hit the back of the net without touching the floor whilst still holding the ball . At the other end of the scale as mentioned by Paulton Red Rilley / Nevile for small strikers were great as memories of Wembley and the LDV final keep reminding me also can't forget Cheesley and Richie in top flight though not for long enough

Thought brooker & lita in 04/05 was a pretty decent one. How many goals did those 2 get together that season.

That was a fantastic season over 50 goals, between them, Tinnion's first season. Get's a lot of bad pr on here, with some justification, but he did sign Orr and Brooker and give Lita his opportunity which Wilson never really did.(I'lloverlook signing Dinning!!!) He also bought a very decent League One striker Paul Heffernan on the bench due to their form. Shame it went so wrong the next season......

For 2 small in stature strikers the Glyn Riley / Steve Neville partnership was a good one. Can still picture Riley up on the railings celebrating everytime he scored. Would have been booked every single time in this day and age!!

Agree 100% , obviously !!

TRl ......Don Clark Center forward 117 apps 67 goals....played with Len Townsend , inside right 74 apps 45 goals and Cyril Williams inside left 296 apps 69 goals

Cheers

That on paper looks pretty impressive, not being alive then, I wonder just how well they all lined up.

TRL......born 1 year to late to see don Clark myself he retired in 1951 mainly played with LenTownsend . Cyril Williams joined from West Brom 1/2 way through dons last season but my old man said they would of been dinamite. Together

Cheers Lichfield. My dad spoke about Clark, but only really from memories from his dad, as he was born in 44 himself. Now I do get hell of a lot of Atyeo and Thresher stories from my dad :)

Archived