IGNORED

Marvin Elliott

sglosbcfc

The Evening Post are reporting that Marv is making his comeback tonight, I was chatting to him on Saturday and he said he was two weeks away! Maybe I misunderstood him and he meant two weeks away from full match fitness. The only other thing I can think is that The Post may have it wrong, surely not?

Direct quote from McInnes in the post:

"We had hoped Marvin would be on the bench for the game against Bristol Rovers on Saturday, but he was not quite ready.

"He did a bit of work on Sunday and Monday with the rest of the lads and I'm hopeful he will get some part of the game against Southampton.

This guy gets some unfair stick on here. Be great to see him back.

Unfair stick?

He lacks the quality needed to be part of a successful Championship team. No doubt he's a trier and always gives 100% but the bottom line is that he's not quite up to standard.

His main weakness is lack of vision and his passing skills are way below Championship standards.

McInnes is building a new sqaud and I can't see Elliot being a long term part of those plans.

This guy gets some unfair stick on here. Be great to see him back.

+1

Might not be the player he was in the play off season but still gets unfair stick on here.

Since Barcelona/Spain have revolutionised the game it's almost as though everyone now thinks that you have to play tippy tappy football and that every player in your team must good on the ball, have quick feet and be able to slide a pass through the eye of a needle.

Marv may have his limits, but he is still a very useful addition to our squad.

Unfair stick?

He lacks the quality needed to be part of a successful Championship team. No doubt he's a trier and always gives 100% but the bottom line is that he's not quite up to standard.

His main weakness is lack of vision and his passing skills are way below Championship standards.

McInnes is building a new sqaud and I can't see Elliot being a long term part of those plans.

So the season when he was our best player and we made the play off final was a dream, was it?

He isn't the most skilled but his endeavour and goals are very useful to our squad.

So the season when he was our best player and we made the play off final was a dream, was it?

He isn't the most skilled but his endeavour and goals are very useful to our squad.

It's a team game. Not every player can do everything required otherwise we wouldn't be where we are. It's how you mould them together.

Funny how last year people would slate Killa for holding onto the ball etc, Skuse for not being good enough on the ball etc but you don't need 11 players who can pass the ball to play good football.

That was 4 seasons ago and probably the best season Elliot has had during his City career. His endeavour and odd goal paper over the deficits in his game.

I think we always lack energy in midfield when he's not there, sometimes a poor first touch, but let's face if his first touch was better he would be playing somewhere else.

I agree totally. Hoping he gets back to full fitness and at least gets a chance.

There wouldn't be a problem if he was still playing to that level. He hasn't for some time though.

He reads the game poorly, has bad control and can't pass particularly well.

Marv may have his limits, but he is still a very useful addition to our squad.

Agree with this.

He is by no means the complete player, but his energy, commitment and hard running are sorely missed when he's out of the squad.

Good player to have as part of our options.

A fully fit Marv and the craft of Jody Morris could make for a dynamic central midfield pairing this season. With Morris holding and Marv being able to do his forward runs it could be interesting!

I doubt Elliot will be a first choice. Morris, Skuse, Kilkenny, Pearson,Anderson, Woolford, Adomah, Bolasie and possibly another addition all vying for a starting spot in 4 or 5 places.

No, the season when he was our best player (half a season really - he was gash after L'il Lee got injured against Watford) is now a distant memory. You can't excel in this division on hard work alone and his goals aren't frequent enough to justify a place in the side imo. I'd put 100% effort in if I was picked, however I'd still be shite, so wouldn't be worth my place!

People need to let go of the memory of what Marv once did and look at what he offers now, which is very little.

From the way he played Marv last season when at times he wasn't even close to be fully fit and from some of the things he has said in the media I get the feeling that McInnes really does rate him. I doubt he will start the season in the team due to his injury and the way that Skuse finished last season, but I would suggest that it wouldn't take many losses for the manager to bring Marv into the team. He may not be the definite starter he has been ever since he got here anymore, but I don't think there can be any doubt that he is still an important member of our squad.

The key with Marv and the reason that at times he looked so poor under Millen is using him in the correct way and having the right type of players around him. When McInnes first came in last season he was back to his best and that is because it was clear that he was just being asked to do the things he is undeniably good at. Getting around the pitch, winning the ball and then passing it somebody better than him. His form around this time was a major factor in Kilkenny looking a better player.

Not to me he hasn't, I wish all our players would have the effort and workrate of Marv

All the players have a high work rate but that alone is not enough. You need more than effort to be effective on a consistent basis in the Championship. If it was down to workrate and effort then you could build a team made up of pro cyclists.............

Who would you leave out then from the current midfield to play Elliot?

We dont need more 'squad' players we just want players who should be in the first team.

Thats been our problem in recent years, when we have a team of 'squad' players we are seriously average.

I just want players selected who are my first choice. Elliots doesnt fall into that category, sorry.

We dont need more 'squad' players we just want players who should be in the first team.

Thats been our problem in recent years, when we have a team of 'squad' players we are seriously average.

I just want players selected who are my first choice. Elliots doesnt fall into that category, sorry.

Kilkenny, Pearson

Elliot would be my first name on the team sheet he would also be my captain,

He was prob our only midfielder who tracked back last season (skuse does but was playing at right back) before he got injured, his steam 40 yard run to put in a crunching tackle was missed and was one of the few who showed any fight when we were on our poor run,

But not Johnson McAllister and Millen have gone some one has to be the focus of the whingers on this forum

Unfair stick?

You talk a load of shit sometimes

I would say we do need squad players, nothing wrong with a bit of competition. Elliot is definitely good enough to be in the first team IMO.

I would say we do need squad players, nothing wrong with a bit of competition. Elliot is definitely good enough to be in the first team IMO.

He wouldn't of been offered a new contract if he wasn't (signed after McInnes was here I think),

So I think elliots is going to be around the first team for awhile yet

He wouldn't of been offered a new contract if he wasn't (signed after McInnes was here I think),

So I think elliots is going to be around the first team for awhile yet

I agree, plus he gives us something different. I just don't get why some people don't see that.

He has his weaknesses but he has his strengths too, just like every other player.

Archived