IGNORED

Chris Wood Told He Can Leave

bcfcbs20

I may get lynched for this but I'd prefer Wood to Stead. I like Stead, but he spends an awful lot of time on the deck for a big fella, I'd love him to be a bit stronger.

We must have been watching different players, Nibor because I was really impressed by Wood! Just goes to show doesn't it?

However, with Stead and Taylor already at the club I can't see this happening.

Dear god no. Were people watching a different player to me?

He worked hard but had no control or skill on the ball, didn't compete well in the air for a big guy and didn't link play or hold the ball up much. There's plenty better out there.

it's a bit like some on here who still hold on to the belief that Woolford and Killkenny (despite their woeful/mediocre careers at BCFC so far) will suddenly become consistent performers, I have even seen a couple of postings stating that Stewart could still become our missing centre back.

He worked hard but had no control or skill on the ball, didn't compete well in the air for a big guy and didn't link play or hold the ball up much. There's plenty better out there.

+1, thought Stead and Pitman were much more effective players than Wood last year, he didn't do enough IMO.

Good player, if we didn't have Stead then would definitely like to see him back, but for me he is just too similar to Stead. (Don't know whether anyone noticed but when Stead's on the last man's shoulder trying to avoid straying offside, he does this weird leaning thing, that makes him look like a new born giraffe! Woody does exactly the same!)

We saw last season that he and Stead couldn't play THAT effectively together and nor could he and Pitman (much like Stead and Pitman can't! We really need to find someone who fills the void left by Maynard, whoever that may be?!

Good player, if we didn't have Stead then would definitely like to see him back, but for me he is just too similar to Stead. (Don't know whether anyone noticed but when Stead's on the last man's shoulder trying to avoid straying offside, he does this weird leaning thing, that makes him look like a new born giraffe! Woody does exactly the same!)

We saw last season that he and Stead couldn't play THAT effectively together and nor could he and Pitman (much like Stead and Pitman can't! We really need to find someone who fills the void left by Maynard, whoever that may be?!

Maynard with genuine pace.

it's a bit like some on here who still hold on to the belief that Woolford and Killkenny (despite their woeful/mediocre careers at BCFC so far) will suddenly become consistent performers, I have even seen a couple of postings stating that Stewart could still become our missing centre back.

He is our missing cb.

Only problem is he's been missing since the day he signed.

totally agree with nibs i thought he was pretty awfull worked hard etc but not a lot else in his locker as for the woolford debate i think he will surprise plenty of people nxt season ia m backing him to have a real good season

Good player, if we didn't have Stead then would definitely like to see him back, but for me he is just too similar to Stead.

Spot on.

Lets face it he didn't exactly get much service last season at City. In a more attacking side Wood showed that he's capable of scoring goals in Championship. I would imagine he won't have a problem finding another club.

I agree. I thought he brought very little to the team and would not want him back.

of course his part as with most of the squad in our survival is important but not a valid reason to sign him permanently, let us not forget he was pretty signed as cover for the injured Stead and Taylor and didn't feature as much once Stead was considered fully fit.

indeed EBM but as we only have 3 strikers at the club and only 2 of them being fit I can't understand why people are saying a 20yo full international striker that played in the world cup and the olympics as well as europe isn't good enough for Bristol City

Obviously some of us were. I saw a player who was calm on the ball, with the ability to hold it with his back to goal and lay it back to the midfield. Witness his lay off to Skuse versus Barnsley. He can finish and is only 21 I think. Needs to find his level which is the Championship no doubt.

indeed EBM but as we only have 3 strikers at the club and only 2 of them being fit I can't understand why people are saying a 20yo full international striker that played in the world cup and the olympics as well as europe isn't good enough for Bristol City

Because he is not the sort of striker that we need, simples as, we already have 2 strikers in that mould (not quick and probably not capable of anywhere near 20 goals per season) and given that we don't really know DMC's real view on Pitman and his lack of pace, we need a pacy striker and Wood does not fit that particular bill.

I have to agree. He showed a few glimpses but nowhere near enough IMO, I was expecting much more from him. For a big fella he was very easily knocked about and his first touch at times was dreadful.

I know we haven't seen enough of Taylor to comment fairly but from the very small number of appearances he has made, he seems to be stronger on the ball than Wood.

I have to agree. He showed a few glimpses but nowhere near enough IMO, I was expecting much more from him. For a big fella he was very easily knocked about and his first touch at times was dreadful.

He scored a few goals for Brum, 9 in fact in 23 appearances. No doubt because they were a good outfit playing football that provided strikers with good service and therefore chances.

He didn't get anything like as many chances when playing for a struggling City side as well as being played out wide at times which lessened his goal scoring opportunities even more. He impressed me when he stood up to take that vital penalty at Forest. I didn't see a line of volunteers behind him.

I reckon he's a good player and at 20 still very young and inexperienced with room for improvement.

He scored a few goals for Brum, 9 in fact in 23 appearances. No doubt because they were a good outfit playing football that provided strikers with good service and therefore chances.

He didn't get anything like as many chances when playing for a struggling City side as well as being played out wide at times which lessened his goal scoring opportunities even more. He impressed me when he stood up to take that vital penalty at Forest. I didn't see a line of volunteers behind him.

I reckon he's a good player and at 20 still very young and inexperienced with room for improvement.

It's hard to disagree with any of that Robbored, I'm sure he would have been better off in a winning team but regardless, he was still on the whole, dissapointing. It wasn't necessarily a lack of goals that was the problem for me, his all round game was not great. As I said, I felt he showed glimpses of what he could do but knowhere near enough.

He is still young and will clearly improve but TBH I dont think its the type of striker we need anyway.

And despite those 9 goals, you try asking a Brum fan about him and see what they say. Or a Barnsley fan.

Honestly, I don't know what people saw in Wood. For a player at a Prem club even as a younger player he was gash.

His first touch took the ball to head height or at least 2 yards away from him nearly every time, and he usually took six touches to do what Stead does in two.

He won't make the grade at this level and I doubt at the level below either.

Although he isn't the pacy front man we need, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we make a bid for him, as it appears that the Baldock saga is dragging on for too long and as it is only 5 days from the start of the League season we do seem to be struggling with our original list of striking targets.

At 20 he could still improve considerably and although I accept he certainly he needs to do so, I definitely have a higher opinion of him than Nibor..

Archived