IGNORED

Where Is Our Chairman?

hooered

I wonder whether we were just spoilt having SL in charge, he was always a friendly face and always had time to chat to supporters. He was a very public figure that everyone could relate to.

CS never came across as being as approchable and cant say I ever saw him with away fans like SL would do, then now to be honest I'm not even sure I would recognise any of the guys at the helm of our club.

Is this the way forward ? I think not, at the end of the day we are the heart of the club, without us there is no club, and we will no doubt be around the club a lot longer than anyone in a paid role at the club. Dave Lloyd is the only voice that comes out of the club nowadays.

There are also clubs like palace who ask fans for help on redesigning the club badge and openly ask for ideas for their club shop and how they can do better.

Do you not think SL has the final say on all decisions then ? Or do you think the board do as they please because they think Steve's not looking !

Our situation is also a million miles from that at Man U. We dont have foreign investors looking to put the club in debt , we have a local businessman trying to get us out of debt , no comparison.

No I dont, I dont think SL rubber stamped who was made redundant this summer, I dont think SL decided who was going to advertise on the dugouts this year, I dont think SL decided which 2 stands to open on tuesday, he employed Price and Price employed Smith, and he pays them to make decisions, SL his not even a regular attendee of board meetings.

And my comparison is that when fans didnt like what the chairman/owner did they eventually left. If SL decided that the best place for a new stadium was north Bristol do you think he would listen to you if you didnt agree?

The most worrying thing is that we show no ambition at all. We had a good go at it in 2007-8, But from there on its been downhill or at the very best mediocre. We've put up with 5 years of rubbish basically, only JUST being good enough to be average. Personally, I'm fed up with the whole charade of City just existing to TRY REALLY HARD amongst comparible (motivated) teams.

Even a workaday Gillingham made us look like chumps on our own tump. I'm dreading Saturday to be honest, Florist will turn up in front of their home crowd and give us a gubbing, we'll all moan and groan until Tuesday when We'll give Palarse a game and maybe sneak a point, and then pray for a signing or two before the deadline. Same as last season, the season before, and the season before that.

As for Lansdown junior, well, far be it from me to cast aspersions but nepotism has never been a great force for good in football. We're not big enough to be a profitable business until we are ambitious enough to achieve our potential, and I can't personally see when that will ever happen.

We had a good go in 2007 yes and the club are still suffering the fallout from that,

as soon as the 12 million loss a season comes down to 4 mayber even 2 million loss a season then we may see the kind of investment last time,

Its not lack of ambition the club have all the ambition in the the world but they don't have the resources, Unlike other clubs like Cardiff Leicester and now Forest in this league we relay on 1 person for the source of our money not a collective,

What would rather have a lower midtable championship club running sound and holding their own or a bankrupt ex prem club thats won a FA cup and could be out of business tomorrow,

Portsmouth and Leeds had ambition and look where it got them,

You may not loike the cost cutting we are doing but you have to accept it FFP starts now we need to get our house in order which the current board are doing

You may not like it but thats the reality of the situation

We had a good go in 2007 yes and the club are still suffering the fallout from that,

as soon as the 12 million loss a season comes down to 4 mayber even 2 million loss a season then we may see the kind of investment last time,

Its not lack of ambition the club have all the ambition in the the world but they don't have the resources, Unlike other clubs like Cardiff Leicester and now Forest in this league we relay on 1 person for the source of our money not a collective,

What would rather have a lower midtable championship club running sound and holding their own or a bankrupt ex prem club thats won a FA cup and could be out of business tomorrow,

Portsmouth and Leeds had ambition and look where it got them,

You may not loike the cost cutting we are doing but you have to accept it FFP starts now we need to get our house in order which the current board are doing

You may not like it but thats the reality of the situation

This is all true but the board are making no effort to tell the fans what is going on and have failed to set out a compelling vision for where they want to take BCFC over the next few years.

We were blessed with a great communicator when SL was at the helm so the current set-up inevitably suffers by comparison but having faceless leaders who say nothing from one month's end to the next is inevitably going to lead to fans questioning the club's ambition. I can remember back in the day the East End chanting 'Kew, Kew, who are you?' at Stephen Kew when he was chairman.

What we clearly don't want is a David Russe situation where you have a chairman with totally unrealistic expectations getting fans dreaming of 'European football within five years' or similar nonsense.

Personally I'd settle for a grown up statement from the board saying 'we are aiming to balance the books but will spend enough to keep us in the Championship while we are doing so'.

This is all true but the board are making no effort to tell the fans what is going on and have failed to set out a compelling vision for where they want to take BCFC over the next few years.

We were blessed with a great communicator when SL was at the helm so the current set-up inevitably suffers by comparison but having faceless leaders who say nothing from one month's end to the next is inevitably going to lead to fans questioning the club's ambition. I can remember back in the day the East End chanting 'Kew, Kew, who are you?' at Stephen Kew when he was chairman.

What we clearly don't want is a David Russe situation where you have a chairman with totally unrealistic expectations getting fans dreaming of 'European football within five years' or similar nonsense.

Personally I'd settle for a grown up statement from the board saying 'we are aiming to balance the books but will spend enough to keep us in the Championship while we are doing so'.

what do you expect them to say?

Hello welcome to thursdays news conference we have no new news this week good bye,

Nick Higgs did that for the gas and it didn't work

We don't need to know whats going on in the board room unless it directly effects us the fans, there is a lot of re shuffling going on behind closed doors but I'm not expect nore demaniding to here anything in the news,

The only thing is buy a programme theres normally a chairman section in there then you will know thats theres no news to give,

The ground is back to square one once we recieve the second inspectors report then we will hear somthing

The budgets are and have always been secret they will never tell us

They can't comment on the team performances as we've only played one compeative game

They have already commented on the direction of the club and the need to reduce overheads due to massive losses

What more do you want? public coffe morning a weelkly AGM?

As the OP I agree with Martyn Hocking this not only does it lead to fans questioning the clubs ambition but also players and coaching staff. With no season statement of the expectations of the season ahead and the only face communication to the fanbase from the Manager who I'm sure is not employed to be the only spokesman for Bristol City FC this can only lead to a club with no end product to aim for, so please can we have as was said a grown up statement from the board to keep the punters happy.

I'd be keen to hear from Jon lansdown after all he seems to be the main guy focused with developing and managing our long term on-field strategy.

I did suggest a player interview with JL to Adam Baker during the summer so we could understand his role and get to know him as hopefully he and the Lansdown family will be here for sometime. I'm guessing with the drop in player quality we wont be seeing this now.

SL would have told Guy Price to reduce the debt and increase the corperate income which to be fair Kev Smith and his team are doing a good job of. Part of that is giving the company exposure on our website. It just sounds like thats the only news coming from the club during the summer months. Nothing wrong with that. While some people on here moan for moaning sake i do agree we are lacking leadership off the pitch and it needs someone to man up and communicate with the fans. Kev Smith to his credit answersmost fans but surely this job should be taken by Guy Price?

Hello welcome to thursdays news conference we have no new news this week good bye,

We don't need to know whats going on in the board room unless it directly effects us the fans, there is a lot of re shuffling going on behind closed doors but I'm not expect nore demaniding to here anything in the news,

The only thing is buy a programme theres normally a chairman section in there then you will know thats theres no news to give,

The ground is back to square one once we recieve the second inspectors report then we will hear somthing

They can't comment on the team performances as we've only played one compeative game

They have already commented on the direction of the club and the need to reduce overheads due to massive losses

Well, some communication on what is happening with the stadium would be nice. Even if its just a statement saying work is going on behind the scenes.

Some communication on how they are looking forward to the season and giving backing to the players and manager.

Maybe some communication to get fans fired up and keen to come along and support. Generate some passion and drive.

There is plenty they could be saying. No comms just seems to say that they have no interest in the fans (which I'm sure isn't true)

As the OP I agree with Martyn Hocking this not only does it lead to fans questioning the clubs ambition but also players and coaching staff. With no season statement of the expectations of the season ahead and the only face communication to the fanbase from the Manager who I'm sure is not employed to be the only spokesman for Bristol City FC this can only lead to a club with no end product to aim for, so please can we have as was said a grown up statement from the board to keep the punters happy.

you wouldnt get one until 2 today which is when the normal pre match pres confrence is held

Well, some communication on what is happening with the stadium would be nice. Even if its just a statement saying work is going on behind the scenes.

They can't comment until the inspector has seen the additional eveidance and reliese her report so no movement from the last statment they mad

Some communication on how they are looking forward to the season and giving backing to the players and manager.

Today is press day ahead of the new season expect to hear somthing (the same as the last god know how many seasons)

Maybe some communication to get fans fired up and keen to come along and support. Generate some passion and drive.

again today pre match press confrence as well as the artical in the match program that is produced and available at every single home game

There is plenty they could be saying. No comms just seems to say that they have no interest in the fans (which I'm sure isn't true)

like what?

also remember that the media department has recently gone through a re-suffle and as of yesterday Bean_Head was still sorting his team out which is another reason for lack of communications, but as with everything in this country people have a sence of self importance and want everything yesterday

The trouble is , they are damned if they do , damned if they dont. If the club issued a statement today or tommorrow along the lines of

"We are giving the manager our upmost support in the transfer market and will listen to all requests for player recruitment , meanwhile the stadium project is on course but we have no more to add at this point"

How do you think that would be received by the masses ? I reckon most on here would be saying "same shit , different day"

They can't comment until the inspector has seen the additional eveidance and reliese her report so no movement from the last statment they mad

Something to say that we are doing all we can to get the stadium built. Frustrating when you just get a statement saying that it's with the council and nothing to do with us. You can be passionate about what you want to deliver without upsetting the apple cart of the current stadium application process.

Today is press day ahead of the new season expect to hear somthing (the same as the last god know how many seasons)

So we have to wait for press day for our Chairman to say anything?

again today pre match press confrence as well as the artical in the match program that is produced and available at every single home game

Pre match press conference will just be Del again. The Chairman shouldn't need to use that channel of comms to relay his messages to fans. As for messages in programmes, that's only of use to fans who are actually at the games (won't bring any new fans in) and who actually buy a programme.

like what?

Like we are going into a really tough league with lots of big teams this season and are going to need the 12th man in the fans. We are going to battle and scrap and give our all to make this club a success. As I said, generate some passion.

FPP has been mentioned a lot on here during the offseason which means the need to be getting bums seats and generating more income. If they want to do this they need to get promoting what the club wants to acheieve and what they are doing to acheieve it. Hence more comms

What, like changing peoples seating arrangements for example, and that is one tiny example, rather than send a letter saying you are being moved. yet again Dave L is wheeled out to apologise, after a lot of bitching and moaning, reluctantly a director made a brief comment, while making sure he got his banal branding comment in.

They have a hell of a lot to learn about communication. They are faceless, and the sonner they realise that the better. at least one of the directors should be visible

You cannot keep defending the club willy nilly. There are a hell of a lot of areas in communications that they need to brush up on

steve lansdown is still our main investor

When Steve Lansdown stood down as chairman he said he would continue to back the manager financially,I see little evidence of that at the moment,in fact Del has stated because of our early exit from the Carling Cup it could weaken his hand in the transfer market.I think Mr Lansdown has pulled the plug.

I asked a few weeks back If we could get an interview with Keith Dawe and as of yet the silence is deafening. It would be nice to get his take on all things Bristol City but it seems like they would rather we spend our hard earned money and expect nothing back in return which I find strange. Don't get me wrong I don't want the ins and outs about our transfer targets or how much money they are on but a bit of commucation would'nt go a miss. As for Dave L I emailed him a good 6 weeks ago as of yet nothing back from him it seems as soon as they get your money you are no longer their focus of attention.

Just like mushrooms we are kept in the dark and fed shit. This has nothing to do with loosing Tuesday like I said I asked for Dawe's views weeks ago and I honestly think loosing against Gillingham could just be the kick up the arse we needed tbh it is said you learn more about your team in a defeat than by winning I hope this is true in our case and we go and perform well Saturday.

People going on like were in crisis

We lost 1 cup game, like we do every year, just like 4/5 other championship teams have aswell

Relax, why do we need the chairman to speak out before season has started?

8 championship clubs lost to lower league clubs tuesday

What, like changing peoples seating arrangements for example, and that is one tiny example, rather than send a letter saying you are being moved. yet again Dave L is wheeled out to apologise, after a lot of bitching and moaning, reluctantly a director made a brief comment, while making sure he got his banal branding comment in.

They have a hell of a lot to learn about communication. They are faceless, and the sonner they realise that the better. at least one of the directors should be visible

You cannot keep defending the club willy nilly. There are a hell of a lot of areas in communications that they need to brush up on

oh the atyeo where they listend to the fans and said existing season ticket holders can keep their seats you mean,

They didn't have to do that and could of stuck their fingers up and said don't like **** off they didn't they listened,

Yet faceless people sit behind their keyboards pooring consistant abuse towards the club players management and directors and you wonder why they stay quiet?

We are lucky to have who we have in charge of the club and personally if I was lansdown I would of pulled the plug a long time ago and left the club to rot for all the abuse he recieves on a daily basis,

The board report to him and not the fans thats the job of the management,

How many chairmen in the football league come out and explain every single call a club makes, when was the last time you seen glazor sat infront of a press confrence telling fans his vison for the club? when was the last time you saw David Andrews come out and tell Daganham and Redbridge fans the latest ticketing arrangement,

you don't because that is not what a board does they are solely their to run the business,

The direct links for us fans Is David Lloydd who you say was wheeled out well news for you thats his ******* job he is the fans leasion officer,

If you don't like the clubs communincations you need to complain to beanhead he is head of the media department/communications instead of consistantly slagging off the club on a daily basis try doing somthing about it

When Steve Lansdown stood down as chairman he said he would continue to back the manager financially,I see little evidence of that at the moment,in fact Del has stated because of our early exit from the Carling Cup it could weaken his hand in the transfer market.I think Mr Lansdown has pulled the plug.

so where did the money come from to pay for the signing on fees of cunningham heaton anderson and morris?

where does the 12 million come from so the club can break even come from?

If lansdown has pulled the club we'd be sat on -10 points facing liquidation

Deep breath Monkeh, getting a bit excited there. In fact I think you'd make the perfect Chairman with that passion :worship2:

I don't think those people like myself wanting to hear from either our owner or Chairman are doing so because we lost on Tuesday, well least I'm not anyway.

I've always felt this club with the catchment area it has on its doorstep doesn't do enough to get in the face of all bristolians and get more people to come along.

I'm probably living in a dream world.

Deep breath Monkeh, getting a bit excited there. In fact I think you'd make the perfect Chairman with that passion :worship2:

I don't think those people like myself wanting to hear from either our owner or Chairman are doing so because we lost on Tuesday, well least I'm not anyway.

I've always felt this club with the catchment area it has on its doorstep doesn't do enough to get in the face of all bristolians and get more people to come along.

I'm probably living in a dream world.

it doesn't do enough and hasn't for years even though it had alot of employees to do that, thats the reason why there has been a change of stratagy in the board room (announced when lansdown steped down and again when sexston left) and the reason there has been alot of redunceys and resuffling but like with every business in the world where theres been a apparant problem, things time time to change,

Demanding this and that now doesn't help things, like the voucher thing thats got out of hand people are crying about it, well last season early bird prices didn't get any additional benefits nether did season ticket holders when we first went up,

I can honest say this is the first season my ticket price has gone up a little since we been in the championship my season ticket has been cheaper every single year (early bird prices)

But you don't see people congratualting the club on that I haven;t seen on post say well done to the club for the bring a friend to one match for Free,

no people are just looking for an excuse to attack the club, its a wonder any one wants to play for us

Unfortunately i don't know your name, so I can't check if I got your email or not. If you'd like to email me again, I'll get back to you ASAP

Cheers for the reply my main query has been sorted now when I went down the Gate to get a shirt, the other stuff ain't important anymore.

I do think that all fans need to read the financial fair play rules. They come into effect now and are on a sliding scale, so that clubs can manage the impact over the next 2/3 seasons. It means that clubs have to manage within their means, or keep losses to a prescribed minimum, and limits the amount an equity investor ( in our case SL) can put into the club. We have been running losses of over £11m and were spending more on wages than the club was generating in income. Under FFP this state of affairs is not only unacceptable, it is completely unsustainable.

FFP does allow an owner to invest in certain aspects of a club without restriction. He can put money into an academy and also, interestingly, he can invest in the stadium. Steve cannot invest £90m in wages and transfer budget because FFp would not allow it, but he can invest £90 in a new stadium and the revenue from from said new stadium then becomes the club's income and that income can be used to fund wages and transfer fees, so you can see how important the new stadium is to the club's financial future. The stark reality is that in this league many other clubs generate bigger incomes than we, do so can afford to pay out more on wages and transfer fees than we can at the moment so let's hope that we see some positive news on the new stadium, because it's vital to our financial future.

Steve could throw caution to the wind and pump a load of money into the club now, but we would still have to acheive the FFP financial requirements on 2 years time and the longer we delay the inevitable the tougher the financial pain will be. Steve Lansdown might be wealthy and have deep pockets, but FFP now means that his bank account is not a bottomless pit into which the club can dip to fund transfers that it cannot itself afford. I am sure that SL will support the manager with funds, but he can now only do so if the spending keeps the club on target to achieve the FFP benchmarks by reducing our losses to the accepted levels in 2/3 years time.

Any club failing to meet the FFP targets will have a transfer embargo imposed by the football league. SL is trying to make sure we are in the best shape to compete when these regulations really bite in 2/3 years time. If my understanding is correct, the more profitable we are ( or the more we minimise our losses) the more SL is allowed to invest, so taking the pain now has to be in the club's best long term interests

This is not Championship Manager on the PC, this is the real world and the real financial rules that affect all championship clubs - not just BCFC.

oh the atyeo where they listend to the fans and said existing season ticket holders can keep their seats you mean,

They didn't have to do that and could of stuck their fingers up and said don't like **** off they didn't they listened,

Yet faceless people sit behind their keyboards pooring consistant abuse towards the club players management and directors and you wonder why they stay quiet?

We are lucky to have who we have in charge of the club and personally if I was lansdown I would of pulled the plug a long time ago and left the club to rot for all the abuse he recieves on a daily basis,

The board report to him and not the fans thats the job of the management,

How many chairmen in the football league come out and explain every single call a club makes, when was the last time you seen glazor sat infront of a press confrence telling fans his vison for the club? when was the last time you saw David Andrews come out and tell Daganham and Redbridge fans the latest ticketing arrangement,

you don't because that is not what a board does they are solely their to run the business,

The direct links for us fans Is David Lloydd who you say was wheeled out well news for you thats his ******* job he is the fans leasion officer,

If you don't like the clubs communincations you need to complain to beanhead he is head of the media department/communications instead of consistantly slagging off the club on a daily basis try doing somthing about it

You miss the point

I said a Director, not Lansdown, we hear nothing from Director level, Just Dave L, who seems to do a hell of a lot of apologising for them. How hard is it to communicate!

As for your final point I have sent various mails to BCFC pointing out the lack of communication. I don't just sit here spouting drivel!

Archived