IGNORED

Rvp To United

herman

Well perhaps a little exaggerated but the other three definitely are. Dzeko's more of a centre forward than a striker but I think all he's lacking is time on the pitch. His strike rate's excellent for a line leader. IMO RVP is overrated, he's had one and a half good seasons in eight at Arsenal.

I think RVP has always had the talent and when he has been fit for Arsenal he's looked the part, it's just the injuries have set him back massively. Judging on last season maybe is torrid injury history is behind him? Time will tell.

I think Kagawa is the signing of the summer for the price. Dortmund say they would of wanted in excess of 30m had he not had one year left on his contract as he was instrumental in them winning the bundesliga.

I Still think Citeh will pull out one or two more big signings.

All opinions of course but in mine Aguero is miles better, Tevez is a lot better, Balotelli is slightly better. All three are still improving. RVP will only decline from here.

If Tevez was that good ManU would have signed him on.....they didnt.

For me Van Persie is better than the 3 of them, but wouldnt suprise me with time if Balotelli over took him in a few years.

For me Van Persie is better than the 3 of them, but wouldnt suprise me with time if Balotelli over took him in a few years.

Tevez rejected a new contract at man u not the other way round?

RVP had a poor euros and not a great pre season so I'm expecting a slow start at man u. Maybe not so good for welbecks chances, came on a lot (development wise) last season

those of you questioning man united's midfield seem to be drastically underrating kagawa - saw him a lot playing for BVB last year and he is quality on his day.

with cleverley coming on as well as he is, and carrick still fairly solid (ish) i wouldn't be all that worried, though they clearly do still need a defensive midfield option

Not for lack of trying?

Aguero scored more goals in his first Premier League season than RVP has in any except last season. His strike rate was better than two in three.

Tevez has 47 in 79 for Man City, better rate than RVP at Arsenal. Even Balotelli's rate is pretty much the same and he's not had a similar amount of opportunity.

Tevez, Aguero, Balotelli and Dzeko played for a much better team than Arsenal, hence more opportunities.

Balotelli scored 19 in 40, RVP scored 37 in 48, not sure that is similar. Balotelli had a 5 month spell when Tevez was playing golf so certainly had enough playing time to convince.

Tevez, Aguero, Balotelli and Dzeko played for a much better team than Arsenal, hence more opportunities.

It's hardly like RVP has been slumming it for 8 years alongside the likes of Fabregas, Henry etc. They created a fair few chances.

Balotelli scored 19 in 40, RVP scored 37 in 48, not sure that is similar. Balotelli had a 5 month spell when Tevez was playing golf so certainly had enough playing time to convince.

What I meant by similar strike rates is that he's got 19 in 40 for City, RVP has 96 in 194 for Arsenal.

I think it highly unlikely RVP will ever score like he did last season again.

For me this is a Berbatov. Overpaying for a player who is only going to get worse. Time will tell.

is this forum not for city matters :/ i couldnt give a **** about united or rvp

No. It isn't. It's a FOOTBALL chat forum. For someone who couldn't give a Castlemaine four x about Utd or RVP, you took the time to enter the thread and post on it. As someone else said... Don't like it? Don't read it. Simples.

As for the deal - I think this is an excellent purchase for Utd. When you compare this deal against £35m for Carroll and £50m for Torres, and the liklihood is that if he stays fit, then this season is likely to be when he really hits his prime, then the £24m outlay is a great deal for Utd, Arsenal and RvP.

I think great deal for Man u. RVP is a great player not as good as Aguero or Tevez but that's just my opinion. Dont think Man City are gonna stick with what they got so fancy them to buy a big name before the end of the transfer window. I think Arsenal will cope without him and stick fancy them to finish top 4.

1. Man City

2. Man U

3. Chelsea

4. Arsenal

5. Liverpool

6 Spurs

Don't worry the deal is off !

Just been reported that RVP faled his medical.

Apparently he has a mystery back complaint, his Dr confirmed that this was caused by carrying the rest of the Arsenal team for the last 4 years . . . ..

12 months, perhaps.

4 years, no way.

It's hardly like RVP has been slumming it for 8 years alongside the likes of Fabregas, Henry etc. They created a fair few chances.

What I meant by similar strike rates is that he's got 19 in 40 for City, RVP has 96 in 194 for Arsenal.

I think it highly unlikely RVP will ever score like he did last season again.

For me this is a Berbatov. Overpaying for a player who is only going to get worse. Time will tell.

Albeit with a slightly difference class of player, each year for the last few years I have thought that Messi and Ronaldo would not beat the previous season's performances. You just never know.

As previously noted, I think the key to whether this proves good value for United or for Arsenal is Van Persie's own fitness: last season he was ever present, compared to 40ish games combined in the previous 2 seasons.

Albeit with a slightly difference class of player, each year for the last few years I have thought that Messi and Ronaldo would not beat the previous season's performances. You just never know.

Messi and Ronaldo were younger though. It's a generalisation admittedly but players tend to improve up to 25/26, then plateau, then start to decline at about 30. The degrees vary obviously but strikers don't get better at RVPs age very often, and when they do it's because they change their game as rarities like Scholes and Sheringham did. That's why paying £24m and £200k a week for a 29 yr old is poor value IMO, a lesson I thought Fergie said he'd learned from Berbatov.

I reckon Messi will be an exception because so much of his game is technique and skill, but Ronaldo will decline fast as his pace drops.

Messi and Ronaldo were younger though. It's a generalisation admittedly but players tend to improve up to 25/26, then plateau, then start to decline at about 30. The degrees vary obviously but strikers don't get better at RVPs age very often, and when they do it's because they change their game as rarities like Scholes and Sheringham did. That's why paying £24m and £200k a week for a 29 yr old is poor value IMO, a lesson I thought Fergie said he'd learned from Berbatov.

I reckon Messi will be an exception because so much of his game is technique and skill, but Ronaldo will decline fast as his pace drops.

I think RvP and Berbatov are completely different characters with completely different work ethics. The thing that Scholes and Sheringham had in common when it came to changing their games was Fergie. I would say that RvP would be far more adaptable than Berbatov, and if Fergie can work with him the way he worked with S&S then RvP could be an exceptional talent for a few years to come. Provided of course - as many others have said - he keeps his fitness.

To be honest, I tend to agree with you on the value front, on the basis that there is no resale potential for van Persie.

It may pay-off for them with titles or the European Cups in the next couple of years, but just as possible that it ends up good business for Arsenal similar to offloading Overmars.

I think RvP and Berbatov are completely different characters with completely different work ethics. The thing that Scholes and Sheringham had in common when it came to changing their games was Fergie. I would say that RvP would be far more adaptable than Berbatov, and if Fergie can work with him the way he worked with S&S then RvP could be an exceptional talent for a few years to come. Provided of course - as many others have said - he keeps his fitness.

I agree, but I'd say RVPs game is more likely to deteriorate as it was more based on pace and power. Berbatov is a more technical player and I think those types of players age better.

I don't think Fergie helped those players make the switch in styles so much by directly working with them, but more by giving them the opportunity. It will be interesting to see what happens.

• Admin

Well, there was one player on the pitch tonight who looked like he was worth £24m. It wasn't the one Fergie bought though.

Nor the winger he played at full back or the midfielder at centre half. Dementia thoroughly set in now?

It was just like watching City......... Where was a goal coming from?

Well, there was one player on the pitch tonight who looked like he was worth £24m. It wasn't the one Fergie bought though.

Nor the winger he played at full back or the midfielder at centre half. Dementia thoroughly set in now?

Carrick at centre half was needs must, I agree about Valencia though.

Fellaini is an absolute beast of a player, must be an absolute nightmare to play against. Does make you wonder why United spent £24m on a striker when they've needed a midfielder of his type for about 4 years though.

Or an injury crisis... didnt have a lot of choice at the back. It was Carrick or Scott Wootton...

Archived