IGNORED

You Can Get A Pint In The Williams Now

westonred

Not looking down my nose at anyone - a balanced viewpoint to the booze culture that pervades football. Also, a perspective from someone who was directly affected by the consequences of booze culture (violence and abuse). I do enjoy a pint - but I do not use alcohol as an excuse to impact and impinge on others.

Historically football was a working mans game, where at the end of the week a man could go and watch the footy with his mates, have a few beers and a laugh, sing a few songs without the worry or thought of being nagged at. Football has changed, but please don't accuse blokes (or ladies) that enjoy a few beers before a game of pervading football when actually the opposite is more true. I wouldn't want the football experience to become a place where I have to overly watch my language, not have had a beer or two, not have banter with opposing fans, just to appease some that may prefer their football experience to be something it never has been.

If you've been the victim of violence/abuse because of alcohol then I'm sorry to hear that, but to think that blokes who enjoy a few beers at football is the cause is very shortsighted and unbalanced.

Historically football was a working mans game, where at the end of the week a man could go and watch the footy with his mates, have a few beers and a laugh, sing a few songs without the worry or thought of being nagged at. Football has changed, but please don't accuse blokes (or ladies) that enjoy a few beers before a game of pervading football when actually the opposite is more true. I wouldn't want the football experience to become a place where I have to overly watch my language, not have had a beer or two, not have banter with opposing fans, just to appease some that may prefer their football experience to be something it never has been.

If you've been the victim of violence/abuse because of alcohol then I'm sorry to hear that, but to think that blokes who enjoy a few beers at football is the cause is very shortsighted and unbalanced.

I couldn't have put that better well said

I accept the unbalanced accusation and apologise.

However, there are those who feel they have the right (especially, after alcohol has been consumed) to be physically and verbally abusive (which they conveniently defend by claiming it is banter - when genuine banter contains a line of respect).

I accept the unbalanced accusation and apologise.

However, there are those who feel they have the right (especially, after alcohol has been consumed) to be physically and verbally abusive (which they conveniently defend by claiming it is banter - when genuine banter contains a line of respect).

What if you are only verbally abusive, and not phyiscal?

Archived