IGNORED

Elliot

redlandrebel

I'm bound to be shot down, but this a forum for expressing opinions.....

Does anyone feel that bringing him on as a sub was just unnecessary? I acknowledge his commitment, his loyalty and effort. I just don't think he's good enough any more. The standard of the squad has improved and he's been left behind. At 27 he should be in his prime and he's fit enough but his touch is too heavy and I fail to see what he contributed. If we need a talisman, or even just someone to run the show in midfield then why not Morris (still to get a game) or even Kilkenny rather than Marve. Overall City played the best consistent football I've seen since the 2007/8 season, IMHO. They played as a team and everyone played their part. Perhaps the Albert was a bit questionable, Pearson inconsistent and I'm not sure about Wilson. For me though Elliot was the weakest link.

if you ask me he has always been quite "slow" like with reactions but he is a player who will put in the work rate and a few flying tackles, but not a lot of people are picking up on is how good skuse has been playing and when Skuse is playing this well Elliot is only good enough for the bench IMO.

Marvin was put on to put himself about a bit and to try stop Cardiff retaining the ball which they had begun doing. The mistake was to take off a striker but Del saw this quickly and brought Davies on.

He has a big part to play from the bench this season, much as I don't rate his ability to pass a ball etc, but he's handy to have.

There are 46 games we're going to need a strong squad if we are going to do anything at all. Elliott is a superb squad player I think he will give a massive contribution this year, maybe not starting every game but providing a bit of quality when called upon.

I may he biased, I think he's awesome good player. But I do realise he has a 50p head.

Playing against Elliot is a nightmare. He just breaks things up in midfield and makes an absolute nuisance of himself. A really useful club to have in the bag. He's not the most creative, his passing isn't great but he does pop up in the box and scores a few. His level of commitment is superb and he'll come in handy throughout the season.

Yeah it didn't quite work today and seemed a bit of a strange choice at the time, although you could see the idea that he'd strengthen the midfield. As it happens he seemed off the pace, picked up a slight knock and didn't really contribute anything much while he was on.

But Marv will still be very useful this season. The fact that he's gone from one of our best players to one of many very good players shows how much the squad has grown/improved over the past 9 months or so.

I must admit I thought it was the right substituion to make at the time as the situation was ideal for Marv to come on, get around the pitch, break up play and most importantly not give Whittingham any time on the ball. For some reason it didn't work and it appeared the whole mindset of the team changed and we began to sit back and invite pressure. Fair play to McInnes for realising this and bringing on another forward.

As for Marv, he may not be the definite starter he has been the whole time he has been at Ashton Gate, but I think it is clear that McInnes sees him as a valuable member of the squad and I would be surprised if he doesn't play a major part this season.

He has not played since February before now really. It will take time before he's back on his game. Give it a couple weeks to a month and I bet you he will be much sharper and a better player. It's the same with Michael essien at Chelsea. He's the same just now but they just need some game time week by week because they have been out for months. Marv will come good.

He has not played since February before now really. It will take time before he's back on his game. Give it a couple weeks to a month and I bet you he will be much sharper and a better player. It's the same with Michael essien at Chelsea. He's the same just now but they just need some game time week by week because they have been out for months. Marv will come good.

I believe his best years are behind him ala Maynard.but he is a quality sub to have (stroke club in the bag)

Elliott passed it? Perfectly possible.

He obviously isn't match fit, and minor convinced little cameos are going to improve his fitness

What was noticeable was how slow he was and he really struggled to get about. Wouldn't be suprised if Marvin is on the down in regards to his BCFC career. A class bloke though but he hasn't looked himself in recent games when coming on.

I just find it a bit tragic that off the back of the week we've had we still have to find fault with someone. Elliot is past it on the basis of yesterday's cameo? Nonsense.

I agree with Jordan Tansley (welcome back young man) and Bearded Red.

Agree and a welcome Dag? Blimey! Absence really does make the heart grow fonder! ;)

Marvin was put on to put himself about a bit and to try stop Cardiff retaining the ball which they had begun doing. The mistake was to take off a striker but Del saw this quickly and brought Davies on.

He has a big part to play from the bench this season, much as I don't rate his ability to pass a ball etc, but he's handy to have.

Spot on Tansley.

He is very handy to have and will be needed this season. Like everyone will.

We now have some serious depth to this squad, but more importantly the quality is there and could well be added to before the window closes.

Surely this has to be our strongest squad since we have been in the championship?

Spot on Tansley.

He is very handy to have and will be needed this season. Like everyone will.

We now have some serious depth to this squad, but more importantly the quality is there and could well be added to before the window closes.

Surely this has to be our strongest squad since we have been in the championship?

I'd say so, although the Sno, Hartley, Maynard, Soborio squad might, on paper, have shaded it.

However, this squad all have age on their side and will almost certainly continue to improve with time.

Derek has really put together some brilliant foundations here.

My concern with Elliott is he doesn't it in with our style of play any more. We look a bit quicker and slicker this season, and Marv is slow and at times clumsy. Don't get me wrong, but yesterday's decision to bring him on nearly cost us the game.

We're not good enough to shut up shop....our best form of defence is to attack. Press high up the pitch and not sit back.

I'd prefer Cisse to Elliott....all round better player

My concern with Elliott is he doesn't it in with our style of play any more. We look a bit quicker and slicker this season, and Marv is slow and at times clumsy. Don't get me wrong, but yesterday's decision to bring him on nearly cost us the game.

We're not good enough to shut up shop....our best form of defence is to attack. Press high up the pitch and not sit back.

I'd prefer Cisse to Elliott....all round better player

But I'd say that Marvin's biggest strength is just that... Pressing the ball and hassling teams high up the pitch. He is a destroyer when on song.

He's had a long lay off last season and will undoubtedly be a bit rusty and I definitely don't see him as a starter, but he will be useful in those situations, the problem was we sacrificed our shape when he came on for Taylor.

The guy's been out for a very long period of time - of course he's still not full fit, or completely up to speed with the way the team are playing. The rest of the team had several months at the end of last season to start getting it together, whereas he's starting almost from scratch.

You don't just lose it as a player - he's still only 27 and has a lot to offer this season. Skuse and Pearson are bound to get injured or suspended and he'll have to step up and cover.

But I'd say that Marvin's biggest strength is just that... Pressing the ball and hassling teams high up the pitch. He is a destroyer when on song.

He's had a long lay off last season and will undoubtedly be a bit rusty and I definitely don't see him as a starter, but he will be useful in those situations, the problem was we sacrificed our shape when he came on for Taylor.

Point taken. Totally agree with the sub to....same thing happened against Palace. We tried to shut up shop and a Heton wonder save stopped it being made 3-2.

I don't get why we try to shut up shop when we not need to

I'd say so, although the Sno, Hartley, Maynard, Soborio squad might, on paper, have shaded it.

However, this squad all have age on their side and will almost certainly continue to improve with time.

Derek has really put together some brilliant foundations here.

Possibly yeah. It's our front line that really impresses me. We really have some serious quality up top now and its exciting times!

I was very impressed with the ginger drogba yesterday! :)

Palace's main threat at that point was coming from corners, having taken Jon Stead off we needed to reinforce the aerial side to our team.. And as others have said did well to break up play, get at Whittingham .etc. Fantastic sub to be able to bring on at this level to protect a lead, just hope he doesn't get too frustrated at being benched

The guy's been out for a very long period of time - of course he's still not full fit, or completely up to speed with the way the team are playing. The rest of the team had several months at the end of last season to start getting it together, whereas he's starting almost from scratch.

You don't just lose it as a player - he's still only 27 and has a lot to offer this season. Skuse and Pearson are bound to get injured or suspended and he'll have to step up and cover.

Totally agree mate. There are one or two on here with short memories. Marv has never ever let us down and has at least 4 or 5 years left in him at this level. He's also plenty better than Cisse IMO.

I see MArv is the vocal point of the boo boys this season then...........pathetic

Oh pipe down....he's hardly being picked on by the "boo boys" as you put it.

My personal opinion is, the style McInnes is starting to bring to the table....won't suit Elliott. Time will tell....I hope I'm wrong

Archived