IGNORED

Elliot

redlandrebel

My personal opinion is, the style McInnes is starting to bring to the table....won't suit Elliott. Time will tell....I hope I'm wrong

You're not wrong.

Elliot doesn't have the natural ability to become the type of passing midfielder that McInnes wants. Elliot's game is all about hurly burly, getting stuck in and breaking up play but he needs more than that if he wants to get a starting spot. Technically he's way behind the likes of Woolford, Pearson and Skuse.

I think some fans have short memories - Marv is a very useful player to have around and his time at City isn't finished by any stretch. We all know his weaknesses but there will be games where we need his energy and ability to break up play. He's the best midfielder at the club in terms of breaking up the ball and stopping teams dictating play (imo) and his desire, workrate and goal threat are important, even if he may not be a guaranteed starter anymore.

You're not wrong.

Elliot doesn't have the natural ability to become the type of passing midfielder that McInnes wants. Elliot's game is all about hurly burly, getting stuck in and breaking up play but he needs more than that if he wants to get a starting spot. Technically he's way behind the likes of Woolford, Pearson and Skuse.

I agree with you....wow.

Under Johnson, he was excellent, but Johnson was all about 100% effort, blood and guts. McInnes is evolving us, and like you said....is trying to introduce a new style of football that we are used to.

His signings have proved it....look at the difference in Cunningham and Mcgivern....Jesus.

I like Marv, and I still think he is a Championship midfielder.....but sometimes, certain players don't fit in a certain team.

Point taken. Totally agree with the sub to....same thing happened against Palace. We tried to shut up shop and a Heton wonder save stopped it being made 3-2.

I don't get why we try to shut up shop when we not need to

I think it's pragmatism on the part of McInnes, Every team will have a period of dominance in the game and at the point Marvin was brought on Wittingham was seeing an awful lot of the ball and it was probably this that caused McInnes to react. In hindsight he should have replaced Adomah instead of Taylor, because we lost our out-ball... But that was rectified as soon as we conceded with Davies.

I think some fans have short memories - Marv is a very useful player to have around and his time at City isn't finished by any stretch. We all know his weaknesses but there will be games where we need his energy and ability to break up play. He's the best midfielder at the club in terms of breaking up the ball and stopping teams dictating play (imo) and his desire, workrate and goal threat are important, even if he may not be a guaranteed starter anymore.

I'm not saying Elliot is finished at City just yet but assuming everyone stays fit I can't see him getting a starting spot with the competition in the midfield being so tough.

The best he can hope for is a place on the bench week in week out.

I'm as optimistic as anyone else after the last two matches and I am very pleased with the performance of the two lads in midfield

BUT - I think stories of Marvin's decline may be slightly premature - when our backs are against the wall (which at some stage this season I am sure they will be) Marvin remains the rock we can rely on most.

As for the standard of his cameo performances - how can anyone judge him given that he has not played a competitive game for more than six months. I am sure DMc is using the opportunities that arise to build his match-fitness ready for when we need him, at least as much has bringing him on to secure the points. Also - don't forget, however bad the performance in the League Cup - Marvin came on, scored our first goal of the season and seconds later he was seen putting his body on the line (as he has always done for us) in the middle of our defence.

It is a luxury we should all appreciate to have Marvin on the bench - hungry to come on and wreck the opponent's midfield when needed

I'm bound to be shot down, but this a forum for expressing opinions.....

Does anyone feel that bringing him on as a sub was just unnecessary? I acknowledge his commitment, his loyalty and effort. I just don't think he's good enough any more. The standard of the squad has improved and he's been left behind. At 27 he should be in his prime and he's fit enough but his touch is too heavy and I fail to see what he contributed. If we need a talisman, or even just someone to run the show in midfield then why not Morris (still to get a game) or even Kilkenny rather than Marve. Overall City played the best consistent football I've seen since the 2007/8 season, IMHO. They played as a team and everyone played their part. Perhaps the Albert was a bit questionable, Pearson inconsistent and I'm not sure about Wilson. For me though Elliot was the weakest link.

I thought it was the right substitution, just to early, still had 20 mins left. Elliott is coming back from a snapped achilles. It will take a while for him to come back 100%. Still a great player to come off the bench when we are winning and looking to pack the midfield!

Archived