IGNORED

James Wilson-Time To Shine

marcofisher

Anyone else feel we do not need to get Amougou or Monk?

For one I feel Amougou is not worth the wages we will probably have to pay for him aswell as the fact he is known to have behaviour problems, seems pointless as with his wages we will only likely sign him on a years deal!

Gary Monk just seems too old for me, just returned from injury and that will just mean we're rotating him with Carey? Could easily see him flipping and not being up to standard in this league aswell!

I feel this season is the time to give James Wilson his chance, and show he is the player to step into the lineup next season when Carey is gone! James Wilson undoubtably has some talent and has shown it in many matches when we did play him, the highlight for me was the Middlesborough home match and even though we lost 1-0 to a free kick he gave away, he was outstanding and the free kick would've only been scored every one out of twenty times! Whenever I have watched him in the past he has always been solid in the air, perhaps not the paceist but he is young and has time to work on his game and I'm sure has been in the last few years he's been in the first team!

At 23, a very young age for a defender I feel this is his chance to be given a proper chance to shine in the squad! Many people may moan "Well he's only 6 months younger than Nyatanga and Nyantanga is in the welsh squad." This is only because Nyatanga was introduced to first team football at a much younger age for Derby, James Wilson has not been given the chance that Nyatanga has, and I feel that he is twice the quality of Nyatanga

Thoughts?

Why do people still go on like James Wilson is fresh out of the youth team? He's 23 and has done nothing in his career of date, neither has he shown any real sign of being capable of becoming a good championship defender. Wilson and Fontaine would really worry me, need much better quality to partner Fontaine.

He's back-up and that will be that until he leaves.

For one I feel Amougou is not worth the wages we will probably have to pay for him aswell as the fact he is known to have behaviour problems, seems pointless as with his wages we will only likely sign him on a years deal!

Gary Monk just seems too old for me, just returned from injury and that will just mean we're rotating him with Carey? Could easily see him flipping and not being up to standard in this league aswell!

I feel this season is the time to give James Wilson his chance, and show he is the player to step into the lineup next season when Carey is gone! James Wilson undoubtably has some talent and has shown it in many matches when we did play him, the highlight for me was the Middlesborough home match and even though we lost 1-0 to a free kick he gave away, he was outstanding and the free kick would've only been scored every one out of twenty times! Whenever I have watched him in the past he has always been solid in the air, perhaps not the paceist but he is young and has time to work on his game and I'm sure has been in the last few years he's been in the first team!

At 23, a very young age for a defender I feel this is his chance to be given a proper chance to shine in the squad! Many people may moan "Well he's only 6 months younger than Nyatanga and Nyantanga is in the welsh squad." This is only because Nyatanga was introduced to first team football at a much younger age for Derby, James Wilson has not been given the chance that Nyatanga has, and I feel that he is twice the quality of Nyatanga

Thoughts?

By "known" I think you mean "rumoured". Never seen any substance to this. Amougou was a very good player for Reading at this level and for us last season, he's 27/28 and available on a free. I'd happily sign him if he gets fit. He's exactly what we're after. Strong, fairly quick, experienced, likes to play the ball, right footed, not bad in the air either. What's not to like?

Monk is 33 and an experienced leader who wins in the air nearly all the time by all accounts. I wouldn't want to pay a big fee for him but a small fee and a two year deal would be ok, or a loan.

Wilson is either good enough or he isn't and the truth is none of us know. I agree he needs first team football to improve, in fact he needed it three years ago, but he hasn't exactly shone on loan (or we'd have had offers) and successive managers here have overlooked him. Why? I don't know, I don't watch him train. Honestly, I think it's too late for him now and we should help him find a new club where he can play a lot.

We should also look to sell/loan out Nyatanga and Stewart ASAP. If we can do that maybe Wilson will be getting game time off the bench.

Why do people still go on like James Wilson is fresh out of the youth team? He's 23 and has done nothing in his career of date, neither has he shown any real sign of being capable of becoming a good championship defender. Wilson and Fontaine would really worry me, need much better quality to partner Fontaine.

23 is fairly young for a defender, not usually for other positions but Defenders peak towards there 30s as it is not as much About pace more about intelligence, like we see in Carey.

Hang on, didn't you say it was bad that we let Yannick go because he was young?! They're the same age

Thoughts?

Did you watch Amougou play last season.I thought he was outstanding.As to his reported behavioural problems that's why we have a Manager.If we can come to some sensible pay deal .We should do all we can to get him.As for Wilson, I too hoped he would start to develop but surely he should be showing up by now in training that he is worth the call up.I presume he is not doing this and with the problems we had with our defence last year we cannot let someone learn his trade in league games.. As for Monk sounds a quality player and experienced which is important at this level but wish he was bigger. Overall I hope we get Amougou but doubt we will. But if it's Monk then as they say in Del we trust.

I think he deserves a chance. Would much rather see him alongside Fonts than Nyatanga that's for sure. If we don't sign a centre half by the end of the month i won't be too disappointed. Carey with Wilson as cover should be enough for us - especially with the amount we're scoring at the other end at the moment.

Pretty sure he was dropped after his absolute mare against Leeds?

That was indeed an awful match, but I do remember Del saying he was going to use him in matches for the rest of the season when he got inured, and that it was a big loss, so clearly didn't judge him on the one bad performance.

He's rash in his tackles, he's slow and he's rather weak. What I do think he has on his side is his ability to win headers.

From what I've seen he's always been very strong in the tackle aswell as in the air, a bit rash sometime yes but always can be worked on at his age.

Plus Woolford was atrocious last season and has been good this few games after being given a clean slate, feel Wilson should have this Oppurtunity too!

Wilson made too many mistakes last season. He isn't ready and IMO not good enough yet at this level.

he had one bad game against Leeds he had some very good games if i remember correctly Leicester and Southampton away to name but two i suggest those who cant remember go back and read the match reports and the comments on here from the games he played and for those who are suggesting he is slow you clearly have not seen him play

I recon Wilson's ability was over-hyped by the links to Everton. I think this made fans appreciate the fact that he could interest a premier league club, without really seeing a consistant string of performances.

Tbf, if he does start a few games this year and keeps his place, fair play to him, but I believe he's overrated.

Wilson's progress and development has been severely hampered by injury problems. Then when he returned, he did so to a team that was bereft of confidence and with a defence so fragile that conceding a goal usually meant capitulation. Experienced players who we would expect to help him bed were themselves struggling to find any sort of form and the whole defence was fragile.

I saw him at Leicester last season after our dreadful start to the season and when gerken came in to replace James.We were up against a strong attacking Leicester side with a premier league striker in Nugent. Wilson played superbly that night and although we had the odd wobble ( not unexpected given our recent form) he did not look out of place.

I think he now at an age where he has to prove his ability once and for all, and perhaps now we seem to have a team brimming with confidence, it might be the right time to play him along side Fonts when Carey needs a rest. If he rises to the task then he can make the position his own. If not, then it might be time for him to move on.

I like the look of Wilson and hope he gets some more chances this season but we still need another defender in desperately. Amougou or Monk would do just the job and we'd finally have a proper squad with real competition for places all over the pitch

Wilson's progress and development has been severely hampered by injury problems. Then when he returned, he did so to a team that was bereft of confidence and with a defence so fragile that conceding a goal usually meant capitulation. Experienced players who we would expect to help him bed were themselves struggling to find any sort of form and the whole defence was fragile.

I saw him at Leicester last season after our dreadful start to the season and when gerken came in to replace James.We were up against a strong attacking Leicester side with a premier league striker in Nugent. Wilson played superbly that night and although we had the odd wobble ( not unexpected given our recent form) he did not look out of place.

I think he now at an age where he has to prove his ability once and for all, and perhaps now we seem to have a team brimming with confidence, it might be the right time to play him along side Fonts when Carey needs a rest. If he rises to the task then he can make the position his own. If not, then it might be time for him to move on.

I agree with this but it will be difficult for him to get games when Monk comes on board this week I doubt he will make the bench would be best for all concerned if the club did the decent thing and let the lad move on for the sake of his future and also take a few quide of the wage bill from a player that will never get a game

It said that you can only get better by playing with better players. Sending him out on loan will do him no good. He needs to learn his game alongside monk and fontaine as a sub and in a couple of years, look to take over from fontaine. In the mean time, we need to get nyatanga and stewart off the books

Archived