IGNORED

Interesting Read - Out Of Contract Players.

Robbored

Buzsaky is o/o/c? We should sign him.....!

I don't get the Clarke Carlisle love in right now, he's on everything, but I find him incredibly hard to listen to and to like. I'm sure if a career in the media is what is in his future then I'll get used to him, but right now.....hard work! Listened to Jason Roberts for the first time the other week too -same for him!

Anyway, back on topic - I can't feel sorry for the bloke. If he was offered 80 to 90% less than what he was on, but wanted to keep playing then he should've taken it. Pretty pointless messing around clubs down the leagues who haven't got a pot to piss in right now

Surely not Saint Basso the great keeper who went on to bigger and better things in the Premier League and ended up making just 13 championship starts in the past 2 years, OMG.

One of the most over-rated players on here

Out of that mini list the only one I'd consider is reo-coker

One of the most over-rated players on here

Out of that mini list the only one I'd consider is reo-coker

What about Hargeaves?

Personally i dont think we are necessarily desperate for a centre midfielder with the number of players we have to cover that position already, i'd prefer a centre-back, but Giles Barnes would be a class signing on a free if we could keep him fit!

Well that's one more than me mate, mostly overrated millionaire footballers whose game to pay ratio is beyond belief.

It would only be if Albert was sold and then it would still be a last resort

Hargreaves he hasn't kicked a ball in anger in about 5 years so no

I spotted that article, too, Robbo. Some interesting names on that list.

Maybe times are finally changing and football is catching up with the reality of the economic problems confronting the rest of the world. I don't know anything about his current situation, but Basso has form when it comes to making unrealistic demands. I wonder how many more on that list are still good enough to do a job, but have either priced themselves out of the market or kept their options open so long that they've missed the boat altogether? Maybe a lesson learned there that some would do well to heed. And quite useful in a way that it has happened to Carlisle, whom I have nothing against, but who is articulate and well known enough to have had his current experience made public. Let's hope others are taking note.

What a rubbish article. Carlisle was greedy and is now regretting it - boo hoo.

Plus, 7 of those 10 players on the list should retire. Either injury prone or far too old to play anything above League One.

People say that it is a short career but even a player in League One is probably on £70k per year. If one earns that over a career then thats near £1million. Sensible investment, not too lavish a lifestyle etc will mean that the player retires mid thirties and never has to work again.

But then again people make strange decisions. I know of two players who were tagged as 'the next big thing' but seem to prefer working on a building site, playing for good local teams and drinking at the pub every night.

Plus, 7 of those 10 players on the list should retire. Either injury prone or far too old to play anything above League One.

People say that it is a short career but even a player in League One is probably on £70k per year. If one earns that over a career then thats near £1million. Sensible investment, not too lavish a lifestyle etc will mean that the player retires mid thirties and never has to work again.

But then again people make strange decisions. I know of two players who were tagged as 'the next big thing' but seem to prefer working on a building site, playing for good local teams and drinking at the pub every night.

I doubt league one players are on that much money maybe 52k a year, there is a wage limit in that league

40% tax plus a house and that has near enough gone straight away

Im pretty sure Jimmy Bullard, Herita Illunga, Stephen Quinn etc. are all on more than £1000 a week

bullard is on a short term deal I doub he's on much more then 1.5k a week due to his injury record

Illunga is at donnie who were paying the likes of el hadj scum 2k a week while they were in the shop window I would hazard a guess he would be running the same iptions but at a smaller wage donnie are after all a well run club who don't lose that much a year

Quinn will still be on championship wages as he was relegated with United,

Carlise states he was offered a 90% pay cut to sign with 1 or 2 clubs and turned it down now he regrets it,

With all the FFP coming in millionaire footballers outside the top flight will become a rare thing,

My mate Plays for Daganham and Redbridge I'm on more money then him and he's played at wembely

I have just looked at the big list and few names jumped out at me not as signings but just surprising to see them there as they have a few years left in them yet.

Justin Hoyte was supposedly the next big thing when at Arsenal and is still only 27.

Nigel Reo-Coker

Roman Bednar

James McFadden

And a lad called Josh Parker, who I saw playing against our youth team for QPR about 3/4 years ago.He was a star performer and scored a great goal - Iwonder what goes wrong with people like that.

I also noticed some players with City links other than Basso.

David Cotterill

Calvin Andrew

Steve Collis

Sean Davis

and not surprisingly Patrick Agyemang!

Quite how some of the older players like Hreidaersson (38!) or David James can claim to be out of contract rather than retired I am not sure.

I have just looked at the big list and few names jumped out at me not as signings but just surprising to see them there as they have a few years left in them yet.

Justin Hoyte was supposedly the next big thing when at Arsenal and is still only 27.

Nigel Reo-Coker

Roman Bednar

James McFadden

And a lad called Josh Parker, who I saw playing against our youth team for QPR about 3/4 years ago.He was a star performer and scored a great goal - Iwonder what goes wrong with people like that.

I also noticed some players with City links other than Basso.

David Cotterill

Calvin Andrew

Steve Collis

Sean Davis

and not surprisingly Patrick Agyemang!

Quite how some of the older players like Hreidaersson (38!) or David James can claim to be out of contract rather than retired I am not sure.

That list is out of date because Cotterill has signed for Doncaster. He scored a cracker at Walsall the other week.

Archived