IGNORED

Can Owen Make A Real Difference?

fishy

Just seen that Michael Owen has gone to Stoke. Admittedly he has lost his pace which was a big part of his game, but he's still a quality finisher, question is if you were a prem manager would you sign him taking into consideration injuries? Just curious what other people think. Basically I was thinking that if I was a team like Portsmouth could you realistically put a team together of completely free signings.

Just seen that Michael Owen has gone to Stoke. Admittedly he has lost his pace which was a big part of his game, but he's still a quality finisher, question is if you were a prem manager would you sign him taking into consideration injuries? Just curious what other people think. Basically I was thinking that if I was a team like Portsmouth could you realistically put a team together of completely free signings.

If its a pay-as-you-play type deal then not much risk at all. As you say, he is still a quality finisher and I think he'll do well at Stoke getting on the end of flick-ons and anything else that falls in the box.

He is definitely different to anything else they have - under 6 foot for a start.

You couldn't rely on a team of Michael Owens though.

Owen isn't interested in football these days.His love is horse racing and his private stables. No doubt he'll laugh all the way to the bank when he's laid up with a torn hamstring (again) for 6 months. The sooner he gets injured the better for him and he can spent his time at the races.

Stoke must nuts unless its a pay as you play deal.

Owen's a quality player and a consummate professional. He's got no reason to pursue a career in football other than the enjoyment of playing games, since he's already very wealthy and is unlikely to achieve any more silverware. With no transfer fee and presumably a heavily performance based wage it's a very good gamble.

Pulis wouldn't of broken the wage structure at Stoke. As its a one year deal it's not a big gamble - he may have lost his pace but he's a natural finisher. Stoke might actually start a shift in the style of play - with the likes of Nzogi, Adam and Owen they may play less direct. Having said that, Crouch knocking down goals for Owen isn't a bad thought.. look how many he used to knock down for Van de Vart at spurs?

Owen isn't interested in football these days.

Owen's a quality player and a consummate professional. He's got no reason to pursue a career in football other than the enjoyment of playing games, since he's already very wealthy and is unlikely to achieve any more silverware. With no transfer fee and presumably a heavily performance based wage it's a very good gamble.

I'm glad to see some people can still post sensible replies about a former national hero and it ain't the first quote!

It's must a shame that you can't have two occupations, or at least an occupation and a hobby.

If its pay as you play, he will be a good signing for them. His goals to games for Man U was really good. It's just as others say don't think his heart is in it anymore.

Can't believe their fans on the radio on 606 Saturday saying that Pulis is no longer the man for them. I know he is a dick, but they ought to be greatfull to him getting them there and keeping them up.

Got there before I did. I must admit I do enjoy this line that keeps getting trotted out by the ignorant that 'Owen isn't interested in football'. If that was the case he wouldn't have spent the summer training by himself and putting himself in the embarrassing postion that is sending his name around clubs in order to try and prolong his career by a few seasons. For me it says something for the enthusiasm he has for the game that after all of his injury setbacks he doesn't just sit back and enjoy the millions he has made.

More than a worthwhile gamble for Stoke and even if they manage to only get 20/25 games out of him this season he will more than likely show his quality in my opinion. In the League Cup games he has played for United over the last few seasons he has shown that he is still second to none in front of goal. Sure these games have mainly been played against lower opposition, but that doesn't change the fact that if he has the ball in front of goal it will more than likely end up in the back of the net.

Got there before I did. I must admit I do enjoy this line that keeps getting trotted out by the ignorant that 'Owen isn't interested in football'. If that was the case he wouldn't have spent the summer training by himself and putting himself in the embarrassing postion that is sending his name around clubs in order to try and prolong his career by a few seasons. For me it says something for the enthusiasm he has for the game that after all of his injury setbacks he doesn't just sit back and enjoy the millions he has made.

More than a worthwhile gamble for Stoke and even if they manage to only get 20/25 games out of him this season he will more than likely show his quality in my opinion. In the League Cup games he has played for United over the last few seasons he has shown that he is still second to none in front of goal. Sure these games have mainly been played against lower opposition, but that doesn't change the fact that if he has the ball in front of goal it will more than likely end up in the back of the net.

Didn't he also score a hat-trick in a Champs League game from one of his few starts? Away against some German team if I recall, but can't remember who. Can't understand the criticism of the guy. He's obviously not as good as he was before his big injury problems, but still clearly wants to be playing football and can score goals if given the service. I hope he proves people wrong. Just a shame he'll be playing under 'that manager'.

Didn't he also score a hat-trick in a Champs League game from one of his few starts? Away against some German team if I recall, but can't remember who. Can't understand the criticism of the guy. He's obviously not as good as he was before his big injury problems, but still clearly wants to be playing football and can score goals if given the service. I hope he proves people wrong. Just a shame he'll be playing under 'that manager'.

Yeah I must say I'm struggling with that. On one hand I want him to avoid injuries and start banging them in on a regular basis, on the other I want Stoke and particularly Pulis to lose every game they play!

Lost my respect when he said he wouldn't want to play in the Championship due to the calibre of the clubs he's played for previously, i mean STOKE, it's hardly Manchester United or Real Madrid is it...

Not exactly bristol city or Barnsley either is it!

No but it is a league which has had players such as Nuno Gomes, David James, Kevin Philips, Kevin Nolan and Craig Bellamy grace it in the past couple of years, hardly the pits is it?

It is when you have never played in it. He has no need to drop to a lower level. He said he would retire if he couldn't play at the top level.

That list you have given, I think all of them started at a lower level and worked up. Nolan I may query, as I am not sure if he was playing for Bolton before they were promoted.

So bar Nolan all started at a lower level.

I understand Owen wanting a career that has been purely top flight teams. He has nothing to prove by dropping a division, and doesn't need to. He certainly doesn't need to drop through the divisions as some have chosen to do.

Edit Nolan did start at a lower level with Bolton.

It is when you have never played in it. He has no need to drop to a lower level. He said he would retire if he couldn't play at the top level.

That list you have given, I think all of them started at a lower level and worked up. Nolan I may query, as I am not sure if he was playing for Bolton before they were promoted.

So bar Nolan all started at a lower level.

I understand Owen wanting a career that has been purely top flight teams. He has nothing to prove by dropping a division, and doesn't need to. He certainly doesn't need to drop through the divisions as some have chosen to do.

Edit Nolan did start at a lower level with Bolton.

Nuno Gomes played in the Portuguese top flight all his career bar a short spell at Fiorentina in Serie A, and only stopped playing international football for Portugal last year aswell as finishing playing for Benfica in the same year, granted it's a little different as he probably just wants to try his hand in a different country, but i think Owen will play a few games and then be sat earning a fair whack for doing nothing because as stated before, pay as you play it's not exactly that, but any money Stoke waste is fine with me, i can't stand them.

Nuno Gomes played in the Portuguese top flight all his career bar a short spell at Fiorentina in Serie A, and only stopped playing international football for Portugal last year aswell as finishing playing for Benfica in the same year, granted it's a little different as he probably just wants to try his hand in a different country, but i think Owen will play a few games and then be sat earning a fair whack for doing nothing because as stated before, pay as you play it's not exactly that, but any money Stoke waste is fine with me, i can't stand them.

Yeah I know Gomes did, started of as a youngster at boavista. Sorry I should have said I was only looking at the British players.

I think Gomes has been bought in as a bit of a father figure for the Portuguese revaluation there. Maybe there is some sort of coaching/management carrot being dangled there somewhere?

Personally I think Owen should retire. I don't mind stoke, great supporters. Cannot stand the manager mind :)

Was a quality player but not now. Too many distractions outside of football including his own racing stables in which he's invested many of his millions. He's also a major property owner. I saw a very interesting documentary a couple of years ago when on hols in Egypt made in English but with Arabic sub titles about Owen and his lifestyle outside of football. It was fascinating and a real insight.

He's signed for Stoke to earn his last serious wedge from football. He knows this will be his last contract and no-one can blame him for making the most of his fading talent. With his dodgy hamstrings and knee I doubt he'll play more than 15 games a season.

Yeah I know Gomes did, started of as a youngster at boavista. Sorry I should have said I was only looking at the British players.

I think Gomes has been bought in as a bit of a father figure for the Portuguese revaluation there. Maybe there is some sort of coaching/management carrot being dangled there somewhere?

Personally I think Owen should retire. I don't mind stoke, great supporters. Cannot stand the manager mind :)

One of my close friends is a Bristolian STOKE fan, and constantly mocks us, so you'll have to forgive the fact i've decided to dislike them (and their manager) more than any side!

One of my close friends is a Bristolian STOKE fan, and constantly mocks us, so you'll have to forgive the fact i've decided to dislike them (and their manager) more than any side!

:) I have a irrational hatred for every team David Kelly played for.

Archived