IGNORED

You'll Never Walk Alone

Blagdon red

I know it's an emotive subject so I did question posting this but then thought its a free society and I have an opinion.

While I understand there friends and family's grief I'm not sure why we are involving ourselves in there grief, it has nothing to do with us. It's like someone turning up at a strangers funeral. For me this should be a deeply private thing that these friends and family's need to deal with in there own ways. The only thing playing this song made me feel was embaresed.

Sorry if this offends anyone it wasn't my intention.

I know it's an emotive subject so I did question posting this but then thought its a free society and I have an opinion.

While I understand there friends and family's grief I'm not sure why we are involving ourselves in there grief, it has nothing to do with us. It's like someone turning up at a strangers funeral. For me this should be a deeply private thing that these friends and family's need to deal with in there own ways. The only thing playing this song made me feel was embaresed.

That is my feeling as well. It is a purely personal thing, this is not commemorating anything, just shoving fingers up at corruption that has hidden the truth. Seems a bit weird to me.

I wonder out of respect Everton will not play z cars next time they play at home?

Totally agree. I doubt Liverpool would play 'One for the Bristol City' if god forbid we had a tragedy of similar proportions.

That is my feeling as well. It is a purely personal thing, this is not commemorating anything, just shoving fingers up at corruption that has hidden the truth. Seems a bit weird to me.

I wonder out of respect Everton will not play z cars next time they play at home?

Everton have been "total" in there support for the Hillsborough family's. It's widely acknowledged that the whole of Liverpool pulled together as one.

The attack by the sun and the other corrupt authorities was an attack on all the people of that City.

Did you not see the amount of Everton fans that were at the Hillsborough vigil on Wednesday.

Personally my feelings are that what happened in 89 could have happened to any set of supporters at the time. These 96 were fellow football fans and that fact was acknowledged today by our club.

I'm proud that we did it.

Everton have been "total" in there support for the Hillsborough family's. It's widely acknowledged that the whole of Liverpool pulled together as one.

The attack by the sun and the other corrupt authorities was an attack on all the people of that City.

Dud you not see the amount of Everton fans that were at the Hillsborough vigil on Wednesday.

Personally my feelings are that what happened in 89 could have happened to any set of supporters at the time. These 96 were fellow football fans and that fact was acknowledged today by our club.

Did you not see the amount of Everton fans that were at the Hillsborough vigil on Wednesday.

Still no win for your boys Portland.. You must be devo ;)

I think you miss my point about Everton

I agree 100%. Those of us who were football fans in the 70s and 80s, and the 90s to a certain extent, had to put up with a lot of shit from the so-called authorities.

Hillsborough was a disaster waiting to happen, it could have happened at any ground, at any time. Just be thankful that it didn't happen at a game involving Bristol City.

Justice for the 96.

As someone born and bred in Liverpool, who grew up on the Kop, but somehow became a Bristol City fan, I am pleased to say that I think that Bristol City FC and its fans got it spot on yesterday. The playing of the Anfield anthem and the warm round of applause which followed was, I think, an appropriate acknowledgement of the official recognition of the truth about Hillsborough which belatedly emerged last week.

I first heard about the tragedy at half time whist stood in the Enclosure watching Bristol City take on whoever they were playing that day. At that time I was watching a lot of live football. I would be at every City home game and a fair portion of their away games, and when for whatever reason we could not watch City we would often seek out matches to attend as neutrals (Coventry, Exeter, Orient......). Had I been given the opportunity for an FA Cup Semi-Final ticket to see Liverpool, I would probably have forsaken City for the day and gone to Hillsborough. So I was very aware that it could have been me. But then again, this was 1989, all football fans were treated as criminals, and it could have been any one of us! Only a few months earlier, I had been in the away section at Walsall when the West Midlands police launched an attack (there is no other word for it) on the Bristol City fans. In the chaos people were falling and the hood of my coat was torn off. But we got lucky that day. And the state of the grounds! Does anyone remember the claustrophobic cage at Northampton that you could hardly see out of? Disgraceful.

The City fans were great on Saturday. They were great at the time too. A few days after the tragedy, on a lovely midweek evening, the Ashton Gate fans impeccably observed a minute's silence. Then, as I remember, spearheaded by Bobby Taylor, City absolutely bitzed Huddesfield 5-1, in the most devastating opening to a match I have ever seen at the Gate.

In my experience the fans of other teams have generally been very generous about Hillsborough. Of course there are idiots - every club has them, including both Liverpool and Bristol City - but the generality of the football supporting world has been very sympathetic. I especially remember the Glaswegians turning out in thousands to support a fund-raiser shortly after between Celtic and Liverpool. Perhaps the most important support has come from Everton fans. One of the central planks in the campaign for truth has been the highly successful boycott of The Sun on Merseyside. This would not have been possible without the overwhelming support of the rivals and fellow-Scousers from Everton. The boycott of this worthless evil rag gives me more pride in being a Scouser than football, The Beatles or anything else.

I can understand earlier contributions in this thread which question the need for the gesture on Saturday. All too often these days disasters and tragedies provoke responses which can border on being over-indulgent and mawkish. However, I do not think it was inappropriate on this occasion to mark the closing of this long and painful chapter with the playing of You'll Never Walk Alone. Bristol City, and the tannoy announcer, got it right. And to those contributors who say that Liverpool would never reciprocate if a tradegy were to hit Bristol City, all I can say is that I disagree. Such an opinion is mere speculation which seems to fly in the face of what I know of football fans in general and Liverpool in particular. I fear that you under-estimate the generosity of spirit to be found on Merseyside.

And finally, the East End. From my place in the Dolman I watched those City fans applaud all the way through, and i was really moved. We all know that many of the biggest-hearted City fans can be found on the East End. It is they who so often can find it within themselves to get behind the team when other parts of the Gate have lost heart. However, on Saturday I witnessed a side to them which I never knew existed.

Well done, lads! You were sound!

From the BBC

1. 1341:

2. FOOTBALL

3. Nice touch from Everton. Before tonight's match against Newcastle the teams are going to be led on to the pitch by two mascots, one wearing Everton's colours, the other in Liverpool's, with both children displaying the number 96 on their backs. Ballboys will also have the No 96 on their kit.

Agree with this completely but ended up having a heated row with the guy who sits behind me who decided to lose the plot completely when the song was played. I think his actual words were "Its a ******* disgrace, and they just dont have the courage to admit their own part in it " or words to that effect. I totally respect that people have strong feelings on the subject and there clearly are some who STILL cant accept that this could have happened to any team setting foot in that stadium that day but to come out with the rant he did in front of his own child and both of mine was totally out of order.

Agree with this completely but ended up having a heated row with the guy who sits behind me who decided to lose the plot completely when the song was played. I think his actual words were "Its a ******* disgrace, and they just dont have the courage to admit their own part in it " or words to that effect. I totally respect that people have strong feelings on the subject and there clearly are some who STILL cant accept that this could have happened to any team setting foot in that stadium that day but to come out with the rant he did in front of his own child and both of mine was totally out of order.

Probably a plastic manc.Apparently man ure fans were singing the usual sick chants on saturday.

I know there is a line in football 'banter' and that shouldn't be crossed as far as they have done. Just shows you what a shithole Manchester is have no respect for others.

It works both ways I'm afraid , scousers sing songs about Munich , they're both as bad as one another. (and no , I'm not a plastic manc)

It works both ways I'm afraid , scousers sing songs about Munich , they're both as bad as one another. (and no , I'm not a plastic manc)

Joe's a Man United hero, if anyone had an interest in deflecting attention away from United it would be him.

Here he says he's not ever heard Liverpool fans say anything about Munich. I dunno if he knows more than anyone else, I certainly don't know... But yeah. United fans even had the cheek to deny that the song they sung was referencing Hillsborough. Regardless of my affinity to Liverpool, United fans are amongst the most detestable in the entire football league.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/19617438

Joe's a Man United hero, if anyone had an interest in deflecting attention away from United it would be him.

Here he says he's not ever heard Liverpool fans say anything about Munich. I dunno if he knows more than anyone else, I certainly don't know... But yeah. United fans even had the cheek to deny that the song they sung was referencing Hillsborough. Regardless of my affinity to Liverpool, United fans are amongst the most detestable in the entire football league.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/19617438

I've got a lot of time for big Joe , but he's wrong on this one.

United and Liverpool are set for talks over the coming days about how to approach their Barclays Premier League meeting a week on Sunday — the first match at Anfield since the release of the report.

Understandably there is a sense of trepidation about a highly sensitive occasion, given the ill-feeling between the sets of supporters, made worse last season by the racism row between United’s Patrice Evra and Liverpool’s Luis Suarez.

Previous matches between the teams have been marred by chants about United’s 1958 Munich air disaster and the tragedies involving Liverpool at Heysel and Hillsborough.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz26kBCqXra

I've got a lot of time for big Joe , but he's wrong on this one.

United and Liverpool are set for talks over the coming days about how to approach their Barclays Premier League meeting a week on Sunday — the first match at Anfield since the release of the report.

Understandably there is a sense of trepidation about a highly sensitive occasion, given the ill-feeling between the sets of supporters, made worse last season by the racism row between United’s Patrice Evra and Liverpool’s Luis Suarez.

Previous matches between the teams have been marred by chants about United’s 1958 Munich air disaster and the tragedies involving Liverpool at Heysel and Hillsborough.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz26kBCqXra

To be fair, I misread it. He says during his time at Old Trafford.

It's sad to say that at most football clubs fans have over stepped the mark considerably. Even in my lifetime I've heard songs sung about Hollowheads children (Hate the man, don't hate his kids) and the Aberfan disaster at AG.

Archived