IGNORED

David James - Bournemouth

City Loyal

Little do they know, what? That they're potentially signing a still very capable goalkeeper? Very good signing at that level if it comes off. I for one wish him very well.

A very capable goalkeeper? Not anymore pal.

Whether he plays at Championship or League 1 Is irrelevant. The fact is he is not the goalkeeper he was and not good enough at any pro level anymore......

It's time he moved on into coaching IMO.

David James is training with Bournemouth and their gaffer claiming he could feature at the weekend.

Little do they know....

That they might be getting a goal keeper with 50+ England caps, a model pro, excellent ambassador for the game and the club he represents, FA cup winner, who despite being an old man is an excellent shot stopper who is more than capable of doing a job in league one ...

He's prone to odd gaffe but his clean sheet record is consistent thought his career. 'Arry definitely had something to do with it

That they might be getting a goal keeper with 50+ England caps, a model pro, excellent ambassador for the game and the club he represents, FA cup winner, who despite being an old man is an excellent shot stopper who is more than capable of doing a job in league one ...

He's prone to odd gaffe but his clean sheet record is consistent thought his career. 'Arry definitely had something to do with it

Still a very good keeper for League 1, was great for us in his first season here (IMO).

He went up hugely in my estimation when he was done for speeding in an old Astra, so different to the big-headed Bentley culture that McIndoe subscribed to.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2098935/David-James-fined-speeding-500-car.html

I always liked Jamo, he's clearly a very intelligent bloke and was popular around the dressing room. It was also great for publicity with the club signing him. He also seems to mention City more than any of his other clubs on Twitter which is nice to see.

I don't think he was bad whilst here either, average with the odd mistake but certainly not bad. I think the reason people that moaned about him being bad were just expecting David James at his best but sadly for him and us age caught up with him.

Thankfully we have a top class keeper in his prime years with Tom Heaton now!

You cant question his shot stopping ability...but decision making you can i.e coming out of his goal when he shouldnt or punching it in his own net :P

Im hoping he does well as Bournemouth is my 2nd home so should be interesting.

But then he's always been prone to the odd mistake. It's nothing to do with his age...he still won loads of England caps with that questionable judgement.

Lots of city fans seemed to have an irrational hatred for David James. He IS still a very good keeper and will do a great job at Bournemouth.

Some people have an irrational Love for David James.

One of the worst I've seen play for city. Dropped 2 or 3 Times for poor form last season alone!!! We looked a different team once Gerkin came in and he certainly has his detractors!

Numerous Gaffes (Watford, Reading & Ipswich at home were personal highlights) Terrible kicking, even worse decision making. Near post goals a plenty. I Just don't get how anyone who watched him play for city on a regular basis could honestly say he was decent for us.

Thank god Del & the board decided against a contract extension!

Some people have an irrational Love for David James.

One of the worst I've seen play for city. Dropped 2 or 3 Times for poor form last season alone!!! We looked a different team once Gerkin came in and he certainly has his detractors!

Numerous Gaffes (Watford, Reading & Ipswich at home were personal highlights) Terrible kicking, even worse decision making. Near post goals a plenty. I Just don't get how anyone who watched him play for city on a regular basis could honestly say he was decent for us.

Thank god Del & the board decided against a contract extension!

Spot on

People seem to hate him cause he earnt so much...not his fault we pulled out all the stops to sign him,good luck to him might have been dissapointing for us but so have many others!!

Or was it that Henderson was allowed to leave

David James was a great ambassador for the club.Always seemed to be helping raise our profile.All the best to him.Have to remember he was playing in a very fragile team.I appreciate some people think he was part of that problem and at times they were probably right.Still remember the buzz when he signed though.Watching Sky Sports news in work and the look on the blue fews faces in work was worth Jamos wages alone.

Can someone clear something up for me...

Who actually wanted to sign DJ at the time? Was it our manager or Chairman?

Either way... I admire DJ. I've had the priviledge to meet him a couple times and he has come across as a real Gentleman.

Regardless of wages and performances, when we signed DJ, the football world stood up and took notice.

We were on the crest of a 'feel good' wave and everyone connected with BCFC was optimistic of Promotion.

I often feel if things had worked out between Coppell and our then Chairman, we could have been the new Reading.

But that's football...things look like they are on the up again...which is good.

Can someone clear something up for me...

Who actually wanted to sign DJ at the time? Was it our manager or Chairman?

Either way... I admire DJ. I've had the priviledge to meet him a couple times and he has come across as a real Gentleman.

Regardless of wages and performances, when we signed DJ, the football world stood up and took notice.

We were on the crest of a 'feel good' wave and everyone connected with BCFC was optimistic of Promotion.

I often feel if things had worked out between Coppell and our then Chairman, we could have been the new Reading.

But that's football...things look like they are on the up again...which is good.

I suspect nobody outside the club will ever know for certain as rumours fly in all directions. Personally I don't believe SL went behind Coppell's back and signed him. He might have suggested him and pushed for it but I doubt he would have been brought in without it being cleared with the manager first. And similarly I can't believe that Coppell looked at the chance to sign the then England number one and was completely against it...

Re Coppell, I don't think it ever could have worked - chairman or not. It was pretty clear from his last season at Reading that he'd lost the hunger to manage and had enough and I reckon, after a year out, he joined us in the hope/belief that the love of managing would come back. I suspect injuries/difficulties signing players etc. didn't help but overall I think his heart just wasn't in football management anymore and nothing the chairman could have done or not done would have changed that.

But then he's always been prone to the odd mistake. It's nothing to do with his age...he still won loads of England caps with that questionable judgement.

In many ways it was not just his questionable judgement it was the people who were picking him every week. He was symptomatic of the whole post-Johnson period. Top man but when he played he tended to either keep a clean sheet or let in three. if we ever went a goal down it was always game over.

I have never seen anyone get so furious with the supposed incompetence of those around him.

Archived