IGNORED

Dortmund

bs3

Fantastic support from the German the fans against Man City.

Why I was thinking to myself why aren't English fans like this anymore? Easy answer really this what happens after the twenty years of over zealous stewarding by Kill joys at clubs and the football authorities in general . They have wiped out football fan culture in this country and sanitised the game beyond all belief.

I read a football fan book back in 1990 called "Steaming in" the aurthor talked about football fans in the future would drive to outer town all seater stadiums with their families are clap politely when a goal was scored , he claimed this was the future the FA was trying to creat. Well this future of football as come to pass in this country and in my view we have lost part of our culture in the process.

Why I was thinking to myself why aren't English fans like this anymore? Easy answer really this what happens after the twenty years of over zealous stewarding by Kill joys at clubs and the football authorities in general . They have wiped out football fan culture in this country and sanitised the game beyond all belief.

I read a football fan book back in 1990 called "Steaming in" the aurthor talked about football fans in the future would drive to outer town all seater stadiums with their families are clap politely when a goal was scored , he claimed this was the future the FA was trying to creat. Well this future of football as come to pass in this country and in my view we have lost part of our culture in the process.

read that book myself bs3 and a classic

good write up on goings on at ag in the 70s too

dortmund taken over man city centre all day massive mob

Steamin in, Quality book.

Hoping to get over there myself. Think it's more than these things. We have had pride in our nation or any other belonging derided for years. Political correctness gone made. There is nothing wrong on being who you are no matter if it's proud bristol or Englishman. We just need to lose the zeniphobia and find pride in who we are

You know what, i was thinking exactly the same thing when i was watching the game.

Going off point a little, you say they have the highest average of 80k a week, you look at their home attendances, its fairly high, but almost all of their fans get involved, its absolutely quality. Problem is seating, and moaning bastards who don't want to get involved. That mixture is not a good concoction, and this is why its incredibly hard to create atmosphere here in England.

Oh, and the F.A and their bull H+S rules don't help either.

My mate went over to see hamburg play, with the safe standing and drinking allowed the atmosphere he said was immense. All stands were joining in, they have definitively done it the right way over there. All about the money in english football now and no common sense approach to h and s.

To many spectators and not enough supporters in the English top divisions.

amen. watching the game here in germany, someone commented to me how quiet the english fans were. people dont realise, that at those prices, a large amount of "home fans" are actually tourists or people who have no affinity to the team they are watching

amen. watching the game here in germany, someone commented to me how quiet the english fans were. people dont realise, that at those prices, a large amount of "home fans" are actually tourists or people who have no affinity to the team they are watching

Don't think that's true, Man City have a large local, passionate fan base. How do you compete with that last night though? If I was there I probably would've just stood back and admired there fans. No way you can compete with 6,000 drunk Germans all in one end with drums singing non-stop. They'd have outsung any English club at any ground.

I used to attend quite a few home matches when I was stationed in Dortmund in the 80's, the atmosphere was always amazing. Home fans were friendly and more than happy to have some "island monkeys" (Englishmen) following there team. The ground was something else, the home end had a large standing area (think it was the largest in Europe?) with a bratwurst and a few beers at half time finishing it off nicely!

I, along with 3 other City fans, went to the Etihad last night and we do occasionally go to Dortmund as well, the Dortmund fan who was at the Leeds game is Herr Schneider, a top, top man who has taught all the regulars in his local to sing drink up thee cider and **** off Irene, they even have the Wurzels on the juke box.

The home end you are chatting about is the South Tribune or the 'yellow wall'. It is absolutely incredible to be honest.

The Citeh fans last night sang you've only got one song to the BvB support, they certainly know differently now! Awesome supporters.

As an aside, seeing the Etihad or City of Manchester stadium for the first time has made me realise just how decrepid the Gate is, what a stadium! It's just a pity that it took an hour to get out of the bleeding car park!!

Oh yeah, penalty my arse.

Why I was thinking to myself why aren't English fans like this anymore?

Because the dynamics that create it would not be allowed to prosper in the UK, or Ashton Gate - BCFC.

Bet they don't have threads on their forum about generating atmosphere :P

They will have more than threads. German fans groups have organisational structures within their clubs.

Went to Berlin v dortmund earlier this year.85,000 there including a yellow wall at the away end. How refreshing to have beer available before during and after the game. They even bring it to you in your seat, bit like popcorn sellers used to do in cinemas.

I know more and more football fans who have now decided to stop watching League football in this Country. They save their money and get cheap flights to watch games in Spain, Italy and Germany. Often taking WaGs along with their mates. When they don't go abroad, they go and watch their local non league side. I started doing it in 1996 following Lazio. It's sad to say, but I now watch more football abroad than i do watching City. I seriously can't remember the last time i came away from AG feeling a buzz. I do everytime i go to see Lazio...or experiencing new grounds and teams. Shame...but like has been said before...there is too much wrong with football in this country to make it enjoyable. Too much red tape...poor transport and parking... and often treated like sub humans.

I seriously can't remember the last time i came away from AG feeling a buzz.

I have every game I've been to this season*. You should try it, Spudski. Even some of the losses have been entertaining and I've felt I've watched our team going out and trying to win.

* Qualification: I didn't watch the League Cup or Millwall game.

I know more and more football fans who have now decided to stop watching League football in this Country. They save their money and get cheap flights to watch games in Spain, Italy and Germany. Often taking WaGs along with their mates. When they don't go abroad, they go and watch their local non league side. I started doing it in 1996 following Lazio. It's sad to say, but I now watch more football abroad than i do watching City. I seriously can't remember the last time i came away from AG feeling a buzz. I do everytime i go to see Lazio...or experiencing new grounds and teams. Shame...but like has been said before...there is too much wrong with football in this country to make it enjoyable. Too much red tape...poor transport and parking... and often treated like sub humans.

You seem like a lost dog looking for his bone. Every post I read of yours make me depressed, thanks a lot...

I used to love Serie A but can't take it seriously any more sadly what with all the corruption. The final straw was the Lecce player admitting scoring an OG so Bari wouldn't go down.

The authorities are trying to wipe out the whole of traditional working class British male culture not just at football. Massive tax on and public restrictions on smoking; beer now at around £3 per pint - mainly due to excess taxation - in the pubs mean that many pubs have or will close; now too expensive for working class teenagers to buy and run an old banger because the car insurance for them now costs £1,000s - the list goes on. I feel really sorry for the young lads these days as this country is now far worse for working class teenagers than it ever was under Maggie Thatcher when I were a youth.

Archived