IGNORED

Dortmund

bs3

You seem like a lost dog looking for his bone. Every post I read of yours make me depressed, thanks a lot...

Sorry you feel like that...it's not intentional.

However...I'm far from a lost dog.

Football for me is not just about what goes on the pitch.

It's a whole 'Matchday' experience.

I love going abroad and experiencing different cultures and types of football.

I made a concious decision to do it...also with work i'm often abroad and not near Bristol.

When I am back... I do often attend, but i can't help comparing it with matches abroad.

I'm also pleased that fans are finding the football at AG entertaining now.

Often on forums, it seems there is a lot of moaning. It's a bit like watching the news...nothing but misery.

People post 'negative' views because they often care and want things to be better.

A lot is taken out of context.

I wouldn't bother coming on here unless i had a deep rooted interest in BCFC and Football.

Unfortunately it's in my blood.

And i'm sure for many like myself who work or live far away from Bristol often...it's a lifeline to a community we miss.

Thankfully i'm back near Bristol for a while and will be attending some games to see how Del is transforming the Club.

I have every game I've been to this season*. You should try it, Spudski. Even some of the losses have been entertaining and I've felt I've watched our team going out and trying to win.

* Qualification: I didn't watch the League Cup or Millwall game.

I will be very soon...looking forward to it.

They get 80000 for every league game. Restricted to 65000 for European games. The population of Dortmund is 580000, compared to 480000 in Bristol. We get average of 14000 approx

bit misleading, since Dortmund is in one of the largest, most densely populated urban regions of Europe. their attendances are great but the catchment area is huge, plus public transport in Germany is good, making it much easier to get to signal iduna park from surrounding areas than it is to get to the gate from somewhere like Yate or thornbury

Fantastic support from the German the fans against Man City.

Why I was thinking to myself why aren't English fans like this anymore? Easy answer really this what happens after the twenty years of over zealous stewarding by Kill joys at clubs and the football authorities in general . They have wiped out football fan culture in this country and sanitised the game beyond all belief.

I read a football fan book back in 1990 called "Steaming in" the aurthor talked about football fans in the future would drive to outer town all seater stadiums with their families are clap politely when a goal was scored , he claimed this was the future the FA was trying to creat. Well this future of football as come to pass in this country and in my view we have lost part of our culture in the process.

excellent book, the best in its genre - and a nice write up for city and all :) I never thought at the time, however, his words would come true :(

• SC&T Board Members

If I was going to go to a european game I quite like the look of Frankfurt. How much would it cost for a weekend stay. Like travelling, food/drinking, accomodation? Any information would be helpful.

http://www.eintracht.de/english/news/

Frankfurt's not the easiest of places to get to from Bristol on a budget. If you want to sample German football without paying too much for travel, I'd recommend hopping on an easyJet flight direct to Berlin and staying down in the southeast of the city (cheaper hotels) to catch a game at Union Berlin. They are the 'poor relations' to Hertha Berlin ... but the real working man's club, with genuine, down-to-earth supporters, not prawn sandwich fans. The stadium is standing on three sides. Currently 16,500 capacity while they build a new grandstand. Then it will be around 22,000. Beer and Bratwurst on the terraces, of course. And they play in red and white! 3 hours from Bristol and about 12 euros to get in. What more could you ask for!? Find a weekend when City are away and Union are at home and give it a go. If you're seriously looking at going over, PM me and I'll give you a few travel / pub tips. I'm over there quite often at the moment.

The unfortunate thing about getting to Germany from Bristol is that there's only 1 direct flight (to Berlin). I'm in Germany quite often with work and tend to get flights to Frankfurt, Hamburg and Munich from Birmingham, but you'll struggle to get a return flight for less than £120 any time of year.

Hoping to see 1899 Hoffenheim next time I'm in Heidelberg, but if you cant get to a football match another interesting sport to watch in Germany is ice hockey. A bit Americanised but the crowds are relatively large and support is also noisy!

• SC&T Board Members

Do you only go to the Union games or do you go to others?so Hertha and Union are easy to get to from Bristol, any others?

As Redminster says, the only direct flights to Germany from Bristol are the easyJet ones to Berlin. I've been to Hertha games and it's interesting to go there just to see the 1936 Olympic Stadium (the one the Nazis built and then got very miffed when Jesse Owens won a whole heap of golds), but the atmosphere is not as good as at Union, as it's so big it is rarely full and you're a long way from the pitch because of the running track.

As for going anywhere else from Berlin, Cottbus is the closest (2nd division - good atmosphere but uninteresting town). For top-flight clubs you'd have to take a 2-hour-ish train ride to the likes of Wolfsburg, Hannover or Hamburg, with the latter offering the best mix of interesting town and good footy (with the choice of St Pauli - currently 2nd division - or HSV).

Just thought i'd post a thank you to those posting ITK about German football

I'm at the moment an armchair admirer of German football, always look for the German football TV Programmes (mainly on ESPN)

Looking to get into it a bit more as, not only does the atmosphere sound incredible when its going, ticket prices aren't extortionate - the football in genuinely attractive, from what i've witnessed only on TV.

Many people have completmented the stucture, management and architecture of the Bundesliga - this thread is really helpful

Don't like the rebel politics but St Pauli are an interesting club. The way the club interacts with its community and its visual exposure could be relevent to the UK.

Everything else forget it in the UK. Revolution would be necessary and fans with tens of millions to buy owners out. Different world.

It's definately a cultural thing imho...

Don't get me wrong, there are idiots in every country...but Germans in general know how to have a good time, get pissed, enjoy the football, have some banter and sing...without being totally abusive and wanting to cause trouble. They stand...drink,eat, sing and chant, whilst not wanting to upset the people around them...in other words, they have respect...even when pissed.

It's similar when you go to an Oktoberfest...

I also believe we are saturated with football in this country...we just get football 24/7 and imho, it's diluted football in general. I think that's not helped with the atmosphere at football games...we sit in our chairs, watch everything in a polished atmosphere...it's just like sitting at home on your sofa.

Would i like to go back to terracing and standing... too right.

... and they've only very rarely had the desire to invade neighbouring countries! ;-)

Seriously though, this thread has made me think I ought to watch more continental football when I'm abroad.

I have a contract in Essen in January. Forgive my ignorance, but what would be the club to watch for a wandering ciderhead based over there for a few weeks?

It's definately a cultural thing imho...

Don't get me wrong, there are idiots in every country...but Germans in general know how to have a good time, get pissed, enjoy the football, have some banter and sing...without being totally abusive and wanting to cause trouble. They stand...drink,eat, sing and chant, whilst not wanting to upset the people around them...in other words, they have respect...even when pissed.

It's similar when you go to an Oktoberfest...

I also believe we are saturated with football in this country...we just get football 24/7 and imho, it's diluted football in general. I think that's not helped with the atmosphere at football games...we sit in our chairs, watch everything in a polished atmosphere...it's just like sitting at home on your sofa.

Would i like to go back to terracing and standing... too right.

Germany considered going all seater in the ninties due to hooliganism. There are active firms in Germany and have been since the late eighties. There is a difference in culture i.e inclusivity, but that difference is present in ruling bodies and clubs. Fans have a stake in their clubs, fans representation is on club boards, clubs scannot be owned by one invividual and there is an ethos right through German football that encourges an atitude that says football is comunity based. The entire model is different to the UK. Germany looks after its own, its fans, the UK model looks at the money.

yeah ill second that notion, thanks for all the info, going over there does interest me a lot. Really do want to go to dortmunds ground though, it's everything I love about stadiums, which is becoming more and more rare.

steep incline, safe standing, flags, banners, flares, passion, great football, and above all, cheap to go see the game. got a lot of respect and time for the Germans when it comes to their football.

... and they've only very rarely had the desire to invade neighbouring countries! ;-)

Seriously though, this thread has made me think I ought to watch more continental football when I'm abroad.

I have a contract in Essen in January. Forgive my ignorance, but what would be the club to watch for a wandering ciderhead based over there for a few weeks?

Rot Weiß Essen are pretty small (Regionalliga West, the western regional league, the 4th tier), you get a different atmosphere at the smaller games. essen is very close to gelsenkirchen, where Schalke 04 play, and dortmund, and i would say it's worth the trip to get to those teams, never mind the fact essen is a bit of a hole

edit - even if schalke and BVB are away, it wouldnt be inconceivable to get down to düsseldorf, which is a much nicer city and also has a BL team now. essen and the whole ruhrgebiet (the region) are very, very densely populated with tons of cities and teams to see

Rot Weiß Essen are pretty small (Regionalliga West, the western regional league, the 4th tier), you get a different atmosphere at the smaller games. essen is very close to gelsenkirchen, where Schalke 04 play, and dortmund, and i would say it's worth the trip to get to those teams, never mind the fact essen is a bit of a hole

edit - even if schalke and BVB are away, it wouldnt be inconceivable to get down to düsseldorf, which is a much nicer city and also has a BL team now. essen and the whole ruhrgebiet (the region) are very, very densely populated with tons of cities and teams to see

Thanks for that. I shall be checking the fixtures.

i totally forgot. there is a winter break in german football, which you will probably visit during. sorry!

the RWE fixtures - http://www.kicker.de...instermine.html - have a gap between 15.12 and 2.2

Rats! I think I'm going over there about Jan 20th. Might still be there when things restart though.

Edit: Looks like I might get to see B Dortmund v Nuremburg :fingerscrossed:

:cool2: .......

Schalke_04.png

A cartoon scummer? That the best you can do? Typical sh1t 04 supporter then!

One of these flies at the Westfelstadion and we are duly proud of our links with their supporters plus the fact that one of our lot spends more time in the Ruhr valley than in Bristol now.

C9EF5C1CC6BE8749CE066FB95FC34766C9EF5C1CC6BE8749F2612C169FDBCC647A7556F70C624761259A5ABBFA46F601DA2B4195FDFD3034D84E02CF93CDE164B83703960B1062DEE7447E44E42EFDEE.jpg

Archived