IGNORED

Typical Arrogance

sglosbcfc

I agree that Green is off his nut and a Euro league is madness, but to say Rangers wouldn't compete in the Championship is laughable. I am far from a rangers fan but they have massive support and potential, if they joined the English leagues sponsors and investors would be falling over themselves to pour money in to ensure they made it to the top. The truth of the matter is that Celtic and Rangers are both top six teams in Britain without a doubt.

celtic and rangers better than spurs and everton??? cant see it to be fair

I think your both missing his point - Rangers and Celtic are both in the top 6 clubs in the UK for support. Certainly not in terms of ability granted.

Thing is, there's no way both Rangers and Cetlic would both play in a European super league. In the European scheme of things they and scottis football are small fry.

celtic and rangers better than spurs and everton??? cant see it to be fair

Don't be silly. They're not even close. If they were allowed to play in the English top flight (which will never happen) for a decade or so they might make it into the top half of the Prem, but without that they are miles and miles off.

Rangers and Celtic NOW would struggle to survive in the EPL, but if they were granted places, the massive tv money, plus they could offer players 50,000 plus gates every week, plus investors and sponsors that wouldn't touch them in the SPL would come on board, within three seasons IMO they would leave all but the Man Us, Man Cs in their slip stream.

Rangers and Celtic NOW would struggle to survive in the EPL, but if they were granted places, the massive tv money, plus they could offer players 50,000 plus gates every week, plus investors and sponsors that wouldn't touch them in the SPL would come on board, within three seasons IMO they would leave all but the Man Us, Man Cs in their slip stream.

Players don't care about crowds they care about money and success.

Rangers and Celtic even after a decade in the Prem would trail behind Man U, Man C, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, Newcastle, Everton and probably a couple of other sides. None of those teams would struggle to get 50k fans a week at the £15-25 a head that Celtic charge routinely - and most would get that or more at double the amount which I doubt very much the Glasgow clubs would manage at similar prices.

Also, the TV money is big but a huge chunk of the revenue to the top teams make comes from merchandising and commercial sponsorship, none of which the Glasgow clubs would do anywhere near as well from (because the scotch market is 1/7th the size of the English market).

But let's be honest, all we ever hear from the scotch eggs is a bunch of anti english whinging and self congratulatory masturbation about how big rangers and celtic are, when they are slightly bigger minnows in the bitter little pond of apathetic long ball shite that is scotch football. They won't ever play in the English leagues or a European superleague, so Green can do one.

This reminds me of Phil Gartside a few years ago with his 'pull up the drawbridge' idea. It's all about greed and 'I'm alright, balls to the rest of you'!

I wonder if Mr Gartside still thinks there should be a top league closed shop with his mahoosive club now residing outside the Premier League? I think we can safely assume it's a dreadful idea now.

The Rangers owner is just trying to make sure his club are still in the minds of UEFA although, officially, they have won absolutely nothing as the Rangers that won loads of titles no longer exist.

He can do one IMHO, they are a newly formed third division club, end of!

Players don't care about crowds they care about money and success.

Rangers and Celtic even after a decade in the Prem would trail behind Man U, Man C, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, Newcastle, Everton and probably a couple of other sides. None of those teams would struggle to get 50k fans a week at the £15-25 a head that Celtic charge routinely - and most would get that or more at double the amount which I doubt very much the Glasgow clubs would manage at similar prices.

Also, the TV money is big but a huge chunk of the revenue to the top teams make comes from merchandising and commercial sponsorship, none of which the Glasgow clubs would do anywhere near as well from (because the scotch market is 1/7th the size of the English market).

But let's be honest, all we ever hear from the scotch eggs is a bunch of anti english whinging and self congratulatory masturbation about how big rangers and celtic are, when they are slightly bigger minnows in the bitter little pond of apathetic long ball shite that is scotch football. They won't ever play in the English leagues or a European superleague, so Green can do one.

Celtic and Rangers both have huge appeal all over the UK and Ireland and wider world. Whenever I travel abroad I see as many Rangers and Celtic shirts as I do the shirts of the leading EPL sides. I am not arguing for it to happen, I am just saying that in a very short period of time Rangers and Celtic would be very competitive if they were allowed into the EPL. I also think that if a Euro League was ever set up (and I really hope that it would never happen) Celtic and Rangers would be certs to be invited.

None of that changes the fact that Green is a tool and should in fact do one.

This reminds me of Phil Gartside a few years ago with his 'pull up the drawbridge' idea. It's all about greed and 'I'm alright, balls to the rest of you'!

I wonder if Mr Gartside still thinks there should be a top league closed shop with his mahoosive club now residing outside the Premier League? I think we can safely assume it's a dreadful idea now.

The Rangers owner is just trying to make sure his club are still in the minds of UEFA although, officially, they have won absolutely nothing as the Rangers that won loads of titles no longer exist.

He can do one IMHO, they are a newly formed third division club, end of!

I guess we have no history either then? That we only started in 1982?

The reason the European Cup became the Champions League is due to the greed of certain leading (but not top) clubs in West Europe. In the EC only the League Champions could compete, but with the money on offer for some sort of Euro Super League, various Spanish & Italian clubs demanded automatic entry due to their status & history.

UEFA threatened "rules are rules and if you're not champions of your own league; tough". 14 clubs, including some British, threatened to break away and form their own league so UEFA backed down and formatted the Champs League. The number of places allotted to each country is determined by that nation's TV audience figures!!!

IMHO UEFA should have allowed clubs to break away but then announced anyone playing for one of those clubs would be barred from all other clubs in Europe, so they'd find it hard to sell or loan players to anyone not in the breakaway league. No matter how good the standard of play, someone (Celtic?) would finish bottom each year, so fans would drift away and only TV revenue would be available to the lower clubs.

The reason the European Cup became the Champions League is due to the greed of certain leading (but not top) clubs in West Europe. In the EC only the League Champions could compete, but with the money on offer for some sort of Euro Super League, various Spanish & Italian clubs demanded automatic entry due to their status & history.

UEFA threatened "rules are rules and if you're not champions of your own league; tough". 14 clubs, including some British, threatened to break away and form their own league so UEFA backed down and formatted the Champs League. The number of places allotted to each country is determined by that nation's TV audience figures!!!

IMHO UEFA should have allowed clubs to break away but then announced anyone playing for one of those clubs would be barred from all other clubs in Europe, so they'd find it hard to sell or loan players to anyone not in the breakaway league. No matter how good the standard of play, someone (Celtic?) would finish bottom each year, so fans would drift away and only TV revenue would be available to the lower clubs.

UEFA certainly have to be tough with these big clubs, any sign of weakness and they will go for the jugular. I am genuinely not convinced there is a great appetite for more Euro games. What makes Euro games special is that they don't come around every week or even every season. Look at the Europa League, quite often that is poorly attended. Fans like their national competitions and their regional clashes and local derbies. Countries where there is a lack of competition e.g. Scotland, Spain, Portugal need to look at how they distribute money and whether the big boys are just crushing the rest. Germany seems to be the country that every one could learn from and look how strong their national team is now.

UEFA certainly have to be tough with these big clubs, any sign of weakness and they will go for the jugular. I am genuinely not convinced there is a great appetite for more Euro games. What makes Euro games special is that they don't come around every week or even every season. Look at the Europa League, quite often that is poorly attended. Fans like their national competitions and their regional clashes and local derbies. Countries where there is a lack of competition e.g. Scotland, Spain, Portugal need to look at how they distribute money and whether the big boys are just crushing the rest. Germany seems to be the country that every one could learn from and look how strong their national team is now.

You mention Scotland & Portugal. A few years ago there was talk of "The Atlantic League". This was because some countries have a big two who always win their domestic league, but aren't so strong in Europe. Those countries interested in that league were led by Scotland, Portugal & Holland. One of the reasons given by the Scots for the Glasgow pair to compete in the English Prem is to get them used to to playing stronger league oppos and thus better prepared for Europe.

Don't be silly. They're not even close. If they were allowed to play in the English top flight (which will never happen) for a decade or so they might make it into the top half of the Prem, but without that they are miles and miles off.

You'd have said the same about Manchester City 5 years ago. Russian oligarchs and Arab oil billionaires would be falling over themselves to clean their money through clubs with a global fan base playing in the most watched league in the world. They'd be right up there - 60,000 home gates + TV revenue + ludicrously rich owners = success in short, medium and long term.

You'd have said the same about Manchester City 5 years ago. Russian oligarchs and Arab oil billionaires would be falling over themselves to clean their money through clubs with a global fan base playing in the most watched league in the world. They'd be right up there - 60,000 home gates + TV revenue + ludicrously rich owners = success in short, medium and long term.

Well ludicrously rich owners could happen to any number of clubs that wouldn't be hampered by being in Scotland, so I'm not sure the idea is that useful.

UEFA threatened "rules are rules and if you're not champions of your own league; tough". 14 clubs, including some British, threatened to break away and form their own league so UEFA backed down and formatted the Champs League. The number of places allotted to each country is determined by that nation's TV audience figures!!!.

Not true about the number of places in the Champions league being allocated by TV audience. It's actually done by the performance of each country's teams' performances in European competition in the previous 5 years. See country coefficient at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficient

Charles Green should note that there are currently 25 better leagues than Scotland's at the moment (including the likes of Slovakia, Belarus and Israel), So if there was a super league there is no guarantee a Scottish team would get in!

Let them go, then the rest of us can go back to enjoying how the leagues were before too much money.

Green has a cheek when he talks about small clubs, his team are in the bottom league of the Scottish pyramid...

Agree 100% with this. The sooner they all form their own European Super League the sooner the rest of us can all get on with playing football. Hopefully it'll put an end to the ridiculous kick off times we've increasingly had to endure as well.

I want to see us in the top flight but on merit, done through the correct procedure.

I'm not interested in selling out to some Malaysian tycoon, who'll strip the club of it's identity, just to guarantee premier league football.

If we can build properly and eventually mount a push, as we have done before then great, if not I won't lose any sleep.

Am I the only fan who really doesnt care if city never reach the prem?

wow, I thought I was the only one out there, only to find there's a few of us :) the soul of football has been eaten, what little remains at BCFC will vanish the moment we hit the promotion button.

Everything i'm gonna say has probably been already said but what has he been smoking? Why would any team in their right mind want to play Celtic, let alone Rangers, instead of Swansea?

This seems to be a case of someone who cannot take the fact Rangers are now one of the lowliest teams in Britain (in terms of league placement).

Even if there was a european league (god forbid) why would they be invited?

This is probably one of the most arrogant and stupid things I've ever read.

Archived