IGNORED

George Ferguson - Ashton Vale & Bcfc

cider head

I've got to say Noggers, you're bloody hilarious to read. Very Naive to think that GF isn't going through with this embarrassing canvassing for any other reason than to 'curry favour' with a large section of the Bristol electorate who do not like him.

It's almost as naive to think that as it is to think your defence of George is based on anything other than your desire to see Bristol City stay at Ashton Gate. Had George come out claiming he was entirely in favour of both the new stadium and the redevelopment of Ashton Gate into an apparently 'monstrous' (more exaggeratory poppy-cock) Sainsbury's then you would never have even posted on this thread.

Check my first post fella.

I was genuinely told on ziderheads that this was one fan getting in touch with Mr Ferguson first not the other way round.

I've got to say Noggers, you're bloody hilarious to read. Very Naive to think that GF isn't going through with this embarrassing canvassing for any other reason than to 'curry favour' with a large section of the Bristol electorate who do not like him.

It's almost as naive to think that as it is to think your defence of George is based on anything other than your desire to see Bristol City stay at Ashton Gate. Had George come out claiming he was entirely in favour of both the new stadium and the redevelopment of Ashton Gate into an apparently 'monstrous' (more exaggeratory poppy-cock) Sainsbury's then you would never have even posted on this thread.

Ferguson was replying directly to an email from a poster on Ziderheads, and taking the opportunity to put the record straight.

As for the new Sainsbury's I live in the local area and have done for almost 30 years. So I know Southville and Ashton very well, use the local shops all the time, and the proposed Sainsbury's certainly looks like a monstrosity to me.

As for naivety, yes, I'm sure you're right. I'm bound to be naive on this subject, and no doubt many others, compared to a kiddie from Weston who's probably younger than my two children. :doh:

EDIT: I think on reflection it was a big 2 tier stand much like the size of Leicester City's filbert street. I'm sure the club released an architects sketch of this.

Yes they did.

a1revamp1.jpg

a1revamp.jpg

In the past plans were considered for expansion work to be carried out at Ashton Gate. There were also proposals to build a new 36,000-seat stadium at Hengrove Park. This was turned down in a local referendum in December 2000. In 2002, the local council was looking at possible sites for a new 40,000-seat stadium which would house both City, Rovers and Bristol Rugby, but these plans were scrapped and it is widely accepted that this would not have been welcomed by the majority of supporters from all clubs.

Picture was in the evening post.

STADIUM.jpg

Oh Yes, and planning permision has already ceased on any existing redevelopment plans for AG.

Planning permissions normally last for three years. It is usually a straightforward exercise to renew them. In this case, if City asked for new, different permissions I would think that the council would bend over backwards to be helpful after the Ashton Vale fiasco.

Exactly. Those opposed to Sainsbury's are backing the TVG lot, no new stadium = no Sainsbury's, so let's keep things in house and remember the things they've taken from this site and used against us and the club.

George Fergusson is and always will be devisive, this time when suggesting that the Hireite site could be used to extend AG, it could not, unless we could have an L shaped stadium/pitch.

He's come up with this so as not to alienate himself from possible votes from city fans, he is an hypocrite. He claims to support local shops, yet runs a market in direct competition, allows a bakery from which he gets rent to compete with already established local bakers, opens a theatre in the suburbs but states that places of entertainment should be accessable to all and central, opposes an arena at AV while promoting one at Temple Meads, which surprise surprise he is part of the consortium promoting it and opens a giant bar which hastens the closing of local traditional boozers.

Do you really think SL will have given him any info about his plans?

Why has Colin Sexstone openly given his support to this devious conspiritor?

Why has Colin Sexstone openly given his support to this devious conspiritor?

Because as a local businessman he knows that GF is someone he should be onside with, or suffer the consequences.

Do you remember the refusal to shake GF's hand at the end of the council meeting?

Sexton was and has always been an establishment man.

Attended Colstons' school, spent time in the RAF ( not fighting, but as a personnel officer), enjoys Rugby and Cricket far more than football, too working class for him.

The Ship and Castle burnt down, the Wedlocks was basically shut by its owners charging a unrealistic rent. East and West street where pubs have shut attracts a different demographic drinker. The giant bar appears to have hastened an increase in premises serving alcohol in North street.

A theatre in the suburbs! Another venue for Bristol makes art more accessible, not less, particularly if you live locally. Bakers, markets, entertainment, the area is thriving.

Temple Meads is the best site for an arena next to an "accessible" major transport hub I would have thought.

I agree that temple meads is best for an arena, however GF is not transparent in his objection to an arena at AV, he has openly stated that places of entertainment shouldbe in town centres yet he opens his theatre in the suburbs, possibly to the detriment of smaller productions in the little theatre and the old vic. The TF has changed the social centre of south bristol (IMO) resulting in other venues opening close by and luring patrons from other establishments on the periphery in south bristol. You don't mention the plough, the white lion, red cow, and other pubs which yoyo between open and closed, obviously not all attributable to the opening but the new social centre is bound to have had a detrimental effect.

Planning permissions normally last for three years. It is usually a straightforward exercise to renew them. In this case, if City asked for new, different permissions I would think that the council would bend over backwards to be helpful after the Ashton Vale fiasco.

You are correct, renewing existing applications is usually easy, in this instance i believe there would have to be a fresh application, our requirements would possibly be different now and we no of the problems that can be caused by objectors. So it might not be as straightforward as we'd like to think.

I remember these plans, definately a single tier structure, the roof does not look very well designed, looks like the atyeo so the sound would just go out. Hopefully if we have to do this the club will do a revamp and more modern stand designs taking accoustics into account. Like people have said if we do have to go down that route it has been proven it can be done reletively affectively without effecting capacity for too long at a time.

I think that the Wedlock would've been redesigned into a similar style of stand so that the two could be connected at the corner. As mentioned similar roof design to the Atyeo could mean that another corner built in between Williams and Atyeo too.

Think largely though, if AG were to be redeveloped the designs would be different yet again because that design was from around 2005 and the Williams one circa 1998? Both could be improved upon architecturally and technologically now.

Redeveloping AG will not bring any corporate/non matchday income to BCFC and that is what we need to start to challenge at the top of this division, an AG redevelopment will be the end for SL.

I don't think most people understand how big AV would be and how much cash it could generate.

BCAGFC

Why does the new East End finish only a couple of yards past the side of the pitch on both sides?

Compare that with the aeriel view of the present East End which extends far further in both directions and it's clear the capacity could be much higher were it extended to more normal proportions.

If you then fill in further join up with the Dolman and the New Williams you must be talking in terms of at least 1,000 more on each end at a very conservative estimate.

Why would they possibly contemplate a New East End being considerably shorter than the present one when estimating future capacity?

Because the EE is a very abnormal structure for an end stand. It is long enough to be a side stand, and this is partly why it has a decent ish capacity despite not having many rows.

Modern stands are not built like this & for good reason. Corners are the most complex part of a stadium, and making sure they can link one stand to another is not easy. Get it wrong and it can be very awkward if not impossible. They have probably designed this stand in the render in a non committal way regarding the future development of the williams. The corner will be developed.

Because as a local businessman he knows that GF is someone he should be onside with, or suffer the consequences.

Do you remember the refusal to shake GF's hand at the end of the council meeting?

Sexton was and has always been an establishment man.

Attended Colstons' school, spent time in the RAF ( not fighting, but as a personnel officer), enjoys Rugby and Cricket far more than football, too working class for him.

Colin Sexstone did not have to openly throw his hat behind any candidate for Mayor.

The truth really could be that Mr Sexstone thinks George Ferguson's record of achievement makes him the obvious choice, and not some divisive conspirator as a poster asserts.

Having met Ferguson, I can say he's a switched-on and dynamic character. And - as Tomarse and others can bear witness - he's a genuine fan, we bantered on matters football for some time.

This was all before the AV saga alas, or I'd have put to him how mistaken he was in his belief that a large Sainsburys would drive small shops out of North street. Big supermarkets want to occupy strategic locations to compete against other big supermarkets and out-of-town stores. The existence of supermarkets has already done as much damage to the centre of Bedminster as it's ever going to do. The shops there now exist despite the big boys 'store wars' - they cater to different needs.

Exactly. Those opposed to Sainsbury's are backing the TVG lot, no new stadium = no Sainsbury's, so let's keep things in house and remember the things they've taken from this site and used against us and the club.

George Fergusson is and always will be devisive, this time when suggesting that the Hireite site could be used to extend AG, it could not, unless we could have an L shaped stadium/pitch.

He's come up with this so as not to alienate himself from possible votes from city fans, he is an hypocrite. He claims to support local shops, yet runs a market in direct competition, allows a bakery from which he gets rent to compete with already established local bakers, opens a theatre in the suburbs but states that places of entertainment should be accessable to all and central, opposes an arena at AV while promoting one at Temple Meads, which surprise surprise he is part of the consortium promoting it and opens a giant bar which hastens the closing of local traditional boozers.

Do you really think SL will have given him any info about his plans?

The reason traditional pubs are shutting right across Bristol is not George Ferguson, its because its three pound and often more a pint!!

I guess this is not possible or better qualified people than me would have thought about it, but is it possible to add exits to the Dolman? Right at the top/back, is there room to add exits which takes people outside, closed in staircases /fire escape arrangement, down to the walkway behind the stand. People would then have the choice and the stand would clear much quicker.

Ignore all of the party politicians for your Mayor vote, you can do a lot worse than vote for Ferguson, at least he has actually succeeded in his professional life, not like your career politicians. He's a forward thinker, he may just get things moving in Bristol.

Ignore all of the party politicians for your Mayor vote, you can do a lot worse than vote for Ferguson, at least he has actually succeeded in his professional life, not like your career politicians. He's a forward thinker, he may just get things moving in Bristol.

He certainly has succeeded, one of his successes was buying the tobacco factory site for one pound!

Bristol Rovers anyone?

Having met Ferguson, I can say he's a switched-on and dynamic character. And - as Tomarse and others can bear witness - he's a genuine fan, we bantered on matters football for some time.

This was all before the AV saga alas, or I'd have put to him how mistaken he was in his belief that a large Sainsburys would drive small shops out of North street. Big supermarkets want to occupy strategic locations to compete against other big supermarkets and out-of-town stores. The existence of supermarkets has already done as much damage to the centre of Bedminster as it's ever going to do. The shops there now exist despite the big boys 'store wars' - they cater to different needs.

Wisdom.

We are doing the objectors to the new stadium a favour with these open discussions on this forum. Any desenting fan that objects to the leaving of AG will post, any objector to the Sainsbury store will post, any supporter for the TVG will post and the objectors will use this perceived dissent as ammunition for their cause. Have we learnt nothing?

Let's get one thing straight, anyone that opposes the Sainsbury store at AG supports the applicants for a TVG. That includes GF Nogbad and any other poster using this medium for their cause. By supporting the TVG there is a chance the store won't get built.

So there are still different factions supporting each others causes to enhance the chance of their own cause succeeding, this also includes people that are opposed to greenbelt developments anywhere in the region.

And we let them continue their campaigns on our own site, unbelievable.

Let's get one thing straight, anyone that opposes the Sainsbury store at AG supports the applicants for a TVG. That includes GF Nogbad and any other poster using this medium for their cause. By supporting the TVG there is a chance the store won't get built.

So there are still different factions supporting each others causes to enhance the chance of their own cause succeeding, this also includes people that are opposed to greenbelt developments anywhere in the region.

And we let them continue their campaigns on our own site, unbelievable.

Very black and white. Clearly not the case, you will get NIMBYs in Ashton Gate and NIMBY's in Ashton Vale, those in Ashton would quite like the stadium in AV, and Those in AV would like the stadium to stay where it is.

Are you suggesting we should set up a secret club where only those in the know can join, and only agree to anything that is 100% in benefit for Bristol City?

For info, I don't live in any of these two areas. But if a family member lived in one of those areas, and it would some how adversely effect there way of life, I would probably disagree with the football club, as my family is more important than Bristol City, if that would be deemed as having a cause so be it, why shouldn't it be heard? We do not live in a communist state!. I don't so I will generally fall on your side Rich. But to suggest Bristol City fans cannot oppose things they disagree with, and do so on this forum, is ridiculous

Redeveloping AG will not bring any corporate/non matchday income to BCFC and that is what we need to start to challenge at the top of this division, an AG redevelopment will be the end for SL.

I don't think most people understand how big AV would be and how much cash it could generate.

BCAGFC

Exactly and this is why we need a new stadium. Southampton have at least 7 restaurants offering corporate facilities for hundreds of people. Like it or not this is where the money is generated these days not thought normal supporters like you or I.

We are doing the objectors to the new stadium a favour with these open discussions on this forum. Any desenting fan that objects to the leaving of AG will post, any objector to the Sainsbury store will post, any supporter for the TVG will post and the objectors will use this perceived dissent as ammunition for their cause. Have we learnt nothing?

It was a discussion re a prospective candidate for Mayor who has support in the form of Colin Sexstone who hardly fits the description of TVG campaigner. Perhaps you should take your concerns to Mr Sexstone!

The reason traditional pubs are shutting right across Bristol is not George Ferguson, its because its three pound and often more a pint!!

Exactly right! And the reason for falling football attendances is the same. Look at the paltry gates for Tuesday games when we've been at home the previous Saturday...

Nothing, absolutely nothing, has gone up as much as the price of a pint and the price of watching a game of football.

Curious that they're both working-class pleasures, isn't it?

Think it's unfair to say we can't have a debate on here about him or that we are playing into the hands of the 'anti stadium' brigade as there have been some valid points. I can't vote for him, as a NSC resident, anyway but having known him for 9 odd years now there are a few things on here that are a little unfairly said about him.

He's had enormous success with the tobacco factory - he didn't buy it for a £1 - he was originally commissioned to be the architect on the building but the owner company went bust. When the administrators put the assets of the company up for sale he put in a bid on the TF more as a token than serious bid and to his surprise nobody else was interested. Since then he's sank half his personal wealth into it and made it very successful. It was essentially a derelict and rotten building 15 years ago. More akin to the sort of thing I like to take photos of (see my sig if you don't get what i mean)

I always used to mention about shirts being worn in the TF bar and it was more his managers saying they shouldn't be seen. You now see not only City shirts in there but away shirts.. I think it's worked well now. I wish they'd ban kids after 7pm though.. used to be a much better boozer 5-6 years ago when without the smoking ban you only got adults in there and not 3 year olds running around screaming. Each to your own though.

He is actively aware of City's results and while I'm not sure he'd be able to tell you who our best midfield pairing is he really does know what's going on - who we are playing, where they are in the league. He's surprised me with his knowledge in the past of things going on at the gate.

Naturally I disagreed with his viewpoint on Sainsbury's but he's entitled to have a view much like any of us. It was the press that always took his words and blew them up to print. I note nobody writes anything about the deli owner who was more vocal on that matter than George and still is.

I doubt many City fans will vote for him but I expect he realises that too - it doesn't mean aside from the AV/Stadium debate that he wouldn't be a bad mayor. He hasn't promised too much in his manifesto and given there are some bleak cutback years ahead for the council I think that's a very sensible idea.

Well written, the £3+ per pint in pubs - due mainly to excessive taxation via successive Lib-Lab-Con governments - is a direct assault on the livelihood of pub landlords and working people like myself that like a pint in the pub.

George Ferguson is getting pretty good rave reviews in this thread but on his downside: he's not Bristolian and he was a Liberal councillor. That written, he's a highly intelligent man that may get things moving for this club but, like many politicians, he could just be using our support as a vehicle to further his own aims and not the aims of this club.

Archived