IGNORED

George Ferguson - Ashton Vale & Bcfc

cider head

As posted on ziderheads.

I have been asked to pass on with George Fergusons permission the following, all points which were included in reply to an e mail to a another fan regarding Ashton Vale etc -

1. I have never spoken out against the new stadium

2. I have shown my support for the club through sponsorship of the scoreboard over of a number of years.

3. I opposed Sainsbury's for local economic and environmental reasons but lost the argument with the planning committee.

4. The decision on Ashton Vale is now a legal one over which no politician can or should have any influence.

5. I have never once mentioned or considered a new stadium at Avonmouth.

6. Plan B is to build a new 30,000 seat stadium at Ashton Gate, keeping it at its historic home, which has been facilitated by SL buying the Hirerite site. This can be done without losing a season's play.

7 .I have great admiration for Steve Lansdown's dedication to BCFC and wish his new Bristol Sport venture well.

8. I enjoyed the recent Millwall match but would have done more so if we'd won!

9. I regard the BCFC as a significant player in the community and long for us to be a Premiership city.

10. Colin Sexstone has recognised that I am the strongest candidate and the mayor most likely to promote Bristol as a City of Sport.

http://www.ziderhead...?showtopic=6472

As posted on ziderheads.

No 6 plan B, what a load of bollox. Sainsburys was in the main part to finance much of the AV development, but dear old George wants SL to spend out on a ridiculous re-development that has very little chance of extra/alternative revenue streams for the club, the man is talking out of his arse again.

As posted on ziderheads.

Many posters on here seem to have missed the point ( no.4) that none of the mayoral candidates would have any say over AV whatsoever.

Ferguson's not against the stadium, he's against a monstrous new Sainsbury's that many more of us would object to were it not facilitating City's move.

The point is if it comes to plan B - and SL has always stated that redevelopment of AG was a viable option and WOULD happen if AV falls through - would Ferguson then use his mayoral powers where possible (LIverpool style) to help City to expand AG, and get on with it quickly?

Sounds to me from the above like he would.

Many posters on here seem to have missed the point ( no.4) that none of the mayoral candidates would have any say over AV whatsoever.

Ferguson's not against the stadium, he's against a monstrous new Sainsbury's that many more of us would object to were it not facilitating City's move.

The point is if it comes to plan B - and SL has always stated that redevelopment of AG was a viable option and WOULD happen if AV falls through - would Ferguson then use his mayoral powers where possible (LIverpool style) to help City to expand AG, and get on with it quickly?

I've not kept up with the George Ferguson saga, hadn't realised until recently his only objection was the Sainsbury's. Having read the publicised stuff, I can associate with some of the 'propaganda' a bit more. However, I don't live and breathe what goes on in Bristol mainly because of my location. I can't make a character judgement etc for this reason.

My initial question is...

How bad can it be to have a mayor who's main business base is so close?

It can only impact positively on the move, he'll either try and support expansion or urge a move elsewhere if he wants rid of us, with his issues closest to his heart Bristol City Football Club will be the biggest business that can affect him.

I think your dreaming there my friend, too many properties owned by too many people and not owned by the council, so can you actually see him or the council backing compulsory purchase orders especially for houses?.

Anyways here's a challenge George come and make your mayoral pitch at half time at the next home game and that way you can gauge the level of support you can count on from BCFC fans.

I can't see what people get vexed about when it comes down to George Ferguson.He was opposed to a megasainsburys on idealogical grounds, many were around BS3. He is not opposed to Ashton Vale and that is it.

Getting down to more important issues if Ashton Vale was built having a BS3 based Mayor could be of real benefit. Local transport to and from the stadium and locally springs to mind. He will hardly wish to see even more congestion in the area.

Interesting sl has actually bought the hirerite site then. I thought that was just rumour. Must have plan b as the new stadium is looking more and more unlikely.

I'm not sure in the scheme of things what difference owning the Hirerite patch will make unless SL can purchase the houses on Ashton road as well

All he's doing here is playing for the vote of the City support IMO.

I asked him his views during the initial stages of the Mayoral election on FB and his reply was that he supported a new stadium but not the location and was against the Sainsbury's application for the AG site. He now appears to have changed tack somewhat as he realises he cannot get the City fans votes with his previous attitude.

Didn't he come up with a plan for the AG site that would have made him tidy shilling or two?

Personally, I don't trust the man but I live outside the city boundaries in Barrs Court so I don't get to make a (very tough) choice next month.

Good luck to all of you that do have to make a decision, rather you than me WTGR.

I think your dreaming there my friend, too many properties owned by too many people and not owned by the council, so can you actually see him or the council backing compulsory purchase orders especially for houses?.

Anyways here's a challenge George come and make your mayoral pitch at half time at the next home game and that way you can gauge the level of support you can count on from BCFC fans.

Yep, I can see CPO's if necessary.

As for support amongst City fans, you might be surprised.

As none of the candidates can influence AV in any way most sensible City fans will simply vote for who they believe to be the best candidate overall to get things done in Bristol.

He's a City fan with businesses based in BS3, he's not against the stadium, he's a very intelligent bloke with a history of getting things done, so what's your problem with him?

Whilst i loved AG, the problem with it is it's old, and getting to and from it (roads etc) are a nightmare. The roads cannot handle that amount of traffic, and parking is abysmal. A new stadium would facilitate this, so for this reason, i'm for a new one, not a redevelopment. Obviously if our appeal to get a new one gets turned down, we have no other real option sadly.

Whilst i loved AG, the problem with it is it's old, and getting to and from it (roads etc) are a nightmare. The roads cannot handle that amount of traffic, and parking is abysmal. A new stadium would facilitate this, so for this reason, i'm for a new one, not a redevelopment. Obviously if our appeal to get a new one gets turned down, we have no other real option sadly.

If SL didn't want to redevelop, given the slowing in our progress on the pitch, I think he can afford to look elsewhere, I know it only take one good season for a promotion but we would be a flash in the pan if we managed it, short term impatience could have a big impact on long term vision.

Of course this all depends on what SL believes is best for the club!

it would be done one stand at a time over 4 seasons thats the only way to redevlop it

The Atyeo can't be made any bigger, the Dolman is big enough.

Development of the Wedlocks into a two tier stand, and the Williams into a two tier stand with corporate boxes is both feasible and possible to achieve a 30K stadium.

Once the shell and roof of each is built seats can be installed and the stands used for watching football, fitting out the interiors can progress separately until finished, and both brought into full use.

Once the shell and roof of each is built seats can be installed and the stands used for watching football, fitting out the interiors can progress separately until finished, and both brought into full use.

It doesn't work like that though does it, if nothing else for health and safety reasons. You would not get a safety certificate with a half completed stand

The Atyeo can't be made any bigger, the Dolman is big enough.

Development of the Wedlocks into a two tier stand, and the Williams into a two tier stand with corporate boxes is both feasible and possible to achieve a 30K stadium.

There is no way on earth we'd be allowed to turn the Wedlock End into a two tiered stand, the houses behind it give no room at all to do so and it would be turned down on planning grounds when the occupants rightly object.The only option there is to do what was originally proposed and make that stand slightly bigger and without pillars though how much of a boost to capacity that will achieve is questionable.The real opportunity is the Williams, which could go back into the existing car park join up at the corners of the Ateyo and new Wedlock, incorporate executive boxes and whatever money making schmeme we choose underneath (exhibition hall for conferences?)

He's a City fan with businesses based in BS3, he's not against the stadium, he's a very intelligent bloke with a history of getting things done, so what's your problem with him?

I'm not convinced George is that much of a fan. My marker is the fact that, initially, the Tobacco Factory banned club colours on matchdays. The guy didn't realise that supporters wearing shirt colours are actually less likely to cause trouble. Add to this the fact that he was willing to argue for something that would cost the club over £20 million, without offering a viable alternative. The sponsoring of the board, well, it's a pretty obvious place to advertise, isn't it?

I do admire his track record in spotting a moderately run-down, yet "up-and-coming" area and offering it a decent bar that supports local produce and can act as a "hub" for theatres, bakers etc. All very good stuff. But I don't think he's shown any evidence that he understands football at all.

I'd go with Marvin Rees for mayor myself. Although I don't live in Bristol either...

Don't rely on a new stadium providing a more pleasant parking experience because it won't.

Parking at most new grounds is a nightmare - note the comments from a Bolton fan on another thread that it can take 90 minutes to exit the car park at The Reebok.

It doesn't work like that though does it, if nothing else for health and safety reasons. You would not get a safety certificate with a half completed stand

Wolves were using their new stand for watching football with limited facilities well before it was completed for the beginning of this season.

A safety certificate means just that, is it safe for use, can people be evacuated in a given time should an emergency occur, if you sit at the back of the dolman how long would it take to get out if an emergency occurred?

If the part required to watch football was completed, entrances, seats, toilets etc the stand could be used while other works continued.

You don't need a bar, food outlet, restaurant etc to watch a game of football.

There is no way on earth we'd be allowed to turn the Wedlock End into a two tiered stand, the houses behind it give no room at all to do so and it would be turned down on planning grounds when the occupants rightly object.The only option there is to do what was originally proposed and make that stand slightly bigger and without pillars though how much of a boost to capacity that will achieve is questionable.The real opportunity is the Williams, which could go back into the existing car park join up at the corners of the Ateyo and new Wedlock, incorporate executive boxes and whatever money making schmeme we choose underneath (exhibition hall for conferences?)

Only a few house actually back onto the EE, there is room for development into what is now the car park.

Those houses also have lengthy gardens so I would not dismiss a two tier stand without first asking the question of planners.

Agree the Willliams is the key to generating additional income, remember we are looking at 30K capacity and the current ground stands at 21k+.

Does anyone have a link to the original planning consent for the redevelopment of the Gate?

Wasn't permission already given for a 2-tier stand at the Wedlock end, when the brick buying scheme thingy etc. There aren't any houses behind the Wedlock to worry about either.

I'm not convinced George is that much of a fan. My marker is the fact that, initially, the Tobacco Factory banned club colours on matchdays. The guy didn't realise that supporters wearing shirt colours are actually less likely to cause trouble. Add to this the fact that he was willing to argue for something that would cost the club over £20 million, without offering a viable alternative. The sponsoring of the board, well, it's a pretty obvious place to advertise, isn't it?

I do admire his track record in spotting a moderately run-down, yet "up-and-coming" area and offering it a decent bar that supports local produce and can act as a "hub" for theatres, bakers etc. All very good stuff. But I don't think he's shown any evidence that he understands football at all.

I'd go with Marvin Rees for mayor myself. Although I don't live in Bristol either...

He does wear red though

Wasn't permission already given for a 2-tier stand at the Wedlock end, when the brick buying scheme thingy etc. There aren't any houses behind the Wedlock to worry about either.

Yes it was then the new stadium plans came about so it did not progress further.

Mock up pictures back then.

http://members.freez...neweastend.html

Eastendnew1.jpg

eastendnew2.jpg

eeups.jpg

View of the houses and EE

eastenbackview.jpg

Archived