IGNORED

Crystal Palace Want Steve Coppell Back As Manager - For A Fifth Time

Bryans Left Peg

What we need is for Palarse to get the Trinity lined up - Colin back as manager, Cop-out as football director and flopping Tango Boy as Chairman and then we really will have some humour back at Ashton Gate gate again when they visit.

They'd probably get Promotion with that line up however much you hate them.

I'd take Colin and Coppell as a Management team here anyday.

It's threads like these that opposing fans must think we are so bitter!

No I wouldn't have him back but Copell was a good manager with palace and Reading we just seemed to either to get to his career at the wrong time or things didn't click. Like others have said at least he did the decent thing and left early.

It's threads like these that opposing fans must think we are so bitter!

No I wouldn't have him back but Copell was a good manager with palace and Reading we just seemed to either to get to his career at the wrong time or things didn't click. Like others have said at least he did the decent thing and left early.

Sod that! This club needs some fire and needs to hate everyone else. Them v us. The problem at Ashton Gate is the complete apathy.

You would have coppell back?

His record is better than any manager we've had. I'd also have Warnock.

Problem with a lot of our fans, they cut off their nose to spite their face.

Good job they aren't running the Club...all this hatred is pathetic.

Anyway... SC would never come back here. Why would he want too?

Freedman, forth in Championship with Palarse and looking good for a shout at promotion to the Premier League and joining the has been’s of Bolton and certain mediocrity, there’s the biggest puzzle.

As for Cop Out, think he’s found his level at Crawley.

His record is better than any manager we've had.

Two games, two losses, out of the first round of the league cup and straight out of the door with an excuse about his mental toughness he recanted the following year while blaming the board.

I know you're talking about his record in general, but still. Anyone who weasels his way out of a contract like that deserves all the shit he gets.

Which is why imho, we'll always be a second rate club.

For some reason i get the impression we play it too safe with Managers and don't employ those who you feel could upset those in charge. Strong characters, not scared to voice their opinion and want to do it their way.

I'm probably way off the mark and wrong...but that's how i've viewed it over the years. Who know's...

Which is why imho, we'll always be a second rate club.

For some reason i get the impression we play it too safe with Managers and don't employ those who you feel could upset those in charge. Strong characters, not scared to voice their opinion and want to do it their way.

I'm probably way off the mark and wrong...but that's how i've viewed it over the years. Who know's...

Nope, your right Spudski. Some fans want to feel as if they are in charge themselves and to be honest, I think the board are too soft. Over the years we have had ' nice managers ' i.e. John Ward, Danny Wilson, Keith Millen etc. When Keith left, the top two candidates were Mark Robins and Del, both very nice blokes.

did he not use retirement as a reason to get out of his contract? if i was SL i would be examining the written exchanges from back then and preparing some very serious legal action if he does go back in, but on the other hand it is probably the "bigger man" thing to just leave it. he has walked out on every single club he has ever been at, if palace want that to happen to them again then thats their call

Nope, your right Spudski. Some fans want to feel as if they are in charge themselves and to be honest, I think the board are too soft. Over the years we have had ' nice managers ' i.e. John Ward, Danny Wilson, Keith Millen etc. When Keith left, the top two candidates were Mark Robins and Del, both very nice blokes.

That's the impression i've had.

I don't know for sure...only from what i've been told from others, but I've been given the impression that our Board and owner, past and present, have wanted to be in total control of everything. To be able to tell the manager what they want, and for him to do it without question.

We've always had managers from lower leagues or starting out. With the exception of Coppell.

You only have to look at the list going back to Alan Dicks time...

Alan Dicks 1967–1980 Bobby Houghton 1980–1982 Roy Hodgson 1982 Terry Cooper 1982–1988 Joe Jordan 1988–1990 Jimmy Lumsden 1990–1992 Denis Smith 1992–1993 Russell Osman 1993–1994 Joe Jordan 1994–1997 John Ward 1997–1998 Benny Lennartsson 1998–1999 Tony Pulis 1999 Tony Fawthrop & David Burnside 2000 Danny Wilson 2000–2004 Brian Tinnion 2004–2005 Gary Johnson 2005–2010 Steve Coppell 2010 Keith Millen 2010–2011 Derek McInnes

There is no one in that list, who at the time, had experience and success at this level or above apart from Coppell.

It's the common denominator imho, as to why this Club always seems to struggle. It's glaring in fact.

Coppell has suggested that he wasn't allowed to get on with it as had been agreed.

For me... I would like us to spend money on a good experienced manager at this level, an old head, who know's the ropes and doesn't see this club as a stepping stone in his career or a place to learn the trade.

Too late now...as imho, Del will be given a long time to do 'his thing'...under the guidance of the board.

I've never understood the reasoning. If the board want success...why give the job to someone who has never experienced it at this level? The one time they do ( Coppell ) he ****s off... that say's something to me. And also backs up things i've been told in the past. Too many times for them to be totally untrue.

That's the impression i've had.

I don't know for sure...only from what i've been told from others, but I've been given the impression that our Board and owner, past and present, have wanted to be in total control of everything. To be able to tell the manager what they want, and for him to do it without question.

We've always had managers from lower leagues or starting out. With the exception of Coppell.

You only have to look at the list going back to Alan Dicks time...

Alan Dicks 1967–1980 Bobby Houghton 1980–1982 Roy Hodgson 1982 Terry Cooper 1982–1988 Joe Jordan 1988–1990 Jimmy Lumsden 1990–1992 Denis Smith 1992–1993 Russell Osman 1993–1994 Joe Jordan 1994–1997 John Ward 1997–1998 Benny Lennartsson 1998–1999 Tony Pulis 1999 Tony Fawthrop & David Burnside 2000 Danny Wilson 2000–2004 Brian Tinnion 2004–2005 Gary Johnson 2005–2010 Steve Coppell 2010 Keith Millen 2010–2011 Derek McInnes

There is no one in that list, who at the time, had experience and success at this level or above apart from Coppell.

It's the common denominator imho, as to why this Club always seems to struggle. It's glaring in fact.

Coppell has suggested that he wasn't allowed to get on with it as had been agreed.

For me... I would like us to spend money on a good experienced manager at this level, an old head, who know's the ropes and doesn't see this club as a stepping stone in his career or a place to learn the trade.

Too late now...as imho, Del will be given a long time to do 'his thing'...under the guidance of the board.

I've never understood the reasoning. If the board want success...why give the job to someone who has never experienced it at this level? The one time they do ( Coppell ) he ****s off... that say's something to me. And also backs up things i've been told in the past. Too many times for them to be totally untrue.

Bob Houghton , took Malmo to a European Cup Final before he came here.

Yes...but from what League.

That's almost like saying i took Barry Town or TNS into Europe from the Welsh league if you get my drift.

This isn't about nit picking... there is a constant throughout about our managers.

No it's not !! He got them to the Final , there's a huge difference. He obviously had some pedigree.

I'd agree that most of the managers appointed have not been succesful here but Wilson had taken Barnsley into the prem , Gary Johnson was a bright prospect who had been touted for bigger things. Joe Jordan , first time round was doing a fantastic job before his head was turned by the prospect of the Scotland job.

Maybe the different boards over the years are the common denominator but I'd say a fair number of our managerial appointments made sense at the time , we all know the exceptions.

Here's a hypothetical for you , Del gets the sack on Monday , who would be your choice of " good experienced manager at this level, an old head, who know's the ropes and doesn't see this club as a stepping stone in his career or a place to learn the trade." ????

Yes...it was said tongue in cheek.

We can nit pick all day about our previous managers...but there is a common denominator.

My point being... we spend big money on players...but how much do we spend on Managers.

For example...the David James appointment went hand in hand with Coppells time.

Why not just spend 'big' money on getting the type of manager i've adhered too.

Bide our time, wait til someone comes available then tap them up.

Play nasty for a change.

Too soft...too nice...this Club is all that the whole way through... a soft touch in the football world.

Yes...it was said tongue in cheek.

We can nit pick all day about our previous managers...but there is a common denominator.

My point being... we spend big money on players...but how much do we spend on Managers.

For example...the David James appointment went hand in hand with Coppells time.

Why not just spend 'big' money on getting the type of manager i've adhered too.

Bide our time, wait til someone comes available then tap them up.

Play nasty for a change.

Too soft...too nice...this Club is all that the whole way through... a soft touch in the football world.

Give me a 'for instance'. I keep reading about what type of manager we need or how Del needs to go, yet nobodies coming up with any names.

Your description "good experienced manager at this level, an old head, who know's the ropes and doesn't see this club as a stepping stone in his career or a place to learn the trade."

Who fits that bill right now , Mick McCarthy , Lennie Lawrence , George Burley , Billy Davies , Phil Brown ? You decide.

Give me a 'for instance'. I keep reading about what type of manager we need or how Del needs to go, yet nobodies coming up with any names.

Your description "good experienced manager at this level, an old head, who know's the ropes and doesn't see this club as a stepping stone in his career or a place to learn the trade."

Who fits that bill right now , Mick McCarthy , Lennie Lawrence , George Burley , Billy Davies , Phil Brown ? You decide.

I've not mentioned 'right now'... just pointed out our history of managers and it's similar pattern.

Personally in the past i would have tapped up someone like Warnock.

I've not mentioned 'right now'... just pointed out our history of managers and it's similar pattern.

Personally in the past i would have tapped up someone like Warnock.

The majority of his success has come at a lower level than we are at now.

I know it's all about opinions , but I honestly believe no matter who the board choose in the future or have in the past someone will moan.

Look at when Del was appointed , no doubt you were in the 'lets go for experience' camp , where as a large % wanted the young dynamic up and coming manager who was not tainted by previous failures.

It's all too easy to say we should do this or that , but we could go out and sign up Harry Redknapp tomorrow and it could all go tits up and everyone would turn round and say he's a washed up has been who's heart has gone out of it (bit like Coppell realy)

The majority of his success has come at a lower level than we are at now.

I know it's all about opinions , but I honestly believe no matter who the board choose in the future or have in the past someone will moan.

Look at when Del was appointed , no doubt you were in the 'lets go for experience' camp , where as a large % wanted the young dynamic up and coming manager who was not tainted by previous failures.

It's all too easy to say we should do this or that , but we could go out and sign up Harry Redknapp tomorrow and it could all go tits up and everyone would turn round and say he's a washed up has been who's heart has gone out of it (bit like Coppell realy)

Of course, I agree it's all about opinions...in the same way our board are only people like ourselves who have chosen to take on a Club. They are the same as us...business people in other walks of life, with a passion for football. They have to make decisions on who is going to be a good manager ( on the football side ) to run the Club for them.

There are no gaurantees in Football...but considering our history...you would think someone would come along and try something different.

You can't keep everyone happy...

Freedman, forth in Championship with Palarse and looking good for a shout at promotion to the Premier League and joining the has been’s of Bolton and certain mediocrity, there’s the biggest puzzle.

Apparently no puzzle whatsoever....Its nearly ALL about the money... He was on 250k at Palarse and is now on 1.4 million at Bolton; I have that on good authority... well.. OK.. thats what they said on Sky Sports as it happens!!

Archived