IGNORED

Stop Blaming The Manager...

spudski

.... Who keeps appointing these managers with little or no experience in this league?

It's so easy to blame the manager...because it's always them that can be moved on.

And it is obvious he doesn't know his best team. Or...is trying to keep everyone happy.

No one likes losing or struggling or watching poor performances everyweek.

But I;m seriously worried for this Club now.

A team low on confidence, full of injuries, relying on loans, fans unhappy and moaning, a manager seemingly struggling to find his best 11, nothing but negative energy around the Club and constant talk about saving money and needing a new stadium to make this Club competitive.

I really do think this current board and previous will rue the day, they gambled on managerial inexperience at this level.

I can see fans leaving by their droves. Money is short...Xmas looms...nothing to look forward too at the Gate.

As for an answer... I haven't got one. Who would want this job?

Something is seriously wrong at this Club.

trouble is last season the manager told us he expected to see us up the top competing and this season the manager said he didn't want to get into another relegation fight and here we are.

Yes... I know...but who keeps appointing these managers with no experience at this level?

It's not rocket science and our history of managers proves this, with very few exceptions.

It really is no suprise...

I really don't blame Dell or KM or any of our previous managers. The buck stops at the top. The top is not the football manager.

If i ran a business and continually employed managers to run it for me in a competitive arena, with no experience at that level...would i be suprised if it failed? No

Yes... I know...but who keeps appointing these managers with no experience at this level?

It's not rocket science and our history of managers proves this, with very few exceptions.

I really don't blame Dell or KM or any of our previous managers. The buck stops at the top. The top is not the football manager.

If i ran a business and continually employed managers to run it for me in a competitive arena, with no experience at that level...would i be suprised if it failed? No

Yep and perhaps we need to keep emphasizing this.I genuinely believe this small club, what more can we expect mentality, given an impressively wealthy owner and the example of the Wigans, Readings, Blackpools, Burnleys, Hulls etc has to stop. We're as small as we want to be. One person doesn't appear to be able to make up his mind, which is entirely his right, but perhaps the time has come, be honest and say so. And if necessary give someone else the opportunity to decide the fate of this club.

I have said many times on this forum that DM is over-rated. He is unproven in England and hasn't done that much in the Scottish leagues either.

If he does go and we look for a new manager i just hope we finally get it right for once.

If we do sack McInnes, we need a nasty little whiner who no one likes, someone like Warnock....I dont want to like our manager paricularly - I just want him to get results.

Therefore, lets go and get Billy Davies.

.... Who keeps appointing these managers with little or no experience in this league?

It's so easy to blame the manager...because it's always them that can be moved on.

And it is obvious he doesn't know his best team. Or...is trying to keep everyone happy.

No one likes losing or struggling or watching poor performances everyweek.

But I;m seriously worried for this Club now.

A team low on confidence, full of injuries, relying on loans, fans unhappy and moaning, a manager seemingly struggling to find his best 11, nothing but negative energy around the Club and constant talk about saving money and needing a new stadium to make this Club competitive.

I really do think this current board and previous will rue the day, they gambled on managerial inexperience at this level.

I can see fans leaving by their droves. Money is short...Xmas looms...nothing to look forward too at the Gate.

As for an answer... I haven't got one. Who would want this job?

Something is seriously wrong at this Club.

On another thread you would be referred to as a 'person I disagree with' for such negativity. I however agree with every word you say!!! I haven't felt this negative about City ever before and believe we are genuinely on the brink of another 9-10 years of lower league oblivion.

but the fans wanted mcinnes half the fans wanted millen the fans wanted coppell the fans wanted rid of johnson

CHARLTON! There is nothing wrong with this bunch of players ....MOTIVATION .........is down to the manager.

Is this why we keep losing cup games!.....PASSION.

Is the board INSPIRATIONAL in the vision of this club that it is feeding to the management.

YES BRISTOL as a city deseves to be on the Premier League football smorgasboard. at ASHTON GATE.

our problem has been a weak midfield and back four since johnson's 3rd season with 3 managers down the like and its not been strengthened,

We are too nice to players Skuse, Fontaine, Carey, Nyatanga, are not good enough for this level but keep getting contracts

I dont know why everyone is having a go at McInness to be honest. We have been so unlucky with injury's since that Peterborough game. I think since Cunningham has been injured its all seem to go down hill.

I think its time we got all behind the team and manager. Chopping and changing the manager every year isnt going to help anyone.

This might sound strange but i am not worried at the moment. we are still a quater of a season through the season we have still got alot of football to play this season if we had this dip in February then yeah i would be worried but we have got loads of time to change it around.

Some fans really need to get behind the team and stop blaming the manager. The atmosphere at the last home game was the worst i ever heard it. US fans can play a big part on Sunday. instead of waiting for the first corner to get singing lets do it from the start..

There is nothing better then a electric atmosphere at the gate.

The problem is we never ever seem to finish the player jigsaw puzzle.

I have to admit I didn't really think we'd see any decent players signed this season, even though we obviously needed some new players. The likes of Cunningham, Baldock and especially Davies was a pleasant surprise but as we have all said a billion times before, what about the defence and midfield.

I really do think we are only 4 players short of having a top half team but unfortunetly these 4 players are going to cost some serious dosh. Forget the usual QUANITY route, it's time for some QUALITY in positions that WE ALL KNOW NEED FILLING.

SL must act in January to bring in at WHATEVER COST a left footed CB, a right footed CB, a CM Hardnut (to wake up the pansies) and that elusive (but costly) CREATIVE CM. What is the point of spending all the money on Cunningham, Baldock and Davies etc but making it counter-productive by not bringing in the players to compliment and finish the jigsaw puzzle

to make it productive.

You don't paint your car,spuce it up, then forget about buying 4 new wheels/tyres, no, YOU FINISH THE JOB!

Oh and forget about FFP for gawds sake, no one else seems to give a stuff about it.

If we getted fined next season then so be it, but it's better to get fined still in the Championship then get relegated.

It wasnt that long ago we were scoring for fun, problem was teams were scoring against us for fun.

Now we give up on the scoring but still concede plenty.

While the manager and his strange selections have panicked and scared about conceding we have forgotten what we were good at, so we should go back to the attacking side and hope the other team miss now and again.

but the fans wanted mcinnes half the fans wanted millen the fans wanted coppell the fans wanted rid of johnson

With respect...what the hell has it got to do with the fans?

We want professional people who know about football to appoint our manager.

I presume our board get in professional help in guiding them into making their choice?

We as supporters are relying on the board to make the right appointments. We have no say. We turn up, pays our money and are expected to back the manager and team...it is blind faith. But that's football....

Our board are obviously astute businessmen, but are they astute at making footballing judgements?

Are they any wiser than any of us at doing this? What makes them so?

I've banged on about this in the past... Just look at our managerial history. Imho...it is the biggest weakness that runs through this club. We have a history with very few exceptions of employing managers with little or no experience of this level or above.

We need an old wise head, someone who has been their and done it at this level. Someone who has achieved.

I don't blame any manager we've had. I'm sure they've done their best. No one wants to lose games.

I put the blame at the top.

As for injuries... I don't think we've been unlucky with them.

If you are playing on the back foot, under pressure all the time, low on confidence, afraid to make a mistake, constantly chasing the game, having to put your body on the line again and again, and you are more often than not average and playing against players that are better than you...then ...injuries will occur.

We as a club have had more injuries over the past two seasons than at any time i can remember.

All during times of battling the drop.

A common theme is occuring.

With respect...what the hell has it got to do with the fans?

We want professional people who know about football to appoint our manager.

I presume our board get in professional help in guiding them into making their choice?

We as supporters are relying on the board to make the right appointments. We have no say. We turn up, pays our money and are expected to back the manager and team...it is blind faith. But that's football....

Our board are obviously astute businessmen, but are they astute at making footballing judgements?

Are they any wiser than any of us at doing this? What makes them so?

I've banged on about this in the past... Just look at our managerial history. Imho...it is the biggest weakness that runs through this club. We have a history with very few exceptions of employing managers with little or no experience of this level or above.

We need an old wise head, someone who has been their and done it at this level. Someone who has achieved.

I don't blame any manager we've had. I'm sure they've done their best. No one wants to lose games.

I put the blame at the top.

As for injuries... I don't think we've been unlucky with them.

If you are playing on the back foot, under pressure all the time, low on confidence, afraid to make a mistake, constantly chasing the game, having to put your body on the line again and again, and you are more often than not average and playing against players that are better than you...then ...injuries will occur.

We as a club have had more injuries over the past two seasons than at any time i can remember.

All during times of battling the drop.

A common theme is occuring.

you will always blame the top as you have an agenda against steve lansdown just like robbo did against Johnson,

I pointed out that the board have given the fans what they wanted at the time,

If you can find a multi millionaire with football knowladge willing to fund the club paying its debts while never getting everything wrong

then by all means buy out lansdown

until then don't bite the hand that feeds you as if you get your way and he walks wave good bye to the club you support

you will always blame the top as you have an agenda against steve lansdown just like robbo did against Johnson,

If you can find a multi millionaire with football knowladge willing to fund the club paying its debts while never getting everything wrong

until then don't bite the hand that feeds you as if you get your way and he walks wave good bye to the club you support

Hold your horses mate...

I do not have an agenda against SL...so you can take that back...

And i really don't understand your logic...who gives a flying twist as to who the fans want as manager.

How dumb is that?

We need a manager who does right for the club...this is not a popularity contest.

I've just pointed out the failings that keep occuring.

You have to blame the top...they make the decisions...it could be whoever...nothing against SL...but he's at the top with his board. End of...

if Del goes I wonder which player will be first in saying "the players have to take the blame"? - yeah you do, like you said last time one, and the one before that etc... etc...

There is something fundamentally wrong with our club, no matter what manager or players we sign, the majority of the time we struggle, nothing really changes.

We swing from one howler to the next - maybe something in the water?

The club's debts have accumulated under SL's tender. The club is basically his club and he therefore at the very, very least heavily influences every decision the club makes in terms of budgets etc. Recent debt has accrued to a great extent in the club's pursuit of a new ground and better facilities, which I am not criticising just reflecting on. If he walks away as you put it, he is walking away from a debt accumulation that he has actively overseen. As for 'biting the hand that feeds', SL is no great altruist, he is a business man and he has speculated to accumulate when City get a new ground and added revenue. Notions that the fans are too blame and not the board, which lets be brutal here are minions of the owner are both farcical and ludicrous. Bottom line is that in the last 4 years, the club and in particular Mr Lansdown snr have made a succession of poorly judged decisions.

The club's debts have accumulated under SL's tender. The club is basically his club and he therefore at the very, very least heavily influences every decision the club makes in terms of budgets etc. Recent debt has accrued to a great extent in the club's pursuit of a new ground and better facilities, which I am not criticising just reflecting on. If he walks away as you put it, he is walking away from a debt accumulation that he has actively overseen. As for 'biting the hand that feeds', SL is no great altruist, he is a business man and he has speculated to accumulate when City get a new ground and added revenue. Notions that the fans are too blame and not the board, which lets be brutal here are minions of the owner are both farcical and ludicrous. Bottom line is that in the last 4 years, the club and in particular Mr Lansdown snr have made a succession of poorly judged decisions.

Spot on...

what interest rate do the club service these debts at?

But its SL who has overseen the debts and agreed to it. Bad decisions over a sustained period, he would not have let it happen at his other business but lets it happen at City. Short sighted "nice" appointments who will never ever challenge him, making him stronger and stronger, the club weaker and weaker and less attractive to others

How about this one into the mix then.

When Anderson, Pitman, James Wilson and a few others and their lack of game time is mentioned, we get the cliched reply 'well the manager sees them day in and day out on the training field'. That's fine but by the same token does the manager see what we see week in week out with players that he stubbornly picks come what may. it is all very well picking players who do all of their homework and bring an apple for the teacher, but sooner or later they will cost you your job, just ask the last 2 headmasters.

Agree with this Spudski. I said on a similarly stated thread that the problem lies deeper in the club. The players (and manager) we have signed were all welcomed as improvements to the squad but it still keeps going wrong. Like I said before, get someone to oversee the running of the whole club from chairman to tea lady to find out whats wrong.

if Del goes I wonder which player will be first in saying "the players have to take the blame"? - yeah you do, like you said last time one, and the one before that etc... etc...

There is something fundamentally wrong with our club, no matter what manager or players we sign, the majority of the time we struggle, nothing really changes.

We swing from one howler to the next - maybe something in the water?

Very true.

One thing that annoys me greatly is players coming out with rubbish lines like 'oh we let the manager down'

Why? why did they?? They are meant to be professionals. If I let my manager down for 6 weeks on the bounce I would be out of a job.

Agree with the OP. The board should be held accountable for alot of poor decisions over the last 4 seasons!! They make the appointments, they make the financial business decisions etc and looks what happened.. running up 11M worth of debt a year. We're in this mess because of them, managers really can only be blamed for on the field tactics/selections and so on but on the pitch surely! If they aint good enough then why appoint them? Why make the same panicky decisions when they havent learnt from previous mistakes?! The fact is and I know people will disagree is that SL may have all this money.. fine but so what? Seriously him and the boards decisions is generally poor at best and it seems that the club is ran very amateurish compared to all other clubs in the Championship and a number of clubs in League 1.. The managers job at AG could well become a revolving door situation, which means more money down the drain and where is the stability??

Read it somewhere but it makes sense, what if Man United sacked Ferguson back in the days when they were struggling? Would they have achieved what they have done to this present day? No, they stuck with him through the bad times and look whats happened. Yes football is more results driven and it seems everyone is craving instant success but it will never happen at AG as nothing is ever settled.

Btw if you who support the board and want to argue what poor and rushed decisions they have made then I'd be happy to oblige but one thing is for sure this club is being ran into the ground by these 'astute' businessmen.

Archived