IGNORED

Matthew Bates

Mr Wendall

Just heard through one of the Football Manager researchers that we may be looking to replace the injured McManus with out of contract (so we can sign him now) Matthew Bates - I dont really know much about him except when he was younger he was pretty highly rated - has he had a bit of a fall from grace now?

Oh god no, quality but shortish center back, the work sicknote was written for him, his knees are completely shot, done his ligaments 2 or 3 times

Given his injury record - 5 serious knee injuries - not even we could be blamed if he got crocked whilst on loan / trial.

You have to hand it to the guy, Others would of given up by now but he wants to keep on playing.

Is this confirmed that he in on trial then?

Nice to see boro_tyke sticking up for us too, as he points out, living in Middlesboro or Bristol.......that would be a tough one!

Some good comments on there, seems to have played an awful lot of football over the last two seasons. Pay as you play, what have we got to lose right now?

A team would have to be in a pretty desperate situation to offer a player with 5 serious knee injuries a contract. But, given we are in a desperate situation and urgently need a defender who can actually defend, I'm all for offering him something pay as you play-related 'til the end of the season and seeing what happens...

I was wondering that, if someone came on here and said Cisee was on trial at say Leyton Orient, they'd be greeted with a few more "sorce?" questions

Layladog1 doesn't appear to give one...

Can anyone find a source?

It's mentioned on the link above by a 'boro fan.

Perhaps Mcmanus suggested it?

It's mentioned on the link above by a 'boro fan.

Perhaps Mcmanus suggested it?

That's the only source i've picked up and http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/boro-fc/boro-fc-news/2012/11/08/boro-and-matthew-bates-agree-to-part-company-84229-32191703/2/

Bates has been linked with Bristol City, where he could link up with former team-mate Steve McManus.

it would be interesting to know nationally how many loan players get injured very early on in their loans?, could it be that they lack match fitness and are thrust into usually struggling teams?, we certainly have a lot of experience of this recently.

I'd imagine there is certainly something in this. Players loaned haven't been playing so will be lacking match fitness/sharpness. In fact i think this subject deserves its own thread.

Archived