IGNORED

Matthew Bates

Mr Wendall

Symphony of the sick notes 5 knee serious knee injuries. For all the posturing about signing players worth there weight we dont have a good record with Sick Notes. See Davies last season, who was appalling among others :/

I presume his knees in themselves won't be an 'issue'; if we were to sign him there'd no doubt be extensive testing to find out if they still work properly. My main concern would be that he's not played or (presumably) trained in the last few months and that even if we signed him today, he won't be an option until after Christmas

I presume his knees in themselves won't be an 'issue'; if we were to sign him there'd no doubt be extensive testing to find out if they still work properly. My main concern would be that he's not played or (presumably) trained in the last few months and that even if we signed him today, he won't be an option until after Christmas

Mowbray quotes in the above link...

'We've enjoyed having him around for the last few months. He's got himself back to the point where he was in full training for the last month, firstly with the young lads and now with the seniors.

"He's at the stage now where he probably needs to play a football match. We did have some discussions, I spoke to him, tried to gauge his thoughts, his plans and his ideas.

"We had talks on a contract, and we were both quite a way apart, and ultimately the decision was made that Matthew would move on. We wish him well"

Mowbray quotes in the above link...

'We've enjoyed having him around for the last few months. He's got himself back to the point where he was in full training for the last month, firstly with the young lads and now with the seniors.

"He's at the stage now where he probably needs to play a football match. We did have some discussions, I spoke to him, tried to gauge his thoughts, his plans and his ideas.

"We had talks on a contract, and we were both quite a way apart, and ultimately the decision was made that Matthew would move on. We wish him well"

I probably should have read the link first.... Doh! Still, if he can pass a medical then I reckon he'll be an asset and I'd be surprised if we took more than a 6 month risk on him

EDIT now I've read it and the forum link, I actually think this would be a great signing. Prior to his most recent (5th!!!) knee injury, he'd made 72 appearances in the last 2 seasons and there seems to be an opinion that he's Bikey-esque in his aerial ability and physique. It's also very telling that prior to the news breaking everyone wanted him back, mainly as cover, and as soon as he turned the contract down he was rubbish, scum and a (bafflingly) "gay sex symbol". Get him signed up I say

I read somewhere he played every game for Boro last season apart from 1?

Could be over his injury probs

According to Wiki he played 37 league and 5 cup games for Boro last season.

"He was rewarded with a great start to the 2011/12 season by winning Player of the Month. On the 27th March 2012, Bates suffered a fifth serious knee injury which will see him out for a period of 6 months. Bates is currently looking for another club."

boro wanted to keep him so he is nop mug, like i said pay as you play or a similar deal to wilson in order for him to prove his fitness should be on the cards,

and lets face it even crippled he's still better then what we have at the back

Seems like he's attracting interest from plenty of teams too: "Southampton,spacer.gif Swansea, Wigan, West Ham, Leeds, Bolton and Hull Cityspacer.gif are all thought to be considering a move for Bates - who can play in defence or midfield" Source -SSN

boro wanted to keep him so he is nop mug, like i said pay as you play or a similar deal to wilson in order for him to prove his fitness should be on the cards,

and lets face it even crippled he's still better then what we have at the back

Yeah agree.

If we can agree that sort of deal it would be ideal. Very good defender IF he can stay fit. The successful partnership of Bates and Rhys Williams was part of the reason McManus could not get a kick at Boro last season.

Easily better than what we have.

Archived