IGNORED

What If.......? 07/08 Season

alexanl1

I was watching the premier leagues greatest moments last night and one of them was derby getting relegated on 11 points, a record! And it got me thinking...what if we'd have won the play off and went up.....how many points do you think we would have gone down on (I'm assuming we wouldve gone straight down)? Do you think we couldve beaten that record!?

I was watching the premier leagues greatest moments last night and one of them was derby getting relegated on 11 points, a record! And it got me thinking...what if we'd have won the play off and went up.....how many points do you think we would have gone down on (I'm assuming we wouldve gone straight down)? Do you think we couldve beaten that record!?

we would of put up more of a fight under johnson imo, but we would of done a hull and go down and be at least mid table now, I think if we did go up the ground would of gone ahead quicker too,

The final position would, in part, have depended on the type on new players Johnson would have brought in. This is where I think it would have gone wrong as, from memory, he was talking of getting a few foreign players. This was not his strong point and I fear we would have got a few more like Peter Styvar / Álvaro Saborío.

I think Johnson was a fantastic lower league manager, good at Championship level, but would have been found out in the Premier League.

The final position would, in part, have depended on the type on new players Johnson would have brought in. This is where I think it would have gone wrong as, from memory, he was talking of getting a few foreign players. This was not his strong point and I fear we would have got a few more like Peter Styvar / Álvaro Saborío.

I think Johnson was a fantastic lower league manager, good at Championship level, but would have been found out in the Premier League.

There was talk at the time we were after the lad Xisco , who ended up at Newcastle !!

We were a whisker away.

If we had been as ruthless as stoke with getting more loans in on the run in we would have been there.

They got a small fine the following season as a result, which is peanuts compared to the massive increase in revenue streams.

Not bad for a club that is constantly criticised for playing sh1te football with a manager who has all of the charisma of a brick.

We were a whisker away.

If we had been as ruthless as stoke with getting more loans in on the run in we would have been there.

They got a small fine the following season as a result, which is peanuts compared to the massive increase in revenue streams.

Not bad for a club that is constantly criticised for playing sh1te football with a manager who has all of the charisma of a brick.

We should have went after Kevin Phillips. He wanted a 2 year deal and WBA would only offer 1. If we'd have steamed in with an offer..................who knows ?

What if's...what if's...

Would SL have kept with GJ?

Would SL have poured money into Premier League players?

Would we pay the wages?

Tbh...imho, we were never ready to go up.

As the Club are finding out now...we never had the backroom staff, Scouting system, Academy set up, quality, etc,etc,etc...to achieve anything back then. At least they are addressing that now.

I believe if we had gone up and down again, we would probably be worse off than we are now.

Blessing in disguise imho.

In reality it is highly likely we would have come straight back down, but I don't think we would have embarrassed ourselves and I certainly think we would have got alot more then Derby's pathetic points total.

That squad had fantastic team spirit and some great characters. When we'd have received some of the inevitable thrashings that new teams take in that division I think we would have come back stronger the next week rather than Derby who simply got on a cycle that in the ened it was pointless them even turning up for games.

What if's...what if's...

Would we pay the wages?

As the Club are finding out now...we never had the backroom staff, Scouting system, Academy set up, quality, etc,etc,etc...to achieve anything back then. At least they are addressing that now.

I believe if we had gone up and down again, we would probably be worse off than we are now.

spot on. we're not done yet but when everything's in place and the improvements have been made we're going to be in a much stronger position to challenge, if we did get there, we'd have a better chance of staying there.

What if's...what if's...

Would we pay the wages?

Good post,

thats slowly changing the coaching and youth team set ups has improved alot, we need to sort the scouting out now and I suspect that will be done soon

What if's...what if's...

Would we pay the wages?

Possibly , but everyone on here seems sure that the Premier League dream is what Lansdown really wants.

Who's to say that once we got there, he wouldn't have made a vast amount of money available to strengthen all areas of the club?

As you say it's all ifs and buts.

Well, considering it was the season that Stoke also went up, then I guess that they are a realistic reference for how things might be, had they gone really well.

I dislike Stoke with a passion, especially with that horrible **** Pulis in charge, but I certainly do envy them and what they have achieved at exactly the same point in time as we fell so agonisingly short :(

Lansdown said at the time that the £30mil prize money would have all gone towards the team had we gone up.

I thought it was £60m when we were in the playoff final?

Either way our finances would have been boosted significantly but I have a feeling that GJ may have spent inflated fees and wages on players that ended up not being good enough to keep us up and then we'd end up doing a Portsmouth.

Possibly , but everyone on here seems sure that the Premier League dream is what Lansdown really wants.

Who's to say that once we got there, he wouldn't have made a vast amount of money available to strengthen all areas of the club?

As you say it's all ifs and buts.

True... But imho, I think it's only in retrospect that SL and the board have found we are wanting behind the scenes. It's taken them this long to see it.

All well and good giving however many £million to GJ... would he have known what to do with it, and how to perform in that League?

As SL has said before...he became way too close to GJ and let his heart rule his head.

If it were me, I would have been ruthless. Said, thanks very much for getting us here, but now i need a manager who knows what he's doing in this league.

What beggars belief, is that fans...just fans of the Club, have been pointing out our downfalls for years.

The Scouting, Acadamy, Coaching, Managers, certain weaknesses in the team, jobs for the boys, drinking culture etc,etc, yet it's only being sorted now. How can that be?

And why did it take a pretty much unknown Scotts manager to sort it out... unless the board paid someone to come in and point out the problems.

Sometimes when you're working day to day in it...you just don't see the wood for the trees.

Since SL has stepped away...things are changing. Perhaps he needed to do that, to see it from the outside and not be so emotionally involved.

I miss him as a figurehead... but I think it's good what he's done recently.

just need Del to sort the first team out now.

True... But imho, I think it's only in retrospect that SL and the board have found we are wanting behind the scenes. It's taken them this long to see it.

All well and good giving however many £million to GJ... would he have known what to do with it, and how to perform in that League?

As SL has said before...he became way too close to GJ and let his heart rule his head.

If it were me, I would have been ruthless. Said, thanks very much for getting us here, but now i need a manager who knows what he's doing in this league.

What beggars belief, is that fans...just fans of the Club, have been pointing out our downfalls for years.

The Scouting, Acadamy, Coaching, Managers, certain weaknesses in the team, jobs for the boys, drinking culture etc,etc, yet it's only being sorted now. How can that be?

And why did it take a pretty much unknown Scotts manager to sort it out... unless the board paid someone to come in and point out the problems.

Sometimes when you're working day to day in it...you just don't see the wood for the trees.

Since SL has stepped away...things are changing. Perhaps he needed to do that, to see it from the outside and not be so emotionally involved.

I miss him as a figurehead... but I think it's good what he's done recently.

just need Del to sort the first team out now.

He said when he stepped away that his heart made to many calls instead of his business head,

In other words he had failed and took a back seat while trying to employ people to get it right, the first season it didn't happen and Sexston was moved on,

This season its keith Dawe and to be fair he's only chairman to groom Young Jon Lansdown into the role

We were a whisker away.

Maybe, but that assumes that signings = success. Although it's never possible to know what might have happened if x, y or z, it is true to say our form declined that season after the transfer window and the signings of Adebola and Carle.

It's possible that putting them in the team actually unbalanced things somewhat and that we might have been better off continuing with the existing setup. Impossible to say but it's happened before - remember Newcastle with Asprilla?

I remember reading a piece on GJ the day before Wembley, he was saying how he would stick with the team that got them to the Prem if they went up.

I'm sure he would of made signings, but that statement had me a bit worried, the saying "be careful what you wish for" was running through my mind walking up Wembley way.

GJ wasn't a shrewd enough tactical manager to make it in the prem, and if we had brought in higher quality players he would have struggled.

Don't forget towards the end of his time, we were playing terrible footie as well.

Anyway, it would have been a straight back down scenario, probably bottom, but **** it, along the way we would have made some bunch of overpaid ******* look shit, and that would have made it all worth it. Plus that ******* **** Lardass wouldn't have been able to celebrate, Christ alive I hated him before the game and even more after. Frankly, the rest of the Hull side and the fans I felt quite positive about, but he was a gold-plated shit sucker and I laughed my balls off when he didn't kick a ball in the prem.

Archived