IGNORED

What Music Are You Currently Listening To

bcfcbs20

Love the Pixies, I had a respectful Lou Reed week last week, which sort of lead me into a David Bowie fest today whilst decorating and I had an epiphany, I have always believed that the albums 'the man who sold the world' and 'space oddity' were not worthy in the same way that classics like "hunky dory' and 'Ziggy Stardust' were, but having re-visited them today, they are both well worthy albums, the fest is still in full flow either Aladdin Sane or Diamond dogs next.

Re the Pixies, only got to see them once first time around, so somewhat excited to see them again.  Last time I was at the Olympia, it was to see the Specials, so the venue has good form for me.

Re Bowie, to be fair, his output from Hunky Dory through to Lodger is pretty spectacular, and takes an album of some quality to stack up against those.  Have stuck Hunky Dory on now.

Anyone like Kurt Vile? I was put off by what I saw as a silly made-up name, but it turns out that it is his real name (poor sod!) and his music is a sort of classic American singer-songwriter tracing a line of heritage from Neil Young and Lou Reed's more melodic moments via Elliot Smith, but with a better voice than all of those.

Anyone like Kurt Vile? I was put off by what I saw as a silly made-up name, but it turns out that it is his real name (poor sod!) and his music is a sort of classic American singer-songwriter tracing a line of heritage from Neil Young and Lou Reed's more melodic moments via Elliot Smith, but with a better voice than all of those.

Yeah I stumbled across him while on Spotify, was listening to the Deerhunter radio where they pick up tracks similar and Kurt Vile came up so checked out the album Constant Hitmaker.. really good album.

One of my albums of the year is 'Walking On A Pretty Daze'

You should check out his former/occasional band 'The War On Drugs' too; their last album 'Slave Ambient' was actually Vile-less but their somewhere between him and Arcade Fire

I've been reticent to post on here because basically I'm a massive music snob and have already judged you all on the basis of your musical tastes (to bcfcbs20 who said "I don't know what I'd do without house music": the answer is "listen to decent tunes"- that feels good to say) but as its nearly Christmas, I'll treat you ;-)

My album of the year is 'Silence Yourself' by Savages- brutal, femme-punk with awesome riffs. Just behind that is the aforementioned Kurt Vile, 'The Graceless Age' by John Murry, Reflektor by Arcade Fire, AM by Artic Monkeys (a big return tk form and Push The Sky Away by Nick Cave (the latter primarily for the track Jubilee Street which is track of the year by miles)

If we're talking best of all time, its Oxford's finest Radiohead; no other band has in my opinion produced such consistent brilliance over so many albums. My top 3 of theirs is probably Kid A, OK Computer, In Rainbows

Well there is always this....... Mott ....... Storm..... I wil always thank the gits that went to see Mott at the B'mth Winter Gardens back in the day, but never mentioned the gig to me

So I did not get to see them....... they did but I didn't!

This was 'Mott The Hoople' after they dropped or Ian Hunter dropped' Mott The Hoople'........ they were a fine band  and some went on to be 'British Lions' and 'Bad Company' enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDCbLTuMxL8

I recall that the band leader of some band  I was playing with back in the 80's had a chat with 'Morgan Fisher' the keyboard player, who was doing some gig or summer season  at Blackpool back in the 80's........ it was really a case of how the mighty have fallen(?)....... this might not be true but I remember that the converstion regarding the event and have no reason to disbelieve it.

I have since been in contact with Morgan Fisher and he really is a great guy :)

My first post on here. Might be regarded as a bit old and farty but as a young kid I remember my Mum playing this over and over.

Every time I listen to it it is as good as the first time.

Fleetwood Mac and Peter Green's Man of the world. Green was an absolute genius.

My first post on here. Might be regarded as a bit old and farty but as a young kid I remember my Mum playing this over and over.

Every time I listen to it it is as good as the first time.

Fleetwood Mac and Peter Green's Man of the world. Green was an absolute genius.

IMO Peter Green was the greatest guitarist to walk the planet and as blues albums the first 2 albums are as good as anything ever recorded, truly amazing band until PG lost his tips and man of the world was probably an ignored cry for help, below is all time favourite FM track, brings back loads of memories this one.

Archived