IGNORED

What Music Are You Currently Listening To

bcfcbs20

This is the new track I can't get out of my head. One of the best bands to come out of the states in years, playing a few gigs in May, though only Manchester, Glasgow and London I think

I can also thoroughly recommend their last album, Slave Ambient, as one of the best albums of recent years

London Grammar are quality.

Public Service Broadcasting are an interesting band too - like Paul Hardcastle's 19 but World War 2.

I know music is all about opinions, but I find PSB to just be one big gimmick. One of my best mates is into them in a big way, but I really don't get it

I know music is all about opinions, but I find PSB to just be one big gimmick. One of my best mates is into them in a big way, but I really don't get it

A lot of music is a gimmick though init?

Think the manics early doors - we're going to make one record then split.  20 odd years later they are still stumbling on. Their last song what I heard was one big ****ing turd.

A lot of music is a gimmick though init?

Think the manics early doors - we're going to make one record then split. 20 odd years later they are still stumbling on. Their last song what I heard was one big ****ing turd.

Don't get me started on The Manic Street Preachers... Have you ever seen that documentary from when they went to Cuba to play a gig and they sat in a press conference drinking cans of Pepsi and banging on about how much they admire Castro's stand against globalisation and big corporations, while government troops were forcing people on to buses to go and watch a band they'd never heard of leading no doubt to loss of earning for some and, worse still, all of them having to listen to the Manic Street ******* Preachers. The horror...

A year later the Super Furry Animals did something similar, but they just booked into an all inclusive resort, got pissed and went busking, ostensibly achieving the same end

I don't mind as much when bands use a gimmick to sell their music, I just don't like it when the music itself is the gimmick. Like I said though, music is highly subjective and everyone has opinions.... they're just not as right as my opinions ;-)

Don't get me started on The Manic Street Preachers... Have you ever seen that documentary from when they went to Cuba to play a gig and they sat in a press conference drinking cans of Pepsi and banging on about how much they admire Castro's stand against globalisation and big corporations, while government troops were forcing people on to buses to go and watch a band they'd never heard of leading no doubt to loss of earning for some and, worse still, all of them having to listen to the Manic Street ******* Preachers. The horror...

A year later the Super Furry Animals did something similar, but they just booked into an all inclusive resort, got pissed and went busking, ostensibly achieving the same end

I don't mind as much when bands use a gimmick to sell their music, I just don't like it when the music itself is the gimmick. Like I said though, music is highly subjective and everyone has opinions.... they're just not as right as my opinions ;-)

Not seen the documentary, but I was actually at that gig (Karl Marx Theatre in Havana.) First night of the world tour for Know Your Enemy, I think.  Quite an interesting night, and probably the only time in my life I'll be at the same event as Fidel.

Not seen the documentary, but I was actually at that gig (Karl Marx Theatre in Havana.) First night of the world tour for Know Your Enemy, I think. Quite an interesting night, and probably the only time in my life I'll be at the same event as Fidel.

Wow! As much as I dislike the Manics, that is pretty cool. I'm going to guess that mine and your opinion on the band differs?!

Wow! As much as I dislike the Manics, that is pretty cool. I'm going to guess that mine and your opinion on the band differs?!

Like some of their stuff, but not my favourite band by any stretch.  That said, Cuba is a short hop from here, so the chance to see a Western band in Havana was too good to pass up.

Hassle for us was getting tickets:  equivalent of 25 pence to locals, not available on the open market to foreigners:  in the end, we got ours through the couple who owned the house we stayed at:  they had to go through the British embassy, who in turn went through the Cuba ministry of culture.

Pink Floyd have above all other have been the group that have always been top of my playlists. I could discuss Floyd all day long. This track "Echoes" was from the less well known Meddle album of 1971 and was recorded live at Pompeii in 72. Its probably the track that brings back the strongest memories of sitting around chilling with my mates. Too many outstanding Floyd tracks to say it's my favourite but it's right up there. It's 24 minutes long.

http://youtu.be/PGwPSPIhohk

Got into Pink Floyd in last couple of years

Love dark side of moon and wish you were here, couple of tracks on the wall also great but hasn't quite hooked me like the other two

haven't really gone or the previous/subsequent albums yet.

What would you recommend next Rich?

tempted to try and get tickets to watch australian Pink Floyd at colston hall this year as i hear they are really good, and seems unlikely il get to see the real deal

Got into Pink Floyd in last couple of years

Love dark side of moon and wish you were here, couple of tracks on the wall also great but hasn't quite hooked me like the other two

haven't really gone or the previous/subsequent albums yet.

What would you recommend next Rich?

tempted to try and get tickets to watch australian Pink Floyd at colston hall this year as i hear they are really good, and seems unlikely il get to see the real deal

What really amazes me is that it was the 40th anniversary of the release of Dark Side of The Moon last year. That album is a complete masterpiece. Wish you were here was what got me into Floyd. I remember the first time of hearing it. Sat with a mate in his Ford Anglia on Weston sea front and he put this tape in. Wow!

Oddly enough I'm not a huge fan of The Wall. Some lovely tracks (hey you, comfortably numb) but it has Roger Waters (bassist) angst all over. The same could be said for the album The Final Cut, which again was heavily influenced by Waters. I quite liked The Final Cut but not heard it in years .

To be honest you probably picked out the two classic albums and it's difficult to say what you may like because their styles evolved. The album The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967) is very influenced by the time but more so by founder member Sydney Barrett's influence. It's nothing like Wish you were Here or Dark side of the moon though. A particular favourite of mine is Animals, which lyrically is good listening but again nothing like the two you like. Many people really like the same two you do and do not get into anything else.

I've heard the Aussie Pink Floyd are pretty good. There's a rumour doing the rounds as recently as yesterday that Pink Floyd could get together for a concert in aid of charity. Sadly Richard Wright (keyboardist ) died about 4 or 5 years back so for me it would really feel odd without him there.

I was lucky enough to see Floyd live at Wembley in 88, a beautiful sunny evening. It was amazing.

I'll stop here because I could ramble all day.

Archived