IGNORED

10 Years Ago Today...

Lew-T

2002-03 season - 10 years ago. and amazing at how the clubs in the "third tier" of football have fared since then.

5 of them we play this season; Cardiff, P'boro', Blackpool, Barnsley & Huddersfield. Two more, Wigan & QPR are currently in the Prem whilst , Stockporrt, Luton & Mansfield are in the Conference. The finishing sequence was;

Wigan - champions & Crewe promoted. City, QPR, Oldham & Cardiff in the playoffs with 6th placed Cardiff going up.

Mid table - Tranmere, Plymouth, Luton, Swindon, P'boro' Colchester, Blackpool, Stockport, Notts Co, Brentford, Vale, Wycombe, Barnsley & Chesterfield.

Relegated were - Cheltenham, Huddersfield, Mansfield & Northampton.

How many more years until Crewe finish two places above QPR and four above Cardiff?

I've dug out my notes for that season;

During the summer of 2002 ten players left City; Tony Thorpe went on a free transfer to Luton and Steve Robinson followed him for £50,000, whilst Steve Jones was released, as were seven youth and reserve players. Nationally, over 600 players were released by their cash stricken clubs.

The first round of the FA Cuphad been a 7-0 romp at Heybridge. The most memorable game though was in the league at Mansfield. 4-2 down with three minutes to go, City won 5-4! Many people put the player’s mental toughness down to a sports psychologist the club had employed.

Hmm; is that psychologist still available?

**** me, is that game on YouTube, etc?

The Heybridge one was hilarious, everyone was going "ooh, banana skin" and we mullered them... :banana:

Like that time we played St Albans and rattled in 5 before half time (final score: 9-2). Mate of mine lived there and she said the next time the team played, when their opponents scored, all their fans started chanting "We want 9!!!" :yahoo:

2002-03 season - 10 years ago. and amazing at how the clubs in the "third tier" of football have fared since then.

5 of them we play this season; Cardiff, P'boro', Blackpool, Barnsley & Huddersfield. Two more, Wigan & QPR are currently in the Prem whilst , Stockporrt, Luton & Mansfield are in the Conference. The finishing sequence was;

Wigan - champions & Crewe promoted. City, QPR, Oldham & Cardiff in the playoffs with 6th placed Cardiff going up.

Mid table - Tranmere, Plymouth, Luton, Swindon, P'boro' Colchester, Blackpool, Stockport, Notts Co, Brentford, Vale, Wycombe, Barnsley & Chesterfield.

Relegated were - Cheltenham, Huddersfield, Mansfield & Northampton.

How many more years until Crewe finish two places above QPR and four above Cardiff?

I've dug out my notes for that season;

During the summer of 2002 ten players left City; Tony Thorpe went on a free transfer to Luton and Steve Robinson followed him for £50,000, whilst Steve Jones was released, as were seven youth and reserve players. Nationally, over 600 players were released by their cash stricken clubs.

The first round of the FA Cuphad been a 7-0 romp at Heybridge. The most memorable game though was in the league at Mansfield. 4-2 down with three minutes to go, City won 5-4! Many people put the player’s mental toughness down to a sports psychologist the club had employed.

Hmm; is that psychologist still available?

Interesting that only 8 of 24 teams are in a better position now than they were 10 years ago.

Was on a stag weekend with a mix of city and gas fans... couldnt believe what we were hearing was trying to talk to a city fan at the game but all we could hear was fans going mad and didnt have a clue what was going on!!!needless to say they were smiling one minute but we had the last laugh and the extra beer!!

Ali D's commentary.. still makes me smile

http://audioboo.fm/boos/1071531-mansfield-2002

Despite all that has gone on since I still can't remember a game like that... unbelievable feeling when the 5th went in. Remember getting abuse outside the ground as we left and being called cheating bastards.. this from fans of the team with 10 men and who, at 4-4, threw the ball to the back of the stand to try and waste time. I'm convinced the ref would have already blown up had they not done that and we'd never be talking about ten years on.

The Heybridge one was hilarious, everyone was going "ooh, banana skin" and we mullered them... :banana:

Like that time we played St Albans and rattled in 5 before half time (final score: 9-2). Mate of mine lived there and she said the next time the team played, when their opponents scored, all their fans started chanting "We want 9!!!" :yahoo:

I remember the Heybridge game. They had a guy called Jamie playing on the left wing who nearly put one past Phillips early on. He was getting a lot of abusive banter form us City fans and he took it realy well. After half time he started on the right. It was as if their usual right winger had heard the first half abuse and didn't want it in the second half.

I was at that game. I was living in Lancaster at the time and had been visiting my sister in Oxford. I decided Mansfield was sort of on the way back so I took a detour. By the time their 4th goal went in I was seriously regretting the decision and contemplating leaving early to get back home. It was the first and last time I ever contemplated leaving a City game early.

Also, does anyone remember the warm-up when a small girl was pole-axed by a wayward strike from future England 'keeper Ben Foster? To his credit he was very concerned for her.

I copped a right bollocking for nearly squeezing the life out of my heavily pregnant (ex) wife when 4 and 5 went in!

As lots have said, Heybridge the following week and then we had a live tv game with Cardiff on 15th Dec and done those bastards - was a good few weeks to be a City fan. The day after the Cardiff game my eldest was born, can't believe she's 10 in a few weeks

Getting old!

I was at that game. I was living in Lancaster at the time and had been visiting my sister in Oxford. I decided Mansfield was sort of on the way back so I took a detour. By the time their 4th goal went in I was seriously regretting the decision and contemplating leaving early to get back home. It was the first and last time I ever contemplated leaving a City game early.

Also, does anyone remember the warm-up when a small girl was pole-axed by a wayward strike from future England 'keeper Ben Foster? To his credit he was very concerned for her.

I remember the bloke on crutches who got pushed over the advertising hoardings when the first goal melle ensued and promptly got chucked out I think. It was a pretty fiesty atmosphere in the ground that day despite the relatively low attendance (was it about 5-6k?)

What I remember about that is Dolman A and Atyeo F blocks staying behind to applaud them off the pitch, when they came back from greeting their own fans. Instead of putting 11 behind the ball and kicking everything that moved, they came out to play football :)

Wasn't it 6-0 at HT, BTW?

Mansfield 4-5 Bristol City

The best game I've ever watched supporting City. Was only a kid at the time, brilliant day!

remember one of the pitch invasions got carried away and temporarily lost sight of me 5 year old boy who jumped on with me thought he'd been nicked as stewards seemed happy ejecting or getting people nicked for not alot bit like bolton the other week

didnt we beat em 5-3 at home or sommat too?

Just before we got the 5th goal, the ball went into the crowd and we got a throw in but the Mansielf fan that caught the ball decided to try and launch it to the back of the stand. The 10 seconds or so that it took to get the ball back gave us just enough time to bang in another.

Many thanks that man.

What about the Chichester game! 11 - 0 Even their goalie was laughing when he took the ball the eleventh time from the back of the net.

Archived