IGNORED

Bring In Steve Kean....

The Humble Realist

Would love Hoddle, but we need to be realistic! Still think Dennis Wise would kick ass!

Realistic in terms of accepting that Hoddle would do a rubbish job? I agree if so.

Anecdote and rumour suggests he struggles to adapt to working with players less technically gifted than himself. Not sure how that'd work in our squad...

I can't imagine Steve Lansdown rushing in to any decision ... think the last three managers:

Steve Coppell - Big name, great reputation = disaster

Keith Millen - Inside club appointment = disaster

Derek Mcinnes - Promising and sought after young manager = disaster

Add to that an expensively assembled, highly paid and incredibly under performing squad and I would be thinking very carefully about any new appt.

Basically I do not think there is anyway that he is going to fund a complete rebuild of this squad ( which is needed) so anyone coming in would have to work with what they've got plus one or two possibly.... that shortens the queue.

Of all the mentioned candidates Paulo Di Canio would be the best in my opinion but why would he want to leave a Swindon team that could well change places with us?

I think given all this and the fact that we are only two points from safety means there is a very good chance he will stick with McIness and he will still be manager in May whatever league we end up in for next season.

• Admin

Would people be happy with Danny Wilson back as manager? I think it would be an improvement

No, lets not go back, although I say that with one exception, Jordan. If the board were to sack McInnes, then perhaps its time to splash out and tempt a proven Manager, not necessarily one out of work.

No, lets not go back, although I say that with one exception, Jordan. If the board were to sack McInnes, then perhaps its time to splash out and tempt a proven Manager, not necessarily one out of work.

I agree but with a million pound striker sat on the bench and a £600 000 striker on 'loan' at Bournemouth will SL feel like splashing out - whatever the consequences of not doing that?

I said exactly that earlier in this thread! Surely the cheap option would be appointing a manager out of work... and why are they out of work? Because, 9 out of 10 have failed elsewhere and got the boot... Therefore the right option would be to appoint a proven manager, in work! Being able to do so, a completely different ball game!

Anyway, we have DM atm, and whilst he is still in charge -whatever SL's decision is- I will be backing him whilst he's here.

If I'm honest, I'm tired of us shopping at Lidl, even if the club is in debt it is important we keep championship football in Bristol. Attracting a proven big named manager will only attract more big names and so on. If we need want to put ourselves on the map again, lets start shopping for better quality!

Sacking Derek is not the answer as I can't see who could replace him and improve things. He is having to work with amateurs who no nothing about running a football club. And although I don't rate some of his signings, he's had his hands tied from day one and was always the cheap option that was expected to produce miracles out of nothing.

+1

When Del came in people on here were saying we should have gone for Dave Jones cos he's proven at this level.....well look where Sheff Weds are??

I really wanted it to work for Del.

Not sure who would be instantly better which is what people demand, but if Del does go at least someone like Billy Davies would show plenty of passion on the touch line and he has won promotion from this div before.

But there's just no guarantees!

I wouldn't get too down on Dave Jones just yet, his record is still far better at Wednesday than Mcinnes' at Bristol City and the teams they have lost to have mostly been to top half teams at times that their opposition have been in form. Their next game is Cardiff and then it's us and in all honesty I can see them beating us meaning we'd still be in a worse position than his team and we'd have a manager with a poorer record too.

We are obviously not ambitious enough to make sacking McInnes actually pay in the long run, sacking him and replacing him with some of the candidates mentioned here will only serve to keep the rot going longer - and keep those actually responsible safe behind the scenes of yet another sacrificial lamb.

If money were to be spent then yeah, sack McInnes. But it isn't, not in any really meaningful amount so we are gonna have to take our medicine for having such a poorly run club at levels above the Manager.

And no, this is not a snipe at Lansdown but those faceless senior members whose faces we NEVER see

This is what worries me, the issue isn't with the manager or the players, it's with the club and the club has a good record of sacrificing managers whilst sparing those who are a much bigger issue and lie deeper in the roots of the club.

Without wishing to start an argument:

With no resource and no support he nearly kept Blackburn in the prem.

look where Blackburn have gone since he went.

Look at the way they played against us (at our best) earlier in the season.

Anyway, he wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea but we are all entitled to a view.

excellent post could be a lot worse than steve keen out there

Interesting to read people seeing Kean as a realistic possibility despite the title of the thread clearly being a joke. I personally think that the bloke has a lot to prove, and I think it was a great show of strength how his head never dropped when he had most the people in the stadium saying 'Kean out!' and was actually relieved of his duties at Blackburn when they were just hitting their stride, (Blackburn were in 3rd place when he was sacked and are now 12th).When they played us in September I thought they played tidy stuff. I obviously back Del while he is still here but were he to leave I would prefer Kean over the usual Davies, Jewell, Burley etc who have all failed at this level wheras you could say that Kean was succeeding at this level.

NO. Part of the reason we are in this mess is that he didn't invest in youth and renew the squad.

Exactly. Johnson did some great things for us but we were a team in decline when he left and many of the problems we've got now have their roots in him spending high wages on players that didn't work out whilst not managing to build an effective youth set-up.

Interesting to read people seeing Kean as a realistic possibility despite the title of the thread clearly being a joke. I personally think that the bloke has a lot to prove, and I think it was a great show of strength how his head never dropped when he had most the people in the stadium saying 'Kean out!' and was actually relieved of his duties at Blackburn when they were just hitting their stride, (Blackburn were in 3rd place when he was sacked and are now 12th).When they played us in September I thought they played tidy stuff. I obviously back Del while he is still here but were he to leave I would prefer Kean over the usual Davies, Jewell, Burley etc who have all failed at this level wheras you could say that Kean was succeeding at this level.

It is hard for any manager to take a club back up again after having just been relegated (unless your Darren Ferguson)

Archived