IGNORED

Our Demise...

spudski

... is purely down to not appointing proven managers with experience and knowledge at this level imho.

I've said it many times in various threads before... but until we get that proven manager, then i'm afraid we are just going to go backwards.

It's all very well gambling with unproven managers or managers that are seen to have potential, but you have to have some stability in place for them to work with. A good backbone to the team.

We've not had that for a long time and we can't seem to attract people for the places that need addressing.

You can have as many fancy dan wingers and forwards as you like, but without that backbone and direction you're going nowhere.

Unfortunately the board and SL have gambled with the unproven Millen and Delboy and allowed the latter to imprint his ideas throughout the club.

I understand the infrastructure and Acadamy at the Club are in a far healthier position, but it seems that whatever Del trys with the first team, we take one step forward and two steps back.

I don't have the answer, and i feel for SL and the board, but after all these gambles that haven't worked, I would like to think they could find that proven manager and try a different route.

Someone who could come in and take what we have by the scruff of the neck and attract the players we need.

We seem to be collecting players again who are just a drain or either been around too long and/or are not up to scratch or surplus because we have too many in that position.

The players i would put in those catagory's are:

Foster, M Wilson,Fontaine, Nyatanga,Carey, Kilkenny, Stead, Woolford, Pitman,Morris,Anderson and Elliot... now that's a lot of players.

Also a reliance on Loans has been a huge setback over the past two seasons.

You cannot build a team around loans. Players coming and going and knowing they are using this club as a springboard to further their careers is not good for morale.

You have to wonder how the likes of Watford, Millwall and Palace can do what they're doing and we can't.

Personally... I would love to have a mix of foreign talent and British grafters in our team.

Some Spanish or Italian flair in midfield and at fullback. People who are comfortable on the ball.

I'm sure everyone has their different opinions, as we all seem to be armchair managers :laugh:...

I'd be interested to know peoples ideas and thoughts...

What would you do?

I've said it many times in various threads before... but until we get that proven manager, then i'm afraid we are just going to go backwards.

I think you are right in much of what you say but there are so many 'proven' managers that fail or can only succeed with a large budget. Dave Jones perhaps being the latest example. So when we look for a 'proven manager is needs to be one who can get success 'on the cheap' by dealing effectively in the transfer market and blooding young players. The likes of Warnock and Holloway can do that and spot a bargain from the lower leagues. Warnock obviously wouldn't be the footballing purist that I'd like to see but he'd put a smile on faces as would Di Canio. Alternatively, we need to look at who has a decent record of success in league 1 & 2 or in the second tier leagues on the continent and would be able to take the best continental players within our budget.

I also think the chief scout is a much under-rated role in any club and, after the manager, I'd like to see the Club give as much weight to that position and seek out someone who can spot the young and up and coming players. I think a lot of Coppell's success can be attributed to whoever it was who recruited his players at Reading.

I agree, Del Boy has failed to strengthen in the areas that are so important in CB and CM but instead of buying proven, quality championship players he has spent the money on championship rejects and poor SPL players in Pearson, Morris and Mark Wilson. And its all well and good buying quality strikers in davies and baldock but a solid defence and midfield should of been first on his to do list. Someone like Danny Shittu or Andre bikey could make all the difference for us. Although it does seem we have a quality player in Danny Wilson, too bad the undroppable Fontaine keeps him out of the side

I'd leave everything as it is now , and bumble along in the Championship or League 1 , just so we can stay at Ashton Gate.

I thought you were happy to do the same ?

I am, but at least with a team that can play entertaining football.

And one that doesn't waste money.

The impression i get, is that people seem to think the new stadium is going to be the cure for all that is going wrong...and that we will get in the prem.

We would be ok ish if we hadn't wasted money.

I agree, Del Boy has failed to strengthen in the areas that are so important in CB and CM but instead of buying proven, quality championship players he has spent the money on championship rejects and poor SPL players in Pearson, Morris and Mark Wilson. And its all well and good buying quality strikers in davies and baldock but a solid defence and midfield should of been first on his to do list. Someone like Danny Shittu or Andre bikey could make all the difference for us. Although it does seem we have a quality player in Danny Wilson, too bad the undroppable Fontaine keeps him out of the side

Shittu and Bikey are out of our wage structure i'm afraid.

Proven manager? Like who?

It doesn't matter who is appointed as manager there is still no gaurantee that they'll be a success. All managers fail at some point in their careers. Even Sir Alex Ferguson failed at St Mirren.

What City need is a manager with knowledge of the Championship. Someone like Colin or Holloway.

Proven manager? Like who?

It doesn't matter who is appointed as manager there is still no gaurantee that they'll be a success. All managers fail at some point in their careers. Even Sir Alex Ferguson failed at St Mirren.

What City need is a manager with knowledge of the Championship. Someone like Colin or Holloway.

Which is what i've been saying since the time of GJ leaving.

I think you are right in much of what you say but there are so many 'proven' managers that fail or can only succeed with a large budget. Dave Jones perhaps being the latest example. So when we look for a 'proven manager is needs to be one who can get success 'on the cheap' by dealing effectively in the transfer market and blooding young players. The likes of Warnock and Holloway can do that and spot a bargain from the lower leagues. Warnock obviously wouldn't be the footballing purist that I'd like to see but he'd put a smile on faces as would Di Canio. Alternatively, we need to look at who has a decent record of success in league 1 & 2 or in the second tier leagues on the continent and would be able to take the best continental players within our budget.

I also think the chief scout is a much under-rated role in any club and, after the manager, I'd like to see the Club give as much weight to that position and seek out someone who can spot the young and up and coming players. I think a lot of Coppell's success can be attributed to whoever it was who recruited his players at Reading.

Ooops sorry missed your post. I agree wholeheartedly... although i would prefer not to go with lower league managers from this country. Try something different. Pretty every other club is trying to do the same as us. Let's do something different maybe... like Swansea?

They were both under GJ. We do need better scouting of course but if Del and Doc were to do some scouting of themselves in the lower leagues of Europe I'm sure there is players out there who are capable.

We'd have to be very lucky to attract capable players from Europe to join us though, especially in our predicament. Lets hope they enjoy a challenge!! It's always hit n' miss wether they settle into their new environments etc.. Great when it pays off but coming here would probably destroy them at the moment!

I don't know why the club doesnt take advantage of the fans around the country. I live in Manchester and am roughly 45 mins from about 20 clubs so could quite easily pass on info from local papers or stuff from friends at work or watch the odd game. If a few fans did this we would have a good scouting network with up to date info on most players.

We have fans in Sweden, france, Poland, china, USA, Australia. If they gave recommendations and club just watched videos it would highlight players from around the world or they just used fm like Everton.

They were both under GJ. We do need better scouting of course but if Del and Doc were to do some scouting of themselves in the lower leagues of Europe I'm sure there is players out there who are capable.

i will say one player erimenko who we had on trail quality why we never signed him ill never no think he is will a big club now and quincey awusu obaey< think thats how u spell it we had him on trial to hes another quality player

I don't know why the club doesnt take advantage of the fans around the country. I live in Manchester and am roughly 45 mins from about 20 clubs so could quite easily pass on info from local papers or stuff from friends at work or watch the odd game. If a few fans did this we would have a good scouting network with up to date info on most players.

We have fans in Sweden, france, Poland, china, USA, Australia. If they gave recommendations and club just watched videos it would highlight players from around the world or they just used fm like Everton.

Why don't you then ? If something interesting comes to your attention , send it in to the club. If they choose to ignore it , at least you've done your bit.

Archived