IGNORED

Forum Member With Longest City Support

Eco

I seem to remember Rednready saying that he was 70 - and name checking a group of players that my dad told me about. (I'm 48 and my first Ashton Gate game would have been in 1971 or 72).

If he's been attending as long as I have, he probably takes the Otib record.

(You around Rednready? Hope you don't mind me staking your claim)

Thank you for remembering,Red Robbo.

My 70th is next month, watched my first match at the gate in 1947. Due to ill health I don't post much any more, but I had hoped to see one more promotion before my departure. At my age it just gets harder to accept our failure.

We have had injuries, we have a revamped squad, but we are where we are, because the other teams are better than us and score more goals. Its not rocket science. Leadership should come from the top. Our Owner and our manager should be leading, add to that, we need a strong on field leader...... who is that ?

We all bleed BCFC, we all want success, at this stage I would say league 1 is a definite probability and I am looking at Sheffield United and saying, they were once a good club, as were many others in league 1. It will be a step down and Lansdowne may revise his business plan. To rise above the drop zone will need a tremendous effort from players and fans.

Can it be done ?

Mum and Dad took me when I was a babber in 1956. First match I remember though was about 1961 when we played QPR at home. 3-0 up at half time and the ref called it off due to fog. We drew the re-arranged game I think.

Even in those days my old grandad, Alfie Spencer use to trudge out of the ground saying "That's it - I'm not going anymore!"

Even in those days my old grandad, Alfie Spencer use to trudge out of the ground saying "That's it - I'm not going anymore!"

Hahaha, thats one thing that never changes eh, still hear that after matches, even more so in recent seasons.

Thank you for remembering,Red Robbo.

My 70th is next month, watched my first match at the gate in 1947. Due to ill health I don't post much any more, but I had hoped to see one more promotion before my departure. At my age it just gets harder to accept our failure.

We all bleed BCFC, we all want success,

Can it be done ?

Well put Rednready its taken years to put City in this league and we are going down without any fight or pride no one expects league cup runs let alone fa cup success eg beyond the 3rd round any more.

Your so right its an age thing we have seen clubs eg Southampton,Norwich City and especially Swansea City fly past us in the last couple of seasons,those of us who have gone for years could name many others...

Like yourself ITS THE CONSTANT FAILURE i can't accept..

Quite pleased there is a load on here older than me!!!!!!

Ive been at the Gate since i was 9 years of age and that means following them for 45 years. (jesus)

Seen some great times but far out weighed by the bad sadly. Remember a time when we were in the basement league and almost bottom i went down to a night match and had a whole block in the Williams stand to myself with around 3000 or so at the game.

Been on the forum for a lifetime although i have already made up my mind that the 10,000 post will be the last and leave it to young unnes to carry on the arguements.

There has been some quality posters on here over the years, a couple still left as well but the majority have fled.

Come on Arn, quality posting old stagers like you can't quit the forum, just like there's no deserting BCFC.

Mods, any chance of putting his post count back to nought? ;)

Bit wrong there KM, allthe forwards scored...Sharpe Kellard Garland, Galley and Skirton !

Then we did a bit of "weeding" in the flower beds at full time :0)

That's the first game I remember.

It was a Cub outing arranged by the pack leader who was a Rovers fan.

Despite it being his obvious intention to indoctrinate us all into following the gas we ended up at the front of the Open End at Eastvile.

I didn't like the place at all, the gasworks, the horrible blue quarters, 'Irene', Harold, Harold' - what I did take to immediately was the team, and fans, bedecked in Red.

What a fantastic atmosphere in that end, what a win by City and how exciting as a 10 year old to see the triumphant City fans trample the flower beds at the end before charging to the front of the stand to the left to cheer the City captain holding the cup.

A completely new world for me. I left the ground buzzing that night as a new Bristol City fan.

First home game I remember was the League Cup semi final against Spurs the following season when I went along with a few friends of my own age. My Dad had been to AG a few times before I was born, but was not a football fan, so I had to find City on my own.

The first sight, sounds, and smell of the raucous East end that night will live with me forever.

43 years later I certainly don't regret it, far too many disappointments and disasters of course but some unforgettable highs as well, and I go along with the cliche that you only truly enjoy these, whether it be at Chester or Wembley, if you've been through the seasons of despair as well.

There's some olduns on ere!!

I've been going since 75, so 37 years of torment ;)

Strange though that the first City game I saw was QPR away in 67, it was just a coincidence that I saw City. We were visiting family in London and me dad took me to a random game, it was a night match, that's all I can remember, I was only 6 at the time.

There's some olduns on ere!!

I've been going since 75, so 37 years of torment ;)

Strange though that the first City game I saw was QPR away in 67, it was just a coincidence that I saw City. We were visiting family in London and me dad took me to a random game, it was a night match, that's all I can remember, I was only 6 at the time.

early September lost 3-0 ?

Just 33 years for me. Love the club but its tough right now (again).

I'm moving away in the new year but will be back as often as possible..... Got a feeling relegation will be my parting shot!!!

Anyhow, this got me thinking, in my time I don't remember home form as bad as it has been in the last 2-3 seasons - has it ever been worse? And we keep getting stuffed not just bearen -what's the biggest home defeat anyone can recall? Was it Benny's first gome game?

My first game was 51 years ago - the last game of City's first season back in Division 3 - on 29 April 1961. I remember it especially because it was the last City game for Tommy Burden - and John Atyeo scored a hat trick in a 3-0 win over Brentford.

I haven't lived in Bristol for nearly 40 years (I am based in Surrey) but still see about half of City's home games a season and perhaps a quarter of their Away games.

It has never been easy to be a City fan. We seem to be the club that will only ever be the runner up in a good season (we haven't won a league title in the whole of my 51 years!), the team that ends the terrible run of our latest opponents (Wolves last weekend, Wednesday this?) and the team that concedes goals in injury time. Oh Yes, and always loses in the Play Offs.

I am grateful though to have seen the City have 4 years in the top flight and to win a few Cup trophies along the way and to have seen great players like John Atyeo, Brian Clark (a boyhood hero) and the team that got us into Division One. More recently greats like Bob Taylor, Brian Tinnion and Scott Murray.

I have to say though that despite my optimism I can't see them coming off the bottom of the table for the 3rd season on the trot and surviving again. I am really surprised that Steve Lansdown and the Board think that there is enough evidence to suggest that Derek McInnes can turn it around after the team's "capitulation" last weekend. I really hope I am wrong but I suppose that the side have spent the majority of my 51 years in the 3rd tier of English football.

I suspect that if it is to be a relegation season City will not return straight away as "big clubs" usually do. We will have to endure yet more wilderness years - but most of us will still be there supporting them!

Enjoying this thread. The next question then is how many games have you seen and who has seen the most games? I suspect there might be a few who have beaten the 1,000 game mark (roughly equal to all home games for 40 years + cup games). I'm impressed if anyone can beat 2,000 (pretty much all home and away for 40 years)

Personally I started going in 88 but have only had a season ticket twice so clock in at a mere 150 games.

Just 33 years for me. Love the club but its tough right now (again).

I'm moving away in the new year but will be back as often as possible..... Got a feeling relegation will be my parting shot!!!

Anyhow, this got me thinking, in my time I don't remember home form as bad as it has been in the last 2-3 seasons - has it ever been worse? And we keep getting stuffed not just bearen -what's the biggest home defeat anyone can recall? Was it Benny's first gome game?

No, Cardiff 0-6

It's always bugged me that I don't know and can't remember the first game I attended but I know that it was in 1960 and Fred Ford had just been appointed manager. We were in Division Three (now Div 1) back then, so it seems that after more than 50 years watching, we're heading back to where it all started!

It's all been worth it though. The too few highs, eg winning at Arsenal, Tottenham, Leeds, Liverpool and ManU, the 2-2 draw at Coventry, winning against Hartlepool and Palace, promotion v Rotherham and so on, all far outweigh the m-a-n-y lows, including the drubbing we received v Wolves last weekend.

It's time to keep the faith guys. :preacher:

I first went to a game in ?1978? (Drew 1-1 with ManUre), schoolboy enclosure, natch. So only 34 years...**** me, 34 years of torture...

They should put a government health warning on football clubs, like they do on fags:

"Supporting <<insert name of club>> can seriously damage your wallet, your sanity, your relationships and your digestive tract (pies, etc)"

Archived