IGNORED

Forum Member With Longest City Support

Eco

My first match was 1960 when I was 11. I didn’t go any earlier as all my family were Rovers supporters! (They weren’t called the “Gas” in those days). They all thought I was mad when I switched to City but, even with the ups and downs over the years, it was a wise decision. I can’t remember much about the match other than Atyeo scored with one of his great headers.

The ground was obviously much different in the 60s and I used stand in various places, usually the covered end or crackers corner. For the benefit of younger supporters, crackers corner was at the open end between the Atyeo stand and the Dolman stand. It was given this nickname by the players because the comments shouted at them by the regulars were crazy. Hence, the people who stood there were "crackers”.

An unusual feature at that time were two rows of benches, one in front of what is now the Williams stand and the other in front of the old cowshed stand (now the Dolman.) Both were in front of the fence and next to the pitch. You could pay to sit in front of the Williams. The benches in front of the cowshed were reserved for bus drivers and conductors. In those days there were lots of buses running to the ground from all over the city and the crews were allowed in free. You could always tell when there was only 5 minutes remaining in the match as they all got up and left

Bloody hell there are some oldies on here ;)

My first game was a FA cup tie against a lower league team and we won something like 7-2, loved it! Was about 12 or so years ago I think.

Lew, we are basically on a forum with men who still love black and white films and take 30 minutes to send a 15 letter text message.

I wouldn't have it any other way. :wub:

snapback.pngLew-T, on 04 December 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

Bloody hell there are some oldies on here ;)

My first game was a FA cup tie against a lower league team and we won something like 7-2, loved it! Was about 12 or so years ago I think.

Lew, we are basically on a forum with men who still love black and white films and take 30 minutes to send a 15 letter text message.

.... and those who still hanker to see a flat-hatted geezer run alongside the pitch with a handful of gert numbers, to fill in the half-time scoreboard! :ill:

I've never really thought about how long I've been going down the gate, but first match was 1987 vs PNE as a 7 year old, game finished 2-2, Joe Jordan scored and I've been hooked ever since. Even managed to get myself a stewarding job in the 98 promotion season as i needed work and couldnt afford to go down, ended up getting paid to watch city!

Well i am 40 now and have been watching City since i was 10 maybe 11, so 30 yearsish. Not as long as some but i started watching when we were on the four season drop and missed out on the top flight. So the only good times i remember are...... Cooper, Jordan, Ward and Johnson.

37 years supporting but only got to my first game in 1997 (bloody Irish Sea!!) a 3-1 victory over Plymouth Argyle.

Despite the ever present failure its actually never boring following city and I've enjoyed every minute of it. I think I would find following Man Ure or Arsenal very boring indeed wondering whether we would finish 1st, 2nd, 3rd of 4th every year.

With City on the other hand you never know which division your going to be in!!

any one posting on here watch the fa cup game against pne in 1935 watched by a crowd of

43,335 must be some one

:winner_third_h4h: :winner_third_h4h: :winner_third_h4h:

Yes me, but I only went because the club had a cut price deal for OAPs!

Can't match RednReady, though my parents started taking me when I was 3 or 4, so that makes it around 60 years or so. I used stand with my M&D looking through the railings as they were behind the goal in the East End, or covered end as we called it then. I used to take a tennis ball to play with because I got so bored and fed up watching what was going on.

60 years later I now sit in D block in the Dolman and don't take a tennis ball to play with. The other feelings though have returned.

Take a bow Rednready

That is real and true support over such a long period

His name surley must be listed with the Samaritans?

Thank you Arn, always a feel good read.

Been away for a while, medical reasons, but now have a bedside PC........Ready for medicated action ?

By the way, I hit 70 on the 12th I would love an otib cyber party, could be my last.

Happy new year and thank you for you're great contribution to Otib and the yellow submarine forum. Always a head on contribution, good for you and good for the forum.

Cheers Mate,

Rednready.

Been away for a while, medical reasons, but now have a bedside PC........Ready for medicated action ?

By the way, I hit 70 on the 12th I would love an otib cyber party, could be my last.

Happy new year and thank you for you're great contribution to Otib and the yellow submarine forum. Always a head on contribution, good for you and good for the forum.

Cheers Mate,

Rednready.

Medication, add some booze on your birthday, way hay, god knows what you could write.

Hoping you see a few more birthdays yet.

Bit wrong there KM, allthe forwards scored...Sharpe Kellard Garland, Galley and Skirton !

Then we did a bit of "weeding" in the flower beds at full time :0)

gr8 night back then.. did a bit of weeding (come tiptoe through the tote end, with your make up & and your powder puffs, tiptoe through the tote end) as well, never seen so many police horses in all me life around muller rd

Cheers Mate,

Rednready.

For a man of your age, you certainly are up with the times!

Archived