IGNORED

Forum Member With Longest City Support

Eco

In the current bout of wrist slashing everyone seems to be proclaiming their longevity in terms of supporting the club ie. 'I've been a supporter for XXX years and it's the worst I've ever seen blah blah blah....

The record is 53 years which I noticed in a recent post, can't remember the poster unfortunately, just wondering who that was and if any forum member can beat that.

Was that against Arsenal youth per chance, cos that was my first game and a week later my first first team game, so 55 years for me. 1st away game Torquay 1961.

mere youngter compared to you boys

wales schoolboys down the gate.sir geoff merrick was captain of our boys! then leyton orient, 2.0 win.

how about that a clean sheet! both games 1966,

1958 me as well with me dad in crackers corner and me down the front stood on an orange box to see over the fence and wearing a rosette , scarf bobble hat and I had me rattle that took 2 hands to turn.......1 was only 4 but safe then down the front with all the other kids ,I cried every time we lost then and still got sore eyes today ..... Nothing changes!!!!!!

I seem to remember Rednready saying that he was 70 - and name checking a group of players that my dad told me about. (I'm 48 and my first Ashton Gate game would have been in 1971 or 72).

If he's been attending as long as I have, he probably takes the Otib record.

(You around Rednready? Hope you don't mind me staking your claim)

i witnessed my first match stood on the tote end, i think i was about twelve at the time, details are a tad sketchy so maybe

someone could help me out, mid to late sixties, think we won 5-0 with Galley scoring a hat trick, but like i said, a tad sketchy

BTW it was the gloucester cup.....i think

so as far as supporting city, roughly 47 years ish... :ill:

i witnessed my first match stood on the tote end, i think i was about twelve at the time, details are a tad sketchy so maybe

someone could help me out, mid to late sixties, think we won 5-0 with Galley scoring a hat trick, but like i said, a tad sketchy

BTW it was the gloucester cup.....i think

so as far as supporting city, roughly 47 years ish... :ill:

Bit wrong there KM, allthe forwards scored...Sharpe Kellard Garland, Galley and Skirton !

Then we did a bit of "weeding" in the flower beds at full time :0)

Almst embarrassed to admit to 54 years -- but may not be much longer!! It is the most crazy hobby, commitment ever -- esp our attachment to City above almost any other club of its potential. In all that time the few highs and real successes hardly justify any loyalty at all. As people continue to say, and this is what has kept me going but is becoming an ever fading hope, this club has no reason at all for not being in the Premier League. We are a small club admittedly -- but with success I have no doubt we could sustain full houses over a good period of time as per the likes of Stoke, Wigan, Norwich and Bolton.

This prospect sadly is nowhere near -- the only hope, and I feel I really don't want it, is foreign investment and a bomb blowing out all the continuing acceptance of failure and being at best average and at worst very poor.

I have some great memories however - from Atyeo seeing us get promotion with double over Shrewsbury, 11 goals against Chichester - Cheesley's goal at the North End at Arsenal and more -- but they are few and far between spread over the time I have been supporting them.

Bit wrong there KM, allthe forwards scored...Sharpe Kellard Garland, Galley and Skirton !

Then we did a bit of "weeding" in the flower beds at full time :0)

Thanks for the info, like i said my memories were a tad sketchy, what year was it, couldnt find it on the wiki site,

do remember the flower arranging at full time tho !

Quite pleased there is a load on here older than me!!!!!!

Ive been at the Gate since i was 9 years of age and that means following them for 45 years. (jesus)

Seen some great times but far out weighed by the bad sadly. Remember a time when we were in the basement league and almost bottom i went down to a night match and had a whole block in the Williams stand to myself with around 3000 or so at the game.

Been on the forum for a lifetime although i have already made up my mind that the 10,000 post will be the last and leave it to young unnes to carry on the arguements.

There has been some quality posters on here over the years, a couple still left as well but the majority have fled.

Quite pleased there is a load on here older than me!!!!!!

Ive been at the Gate since i was 9 years of age and that means following them for 45 years. (jesus)

Seen some great times but far out weighed by the bad sadly. Remember a time when we were in the basement league and almost bottom i went down to a night match and had a whole block in the Williams stand to myself with around 3000 or so at the game.

Been on the forum for a lifetime although i have already made up my mind that the 10,000 post will be the last and leave it to young unnes to carry on the arguements.

There has been some quality posters on here over the years, a couple still left as well but the majority have fled.

Dont leave Arn, you gotta keep the flag flying in the wood !

1958 my first match, when I was an 11 year old: so, work it out, does that make me one of the oldest gits on here? Seem to remember the match was against Middlesbrough, Cloughie up front for them, and a certain J Atyeo for us. Started supporting City because of JA: he went to my old school, and lived in the same village (Dilton Marsh), as one of my old classmates. We used to play for the school team on Saturday mornings, then catch the train from Trowbridge to Ashton Gate station, changing at Temple Meads....

1958 my first match, when I was an 11 year old: so, work it out, does that make me one of the oldest gits on here? Seem to remember the match was against Middlesbrough, Cloughie up front for them, and a certain J Atyeo for us. Started supporting City because of JA: he went to my old school, and lived in the same village (Dilton Marsh), as one of my old classmates. We used to play for the school team on Saturday mornings, then catch the train from Trowbridge to Ashton Gate station, changing at Temple Meads....

Yes it does I'm afraid. Your 'service' isn't quite as long as Roadrunner's though !

Archived